Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I've had this idea for a while but basically most AIO's (decent AIO's that is) have coolant temperature sensors built in so that certain software can read the coolant temperature, yes. Well when you build a custom loop you loose this ability, my idea is for you to go to the scrapyard and get a coolant temperature sensor from an engine and hook it up to loop in working order so that you can read the coolant temperature. 

this is the type of sensor I'm on about...

Image result for Coolant Temperature Sensor

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

17 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I've had this idea for a while but basically most AIO's (decent AIO's that is) have coolant temperature sensors built in so that certain software can read the coolant temperature, yes. Well when you build a custom loop you loose this ability, my idea is for you to go to the scrapyard and get a coolant temperature sensor from an engine and hook it up to loop in working order so that you can read the coolant temperature. 

this is the type of sensor I'm on about...

Image result for Coolant Temperature Sensor

there's just regular fitting sensors for that. i have one in my loop right in the hottest spot before the 240 rad.

https://www.aquatuning.nl/waterkoeling/monitoring/thermosensors/6650/aquacomputer-temperature-sensor-inline-g1/4-for-aquaero-aquastream-xt-and-aquaduct

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

there's just regular fitting sensors for that. i have one in my loop right in the hottest spot before the 240 rad.

https://www.aquatuning.nl/waterkoeling/monitoring/thermosensors/6650/aquacomputer-temperature-sensor-inline-g1/4-for-aquaero-aquastream-xt-and-aquaduct

Didn't know these existed.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Didn't know these existed.  

There's a whole subset of water-cooling gear just for temp monitoring. Aqua computer has lots of hardware and software solutions. 

I have my sensor just plugged into a simple stand alone display to read out the temps. (Don't mind the currently high temps, trying to push some higher overclocks atm) 

IMG_20190324_183639.thumb.jpg.b0a7447c1eb01c1feadbed961721056b.jpg

Rep some Canadian tech and benchmark some ATI graphics cards against the 2080Ti. It'd also go with the theme of looking back at old tech and I have an R37LC that you could borrow if you wanted.

IMG_2595.JPG

How about installing the entire studio with pre-installed mics that can all be connected to 1 computer to record audio from that can instantly be stored into the vault or were current files are stored. mics that need to connect wireless could be connected wireless to a hub which has a direct wired asses to the audio PC. This could save time moving files for audio and a little more freedom as you do not have to worry about setting it up you just need to press recorded when you pic the mics up and boom pre saved on the server. It would also alow you to edit the audio live as it comes in whether that is increasing the the audio level or making sure you are actialy recording audio until it is too late and you have to re record. (Plus the wan show will sound better as you could have someone check the audio at the start and adjust accordingly so Luke and Linus do not have to worry)

Scrapyard Wars idea:

Go to an electronics recycling center. Not like Free Geek, where they intend to reuse/sell components, but an actual real scrapyard. No budget, just scavenging over a few days.

I admit for this to succeed will be heavily dependent on finding a recycling center that will not only cooperate but also has a plentiful supply of working computers/components while still being an actual scrapyard. But IMO it would make a very different video than previous episodes as it would be a challenge in finding working parts, rather than hunting for the best deal. I would hope this would also result in some more creative/janky builds. Recent Scrapyard Wars episodes, and computer building in general, has become too modular and predictable. I want to see some old school knowledge put to the test in finding compatible parts. 

See how much power consumption you can get out of a system

incoming two systems with 9980XE OC to 1.4V (600-700W) and multiple R9 295X2s (500W each), all put in a Corsair 1000D

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

How about a video about multi screen system requirements? I get horrible lags (100% cpu-load) when sliding around tabs with 1440p, 144Hz content on my new 2nd screen.

I can't find any benchmarks or videos on high quality multimedia content (>youtube 1440p) with multiple screens.

It'd be rather difficult to quantize the smoothness of moving tabs. But it would be sweet to know how much more power is needed. Is an i7 enough? How about at 3 or 4 screens, does that require an i9? Or does ryzen work well here? What about at 2x 4k, 144Hz?

Would love to see an episode optimizing a traveling PC gaming setup for multiplayer games.

Rate the best laptops, controllers, and peripherals that can all fit in a backpack on their portability (weight, battery life, size, need for cables, etc.)

I've got a dream of bringing my laptop to a friends place and just whipping out a few controllers to play Overcooked, or Starwhal, or emulated Mario Kart or something (kinda like those dweebs on the rooftop party in the Nintendo Switch commercial), but most setups I've been able to mess with so far are either too bulky for travel, require a lot of cables/dongles, or have annoying setup times and controller pairing processes. I'm sure there's an optimal collection of peripherals and software solutions (like pairing bluetooth controllers to the bluetooth chip on my laptop), but it's been a slog for me to figure it out, and I'm sure the resources of the LTT team to try a number of setups is probably far superior to my home testing.

I seen where he did a video creating an arcade machine, so how about a video creating a virtual digital pinball machine?

Look at this youtube video to follow up on the idea and it says freeware? so that is a plus!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD3jvaIJycBPtRKgl03cBbA is a link to the group for visual pinball

here is a link to a video for better info

Interesting to see if he can do this :)

Handy tech under 100...

to fight zombies. 

Edit 

or to wait out until it all blows over

Since all the debate about article 13 in the eu is making vpn services important for eu citizens because of  the fear of geo blocking,

how about a video of "How to set up your own private VPN on a server you rent somewhere in the world"?
Perhaps that's something Anthony could help with! Could be fun and informative.

47 minutes ago, Retorak said:

Since all the debate about article 13 in the eu is making vpn services important for eu citizens because of  the fear of geo blocking,

how about a video of "How to set up your own private VPN on a server you rent somewhere in the world"?
Perhaps that's something Anthony could help with! Could be fun and informative.

Probably wouldn't go well with Tunnelbear, one of their sponsors that offers VPN services.

Besides, wouldn't that mean, you only get access via the country where you rent your server? Compared to the dozens provided by services.

LTT should do a video on the most comfortable desktop setup (including desk, chair, and monitor). What I mean by this is not just super comfortable peripherals but software and hardware. The type of person that the build should be for is someone who works long hard days that when comes home just wants to either relax with a movie, music, video games, or whatever else. The software part should be things so that said person doesn't have to worry about viruses, makes it so that they can use multi forms of media in one place, and anything else that make the setup effortless to use.

If anyone has any ideas to add post them below and also like this if you think this is a good idea.

My most comfortable setup is standing but it might not be for you! (see where this can be a problem?)

well then the best desk for this build would be a cheap raisable desk

@ work I stack my monitors on some boxes and put my keyboard and mouse on stacks of old HP desktops to lift them up lol. However at home I'd say a lazyboy chair with some sort of wireless kb/m would be good in front of a 4k tv for media. and a standard chair and desk for gaming.

tank desktop and folding chair

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

We have had multiple styles of CPU Builds. The latest being E-Bay. Can we do a Wish Dot Com Only Build?

I was bored today and started thinking about how to improve my computer a bit and found an article about optimizing your search indexes in windows 10, and with a bit of finnegaling and time I got my search bar to be a lot better than the default always pulls up web page searches. I thought this might be a cool idea for a video, a sort of how to guide on how to do this. I found my info from this webpage (follow at your own risk) I just got to it from a google search: 
https://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/01/how-to-make-windows-10s-search-lightning-fast-and-more-useful/

Linus, 

You like to review expensive things with sometimes dubious quality / specification claims, since you're building a big home theater in your studio / home / pool, this would make for an interesting video review. 

Hi-End Stereophile gear prices can be through the roof, it's referred to as "luxury audio" by JBL who has a whole division dedicated to building products for the same customer that would buy that HP Omen X monitor you just reviewed. We all know that ferrite magnets are put on some cables to reduce RF on audio and data cables. But as for the digital media going across a data cable having it's audio quality differ because of a ferrite magnet? 

A hi-end audio home theater cable company in the US has come out with a "special USB-C" cable that is "tuneable" (??) that's supposed to give you better audio by massaging the data (?). http://www.stealthaudiocables.com/products/usb-cables/usb/

This company has a product called: STEALTH USB –T
“T” stands for “tunable” – the sliding ferromagnetic collar allows to fine-tune the sound.

They claim

"Such a sliding collar proved to be quite efficient on our AC cords, loudspeaker cables and the Sextet V14-T, and it works as efficient for the USB cables.

The user moves this collar along the cable, while listening, and at a certain position the sound comes into focus – the same way as it is with a photo lens. This is a tedious procedure, and it usually requires several hours of careful listening, but the ending result is definitely worth the effort.

The Select version is made of all hand-picked selected parts and wires; the cables is hand-tuned using our proprietary measuring equipment, it is a labor intensive and lengthy procedure, this is why the price for the Select is higher."

PRICING
The suggested Retail for the standard STEALTH USB is $850 in 1 meter, and $200 for extra meter;

The suggested Retail for the USB-T (user-tunable) version is $1250 in 1 meter, and $200 for extra meter;

The suggested Retail for the USB-T SELECT (user-tunable SELECT VERSION) version is $1650 in 1 meter, and $350 for extra meter

Another idea I have for you is along the lines of the informative / educational. 

I really liked the LIGO facility - Gravitational Waves video and the IBM Model M video, you're probably scratching your head on more content to do like that.  Reminds of PBS programming here in the US, a lot of that content came from Canada as I remember. There was a program called NOVA that delved into the deeply scientific topics that you're getting into. 

You could expand on the LIGO video by doing a Part 2 and go to Fermilab near Chicago in Batavia, Illinois, they are connected to LIGO and CERN (Part 3?) in France, the tours are free and AWESOME! If you remember the lab in Tron? (the original), it's like that and cooler. - http://www.fnal.gov/

Here's an image from inside the facility deep underground, they have it all lit up with nice lighting for effect here. 

fermilab2.jpg

Another good video would be to talk about Moore's Law and where modern computing ends at the point where silicon melts and what the future has in store and how soon will it be here? Details could review Supercomputing / P-Type vs N-Type doping, etc, you could call it, what if we could run CPU's at 5GHz speeds at room temperature? 

Great work with what you're doing, keep up the great work.