YouTube bans comments on all videos of children

_105846085_ytkids.png.jpeg.641dfdba90021374511f9a52d4170a3c.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47408969
WTF Google!

Once again its the minority "groups" ruining it for everyone else!
Whats next, facebook banning all commenting on photos / videos of kids?! ?

Obviously they will be using facial recognition and advanced algorithms to calculate which videos contain minors... however how will this detect videos such as archived footage going back several decades.
For example I upload a video of myself as a child (80's child ftwrunning around on a beach whilst on holiday ... will that commenting be disabled for featuring a child?

Or how about artists like Aled Jones... he has just released music albums of him singing in duet with himself as a child... and I've seen video compilations on youtube of him as a child as well.
Or Michael Jackson singing as a child on youtube... how will the algorithms cope with that!!!!!

----------------------------------------

Granted... there are is a lot of COMMENT guff in the majority of mainstream content so trolls won't be too pleased either!

My problem is the whole blanket ban approach.. this kind of approach never ends well... and it sets a president for other companies

I use Facebook for example to share video content of my child with grandparents and family members, some of which live thousands of miles away..

Again my problem with this blanket approach is that other media companies like Facebook will more than likely repeat this approach on their own platforms and all of a sudden can't comment on family stuff!

Some further examples...

High Street Bookstores

...here in the UK we have Waterstones... a large retail chain who's primary product is books.
If this blanket ban mentality continues either as a direct decision by the retailers themselves or as a mandate by Government, then in this example, the children sections of these stores which are decorated to attract and please children, suddenly became a no go zone enforced by staff for adults!

The mentality would be that there is a possibility of Peadophiles hanging out in this section of the store, running the risk of attempting to offer the children sweeties and puppy dogs! AKA blanket ban of ALL adults entering the children area of Waterstones bookshops!

Lucozade

This is now a product which has received a blanket ban to children conversely
Because of its high caffeine and sugar content, minors are legally restricted from purchasing this and similar products.

Let's say Im out for the count with flu symptons and I need my 11year old child to head to the local shop to buy me some.

Nope, the government have blanket banned minors from purchasing "energy drinks" because of a small amount of incidents where minors have either died or come to severe harm because of these products.

What happened to educating children? Be-it in the home or in school (or both).
Or look at China and the almost complete ban of all but government sanctioned website and internet products.

BLANKET BANS = NANNY STATE PEOPLE!
Why should companies like google or governments forcing them, try and protect the public from harm?
When it comes to children, its education / education / education all the way.

Yeah, putting a plaster on a wound inflicted by a saber.

Not great but better than nothing.

All that because of some dude who wasn't sucessful on youtube and wants to burn it all down with all on there because he was not sucessful with his shit.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

inb4 YouTube gets banned

But seriously, does Google really think any of this will work? How does a computer determine if someone's a kid or not. Lots of grown ups look like kids. Also, do teens count as kids?

What about that 27 year old dude on YouTube who hasn't hit puberty? Is he a kid?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

As we know, YouTube does knee jerk reactions and then dials down the reaction. It'd difficult to have nice things when so many people are total sickos. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

37 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

wait how do they know if it's a child?

What if it's just Linus because he's really short? ?

Poor Kevin Hart. 

People didnt want content with minors to be demonitized, well this is how that happens until a magical perfect system is found that exactly only filters true offensive stuff, and knows jokes and context and all that other crap.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I gonna quote myself

Maybe google is sick of running YouTube so now they are just trying to force people off so they can tell their investors "yeah all the creators just left" instead of "we fucked up and have no idea what we are doing or how to fix it" 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

so what if a kid walks in the background? what if it's something with highschool aged kids? What's the criteria? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Their platform their rule, live with it or move onto something else

Its really stupid. Children aren't being harmed by pedos being watching or commenting on innocent videos. Youtube is just being reactionary and hurting regular users in response.

The worst thing is this isn't going to fix the issue, it's just going to drive it underground. The stuff that was in the comments will move to alternative communication methods whilst the videos will continue to be used for the same purposes, only now it will be way harder to figure out which channels are involved in this.

YouTube is great at fixing problems by causing more. That's why it's been broken as shit for me recently.

Like when they fucked up being able to get videos to encode in VP9 and Opus just by using the editor.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

the USSR  has struck youtube...

Image result for ourtube

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

that's their solution?

I would have just banned kids 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The only reason YouTube did this is because people stirred up the media and brigades companies who advertised on YouTube. Because of thst YouTube has to do something. Explaining what they were currently doing to combat these issue wouldn’t work. 

Youtube is in a lose-lose situation. Either they go aggressive Amme innocent channels get affected or they go gently and guilty people get away with it. Both get them in shit with people.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Quite honestly it's the best solution they could do nowadays if you consider the sheer size of the network, so having an automated system completely disable comments while having to deal with the occasional false positive.

Better than giving pedos a platform, they will still use it, but at least it made it harder for them to consume that kind of content.

3 hours ago, CarlBar said:

The worst thing is this isn't going to fix the issue, it's just going to drive it underground. The stuff that was in the comments will move to alternative communication methods whilst the videos will continue to be used for the same purposes, only now it will be way harder to figure out which channels are involved in this.

Exactly!  Youtube are worried about either receiving fines from regulatory government knee jerk reactions or upsetting their youtube superstars from loosing money!  Also as my original comments, what's next, companies /governments blocking adults from going into toyshops incase there is peedos planning on grooming kids! 

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

Its really stupid. Children aren't being harmed by pedos being watching or commenting on innocent videos. Youtube is just being reactionary and hurting regular users in response.

Also true!

Before everyone burns Youtube at the stake, please read up a bit on why this is happening.

A few weeks ago, a channel called "MattsWhatItIs" posted a video called:

"Youtube is Facilitating the Sexual Exploitation of Children, and it's Being Monetized (2019)"

In the video, he talks about some channels on Youtube uploaded videos like children in bikinis, and those videos were monetized (just kids playing around, totally family friendly, right?). However, the comment section were filled with people linking to time stamps with more "explicit" things happens, like maybe a child is in some sexual pose or whatever.

So as any calm and rational people would do, Matt riled up a brigade of furious people and all of them started contacting advertisers, calling for a boycott of Youtube until the problem was solved. As a result, several major advertisers such as Disney, Nestle and Epic Games pulled all their ads on Youtube.

And this is Youtube's quick fix to the issue, which they were essentially forced to implement because of the call for boycotting Youtube.

I don't think people fully understand how massive Youtube is when they say they shouldn't implement widespread and generic policies.

300 hours of video are uploaded to Youtube EVERY MINUTE. On top of that Google gets about 1400 DMCA takedown notices every minute, and failure to comply with even a single one could potentially cost them billions of dollars in fines.

When you have 300 hours of video uploaded every single minute, 24 hours a day, and billions upon billions of viewers (5 billion videos are watched every day, if I recall correctly), there isn't really room for checking every single video and comment for context. It's easy to sit in your chair, look at a single video and go "this one is good, so it should be allowed", but it's hell of a lot harder to analyze 750 days worth of video every hour (yes, over a year worth of video is uploaded to Youtube every single hour).

And to top it all of, are these changes really that bad? I doubt that every single video featuring even a little bit of a child will get demonetized and comments disabled. My guess is that this filter will work on a more primitive level such as looking for keywords. Doing content analysis on video is not really possible, at least not on the scale of Youtube.

And should those types of videos actually be monetized and have comments enabled to begin with? I saw some vlogging mom on Twitter curse at Youtube because she could no longer monetize her videos of her child playing, or sleeping or whatever it was. Why even have that monetized to begin with!?