Why did the headphone jack cross the road? OnePlus says it's due to the in-display finger scanner

D13H4RD
8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

For crying out loud, the Galaxy S5 was water resistant too, and that phone had a removable battery (the entire back came off).

Ah yes, I remember. They added a rubber gasket on the cover alongside a flap on the USB port to give it a pretty good IP67 rating. And it actually was quite resistant provided you properly close the flap and cover. 

There was one problem though. A lot of the phones with removable backs I own did one thing when dropped; Their backs popped off, presumably by design. Probably good to prevent further, worse damage, but it also has a bit of a side effect.

If you dropped an S5 onto a wet surface and the back pops off, well, rip. Though if it's inside a case, it'll probably be fine. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

-snip-

Yup. It's entirely possible to design a phone and have it be waterproof even with a headphone jack - or even a removable back.

8 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

Yup. It's entirely possible to design a phone and have it be waterproof even with a headphone jack - or even a removable back.

That’s why engineering exists. You engineer your way around the problem to create a solution. 

Remember when Boeing said they can’t go faster than the 707? Look what Convair did.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

That’s why engineering exists. You engineer your way around the problem to create a solution. 

"Hey, look buddy. I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems."

3 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

"Hey, look buddy. I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems."

"Ah solve practical problems" 

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

"Ah solve practical problems" 

"But not problems like, "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

I solve practical problems."

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Though if it's inside a case, it'll probably be fine. 

What kind of idiot does not have a case on its phone? o.O

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

What kind of idiot does not have a case on its phone? o.O

I know a lot of people, and many of them are in much better conditions than mine for which I always have a quite a big case. Some people are more competent in this regard.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Probably just a better sensor. IIRC the first batch really weren't that good, and even the ones in there now, while working, aren't the best either.

I really hope the ones Samsung will be using won't take up too much space, or they put more effort into fitting everything into the device.

I'd almost guarantee that their folding phone doesn't have a headphone jack, though.

According to reports, this new sensor that will probably be used in 6T is about 50% accurate in some cases, which is more than underwhelming. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/RDRv3/status/1040318264860000256?s=19

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I know a lot of people, and many of them are in much better conditions than mine for which I always have a quite a big case. Some people are more competent in this regard.

They probably do not use it that much then. My S5 had(and still) a thick rubber case + a glass screen protector from day one and its biggest aesthetic problem is the aging anti-slip coat coming off the back cover... :D

Just now, jagdtigger said:

They probably do not use it that much then. My S5 had(and still) a thick rubber case + a glass screen protector from day one and its biggest aesthetic problem is the aging anti-slip coat coming off the back cover... :D

It's weird how it can differ, few use it more than me. It confuses me. 

The thing is when manufacturer stopped including vga/serial/parallel ports few devices that are being made used them and they already became obsolete. Afaik the vast majority of headphones still use 3.5mm. ports should stop being included when they become obsolete and not the other way around.

17 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

few devices that are being made used them and they already became obsolete

I wouldnt call it obsolete when many devices still have it(although its internal in most cases, except business/industrial grade stuff)...

23 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The funny thing is that I based the title on a tweet that Carl Pei tweeted out before the OnePlus 5 launched.

Wow someone who sites sources even for jokes! amazing... looking forward to more feeds from you!

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Those don't need a visual cue if I remember 

I can't imagine it would, being ultrasonic. However who knows what kind of sensor it needs...only time will tell.

For now I'm excited about the performance of the Mate20 series, and the Nokia phones.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Apple removed the headphone jack before everyone else for one reason. To make money off of their proprietary dongles and wireless earpods.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

-threads merged again-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Celli said:

Apple removed the headphone jack before everyone else for one reason. To make money off of their proprietary dongles and wireless earpods.

from three pages ago:

On 10/3/2018 at 9:54 PM, LAwLz said:

I wonder how many people realize that several phone manufacturers had already released phones without headphones jacks before Apple did.

Hell, I am fairly sure even Intel made a statement that they want to move away from the headphone jack before Apple dropped it.

Just another example of the entire industry moving one way, Apple following along and then all of a sudden "everyone copies Apple".

Here is a news thread about Intel wanting to replace the headphone jack with USB type C.

This was in April 2016. 4.5 months before Apple announced their first iPhone without a headphone jack in September 2016. The same thread also mentions the LeEco smartphone which did not have a headphone jack.

But hey, if manufacturers start doing something almost half a year before Apple does, and then Apple decides to do it too, then clearly everyone is just copying Apple...9_9

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/3/2018 at 7:41 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

why did no one notice SOUND QUALITY of wireless headphones is much WORSE than wired headphones

No, its not. Especially with aptx-HD and LDAC. Good quality bluetooth headphones sound just as good as wired headphones. 

I am sure the best sounding headphone that exists on earth is a wired headphone. But 99.999999% of us cannot afford that. 

But in the price range that most people buy headphones, bluetooth headphones can sound just as good as the wired headphones.

But you have to keep in consideration at this time, a bluetooth headphone is more expensive than a wired headphone. So to get the same sound quality of say, a $100 wired headphone, you have to buy a more expensive bluetooth headphone. Dont expect a $100 bluetooth headphone to sound as good as a $100 wired headphone.

13 hours ago, avg123 said:

Dont expect a $100 bluetooth headphone to sound as good as a $100 wired headphone.

And that alone is enough of a reason to call forcing people into bluethooth the bullshit that it is.  The baldfaced lies/excuses as for why they 'have' to drop the jack are just insulting to hear.

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

No, its not. Especially with aptx-HD and LDAC. Good quality bluetooth headphones sound just as good as wired headphones. 

Honestly depends.

Their bitrate is high but it still isn't high enough to deliver truly lossless playback since some compression is still necessary to stream it over Bluetooth, which in the case of my 1000XM2, is BT v4.2

Audio quality is also heavily dependent on the quality of the DAC and amp either in the phone or the headphones alongside the speaker drivers.

8 hours ago, avg123 said:

No, its not. Especially with aptx-HD and LDAC. Good quality bluetooth headphones sound just as good as wired headphones

$20 Skullcandy buds sound better than the best wireless headphones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

$20 Skullcandy buds sound better than the best wireless headphones.

Here is a review of Bluetooth audio transmission by an actual audiophile. Its a long video but worth it.

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Its a long video but worth it

No, it's not. It's a waste of time.

10 minutes ago, avg123 said:

by an actual audiophile.

That's not much of a reason to consider him an expert. From what I've seen, most "audiophiles" are idiots that buy into marketting.

My personal headphones is a pair of Vmoda Crossfade  2 Wireless. Wired, they're phenominal. Wireless in a faraday cage ( no interference), they sound worse that Skullcandy buds, both of which sound better than Airpods.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.