Why did the headphone jack cross the road? OnePlus says it's due to the in-display finger scanner

D13H4RD
10 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

I totally agree with you ^^ If it means that phones become easier to waterproof and more exciting technology can be added, I don't mind at all

My S8 has exciting technology despite having a headphone jack.

Not only does it have IP68 water resistance that the iPhone hasn't had since 2018 (iPhone 7, 8, X and Xr are all IP67).

It also has wireless charging and it's got an amazing camera.

I'm calling bullshit. They didn't need to remove the headphone jack. They're just trying to strong-arm people into buying wireless headphones.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The only universe where I'm happy with the headphone jack being removed is if it's replaced by an additional USB-C port.

So that each device has a port they can use to charge and a port they can use for audio.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

My S8 has exciting technology despite having a headphone jack.

Not only does it have IP68 water resistance that the iPhone hasn't had since 2018 (iPhone 7, 8, X and Xr are all IP67).

It also has wireless charging and it's got an amazing camera.

I'm calling bullshit. They didn't need to remove the headphone jack. They're just trying to strong-arm people into buying wireless headphones.

AND it also drives the HD6xx's satisfactorily (to me anyways) though I usually leave them plugged in to an external DAC on my PC. 

I also dont mind the fingerprint reader where it is. It seems fairly natural to me at this point, because the S8+ fits my long skinny fingers relatively well while still having the lower corner rest in my palm. Hopefully a future S10 keeps the headphone jack because I'm running out of options.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I also dont mind the fingerprint reader where it is. It seems fairly natural to me at this point, because the S8+ fits my long skinny fingers relatively well while still having the lower corner rest in my palm. 

Same here with the Note8

My fingers are really long, so the placement of the FPS on that phone is, dare I say it, perfect. It’s at the exact position where I put my fingers.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I also dont mind the fingerprint reader where it is. It seems fairly natural to me at this point, because the S8+ fits my long skinny fingers relatively well while still having the lower corner rest in my palm. Hopefully a future S10 keeps the headphone jack because I'm running out of options.

I am fine with it also. I had the Nexus 6P which has the reader well below my S8+ and when I go back to try it, I didnt realize how much I have to cramp my hand to get my finger naturally on the reader. I dont have that with the S8+

I guess this is where the current smartphone industry is at right now.

ZomboMeme_03102018163246.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 hours ago, Enderman said:

Headphone jacks are more of a "want" than a "need".

so are legs. You can make do in a wheelchair. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

so are legs. You can make do in a wheelchair. 

So are wheelchairs. Crawl with your arms!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

So are wheelchairs. Crawl with your arms!

crawling is phone speaker wheelchair is dongle

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What is with this pay more for less 'advancement' people keep harping for?  The jack delivers superior sound, Bluetooth is more convenient for many.  Is there some reason we suddenly can't have both? 

Just let it die already so we can have more stuff with C connector and earbuds with it to choose from. Including a great pair in flagships would be great too. 

Really there are many other things I'd like phones to keep/have/include rather. Or ditch actually. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Bluetooth is more convenient for many

No, it's not. It really isn't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. It really isn't.

Many isn't all, or even most.  Some people want noises in their ear while being wireless and somehow don't mind it's range and interrupts, I get it.

Don't agree personally, but not going to tell them they can't have something they want either.

23 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

What is with this pay more for less 'advancement' people keep harping for?  The jack delivers superior sound, Bluetooth is more convenient for many.  Is there some reason we suddenly can't have both? 

Well, I've been using wired and wireless with my Note8....which can also send audio to 2 pairs of wireless headphones.....and can play audio through its 3.5mm jack......and its USB port supports digital audio output so I can use an external USB DAC.

The people who say you can only pick between one or the other are the same people who thinks PATA is the same as the jack. Why settle for one or the other when there's plainly the option of having both?

OnePlus' mantra has always been to Never Settle. Maybe it's about time we stop settling.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Note8....which can also send audio to 2 pairs of wireless headphones

Did the original ROM allow that or did they backport it? I thought it was introduced with the S9.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Did the original ROM allow that or did they backport it? I thought it was introduced with the S9.

It's been a thing ever since the Galaxy S8

It's a part of that phone's BT5 upgrade. It doesn't even have to be headphones. It can do one pair of headphones and a BT speaker or 2 BT speakers.

It's a hugely underrated feature that I find really nice to use.

i like the creativity in your title.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Enjoy your headphone jack while it lasts, because no matter how much you try to insult me, mobile phones in the future are not going to have it.

It's a good thing I keep all my old phones.

I'm not going to settle for something that every manufacturer has tripped their toes on even though there are clear guidelines on how to properly implement it. Not to mention I'm still not seeing any benefit for replacing the dedicated port with a jack-of-all-trades port that is likely going to only be used for 1-2 tasks.

4 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

i like the creativity in your title.

The funny thing is that I based the title on a tweet that Carl Pei tweeted out before the OnePlus 5 launched.

7 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

You know what screw it...back to old school days

Hide contents

$T2eC16FHJHoFGlF(D!7,BSB3Eflb2Q~~_32.JPG

Still have an old iPod Nano. Should make use of it.

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Still have an old iPod Nano. Should make use of it.

I mean I'll definetely be keeping my S8+ as both a wireless device and music player when I upgrade in a bagillion years from now lol

5 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I mean I'll definetely be keeping my S8+ as both a wireless device and music player when I upgrade in a bagillion years from now lol

Same with the Note8

None of the new phones have interested me, except the Note9 but even that's a pretty small one.

6 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

S4, S6, and the S8 can all serve well, as well as my Lumia 950XL, but i'd probably just buy a few old 80GB Zunes and through 120GB SSDs in them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

S4, S6, and the S8 can all serve well, as well as my Lumia 950XL, but i'd probably just buy a few old 80GB Zunes and through 120GB SSDs in them.

Now that I'm thinking about it I do have an old Itouch 4th or 5th gen I can't remember that still has the headphone jack granted its only 32gb but for nothing but music that is quite alot.