Why did the headphone jack cross the road? OnePlus says it's due to the in-display finger scanner

D13H4RD
32 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Now that I'm thinking about it I do have an old Itouch 4th or 5th gen I can't remember that still has the headphone jack granted its only 32gb but for nothing but music that is quite alot.

Should be fine

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

why? I've never understood this. are you afraid of losing or forgetting the dongle?

Essentially this.

I don't have much pocket space to carry a dongle with me in addition to everything I already carry on me even if I did have a dongle. It's much easier for my lifestyle to just use 3.5mm jack.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

14 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

For me, it's a need.

I don't want to invest in wireless headphones or a dongle just to "adapt" when my wired headphones work perfectly well. I run basically all my tech into the ground before upgrading/replacing, this is basically just the same thing.

I also can't currently afford wireless headphones even if I did need them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-TaoTronics-Waterproof-Travelling-Cancelling-Black/dp/B017I9CBPC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538583525&sr=8-4&keywords=wireless+earbuds

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Later in this thread, I also mentioned that interference turns me off from a lot of wireless peripherals.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Later in this thread, I also mentioned that interference turns me off from a lot of wireless peripherals.

What? I use $20 ones I got like a year ago and have literally never had interference issues.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

What? I use $20 ones I got like a year ago and have literally never had interference issues.

I've heard of it being a problem.

Call me old-fashioned, I like wired stuff.

I've heard of it being a problem.

Call me old-fashioned, I like wired stuff.

wireless video card rrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

She/they 

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I have $70 buds and $300 cans. Intereference is a constant outside of a faraday cage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I have $70 buds and $300 cans. Intereference is a constant outside of a faraday cage.

It may exist but that doesn't mean it automatically causes problems; cancer exists, but I don't have a cancer problem (other than the fact that I watch Drew Durnil)

She/they 

5 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

It may exist but that doesn't mean it automatically causes problems; cancer exists, but I don't have a cancer problem (other than the fact that I watch Drew Durnil)

It's still a problem, especially in areas where there are a lot of signals operating on the 2.4GHz band. 

I have 1000XM2s. They are susceptible to interference when used in a severely congested area, even when my phone is very close by. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Essentially this.

I don't have much pocket space to carry a dongle with me in addition to everything I already carry on me even if I did have a dongle. It's much easier for my lifestyle to just use 3.5mm jack.

maybe tape the dongle to the plug on your headphones? because then it's like 1 cable...

although that would only work if you only used your headphones with your phone.

look i don't like company's getting rid of the 3.5mm jack, but i do understand why. i'd rather have water resistance than a headphone jack...

She/Her

20 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'd rather have water resistance

Did that suddenly become not a thing anymore?  Could have sworn there were phones with 3.5mm jack that are water resistant.

If people want waterproof I can understand, but I don't have room in my speedos for a phone so I'd rather have 3.5mm jack.

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Did that suddenly become not a thing anymore?  Could have sworn there were phones with 3.5mm jack that are water resistant.

If people want waterproof I can understand, but I don't have room in my speedos for a phone so I'd rather have 3.5mm jack.

25 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

look i don't like company's getting rid of the 3.5mm jack, but i do understand why. i'd rather have water resistance than a headphone jack...

What is this bs? Both my V30, G7 and Samsung flagships have IP68 and 3.5mm jacks. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

There were. The XPERIAs before they went jackless and Samsung midrangers plus flagships since the S7 (S5 had it too but the Note4, S6 and Note5 didn't) come to mind, alongside the LG G6/V30/G7

11 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The XPERIAs before they went jackless

haha he said jackless...

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

What is this bs? Both my V30, G7 and Samsung flagships have IP68 and 3.5mm jacks.  

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

There were. The XPERIAs before they went jackless and Samsung midrangers plus flagships since the S7 (S5 had it too but the Note4, S6 and Note5 didn't) come to mind 

I know, but thanks for the examples.

If memory serves those phones even had great big female USB connectors on them.  That must be like a gaping wound for water to rush into if the 3.5mm jack is soo unbelievably porous.

17 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

I totally agree with you ^^ If it means that phones become easier to waterproof and more exciting technology can be added, I don't mind at all

laughs in Samsung... even though he's still using a Pixel right now

Removing the headphone jack doesn't mean shit for waterproofing! If Samsung and LG can waterproof their phones while still having a headphone jack then what's stopping everyone else? Just put a gasket around the headphone jack lmao

9 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Or at least drop it when a clear replacement standard has been found and is close to reaching maturity.

Basically when the replacement standard has had a chance to prove itself both technically and by consumer demand and not artificially because a company wants to save a few cents on a part.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You're right, it doesn't.

But it does have a silo for its stylus that takes up a pretty significant portion of the interior which would make it difficult to fit a large battery and a headphone jack together. Though it is also quite a bit larger.

I'm not sure if the screen being pressure-sensitive also adds to that.

Yes, but that's in a different area than the sensor for the headphone jack would be. It also takes up space differently. It's simply not the same thing, and shouldn't be compared.

18 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Nothing odd about wanting use a favorite headset without a DAP

But rather odd being asked to compensate for a product's deficiency

Phones generally have worse quality sound, if you're using headphones that cost as much as a phone, one would assume you'd want the quality to be of a similar level. Otherwise just use cheap headphones for the same experience. 9_9

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yes, but that's in a different area than the sensor for the headphone jack would be. It also takes up space differently. It's simply not the same thing, and shouldn't be compared.

Curious question then.

The Vivo V11 and Oppo R17 have similar generation fingerprint sensors and are quite a bit thinner than the R17 Pro that the OP6T is based on. A much more apple’s to apples to comparison.

But they have headphone jacks. Why?

Size difference isn’t very significant as well. The Pro is actually a tiny bit larger....by 0.1mm. Probably due to a different internal arrangement?

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Curious question then.

The Vivo V11 and Oppo R17 have similar generation fingerprint sensors and are quite a bit thinner than the R17 Pro that the OP6T is based on. A much more apple’s to apples to comparison.

But they have headphone jacks. Why?

Size difference isn’t very significant as well. The Pro is actually a tiny bit larger....by 0.1mm. Probably due to a different internal arrangement?

Probably just a better sensor. IIRC the first batch really weren't that good, and even the ones in there now, while working, aren't the best either.

I really hope the ones Samsung will be using won't take up too much space, or they put more effort into fitting everything into the device.

I'd almost guarantee that their folding phone doesn't have a headphone jack, though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Probably just a better sensor. IIRC the first batch really weren't that good, and even the ones in there now, while working, aren't the best either.

I really hope the ones Samsung will be using won't take up too much space, or they put more effort into fitting everything into the device.

We'll probably have to wait and see. Maybe the next generation sensors will take up less space? 

22 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

We'll probably have to wait and see. Maybe the next generation sensors will take up less space? 

Samsung's going with the Qualcomm ultrasonic sensors, so hopefully they're quite small; they're vastly superior.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Samsung's going with the Qualcomm ultrasonic sensors, so hopefully they're quite small; they're vastly superior.

Those don't need a visual cue if I remember 

10 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

laughs in Samsung... even though he's still using a Pixel right now

Removing the headphone jack doesn't mean shit for waterproofing! If Samsung and LG can waterproof their phones while still having a headphone jack then what's stopping everyone else? Just put a gasket around the headphone jack lmao 

Fun fact, if someone hears the same thing over and over they will start believing it.

Case in point: People now believe that removing the headphone jack allows for better water resistance of phones.

It doesn't, but since that's the excuse companies has been pushing that's what gets repeated over and over.

I mean, if people stopped for a minute and thought of all the other phones inside their phone, they would realize that the 3.5mm headphone jack is not a big hindrance.

The USB port, the speakers (in 2 or 3 locations), the buttons, the microphones (usually 2-3 separate ones), as well as all the places where gaps can exist (antenna bands, camera module, SIM tray, screen and back)... All of these needs to be carefully designed in specific ways with gaskets, fine meshes, and other insulation to keep the device water proof, and yet people believe that the 3.5mm headphone jack is a hindrance...

It's just 100% pure bullshit that manufacturers push to trick people into believing there is more legitimacy to the removal of the headphone jack. There are a few reasons for removing the headphone jack, but "enabling other technologies" is not on the list.

For crying out loud, the Galaxy S5 was water resistant too, and that phone had a removable battery (the entire back came off).