Thermal Grizzly somehow worse

NukoTi

A friend recommend Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and it somehow performed worse than Thermalright TF7, I used to get 46-50 in idle now Im at 50-60, I am using a dual tower cooler with one fan in the middle but even with 2 fans the Kryonaut performed worse, Is there something Im missing? I applied it the same way and everything

Posted (edited)

If you're using Intel 1700 then you should consider a contact frame.

Otherwise you probably did something wrong. I'd try again. And check the paste pattern.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

4 hours ago, leclod said:

Otherwise you probably did something wrong. I'd try again. And check the paste pattern.

I have a Ryzen 7 5700x, ive had this issue where it just wont idle in mid 40s for some reason, Ive swapped cases and fan configs and its all the same

5 hours ago, NukoTi said:

I have a Ryzen 7 5700x, ive had this issue where it just wont idle in mid 40s for some reason, Ive swapped cases and fan configs and its all the same

I meant repaste again if you're sure about temp difference. Me I can't tell, I don't know about AMD.

If you do, check the residual paste pattern (make pictures). It might show if there was something wrong before.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

TF7 is by no means a bad paste and in fact similar formula to what Kryonaut uses, so yeah...

Idle is a bad way to test cooling. Windows turns some background processes on and off and some cores all of sudden can be at 50% or so.

You should use a CPU benchmark or Prime95 to load up the CPU and test. Also use hardware monitor to log so you get the peak temps over some minutes.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

On 5/24/2024 at 1:58 AM, leclod said:

Bend correction frame (BCF) for 12th-14th gen i7 and i9 if they are frying, which not only prevents but can reverse warping of the CPU is what leclod means. 

OP have you got an offset mount on your CPU? Newer AMD need it because of the offset chips. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂