RTX Reviews

Deus Voltage

These cards offer pretty decent performance, but the pricing, In my opinion, is a bad evolution:

Previously:

At the same performance level, they got cheaper between generations. A GTX 1070 was as fast as a 980Ti, but a LOT cheaper ($ 379 vs. $ 599). 

OR

The cards between generations at the same price point, got faster. a GTX 1080 was much faster than a GTX 980, for the same launch price $ 549.

Now:

The cards at the same performance level got more expensive between generations (which should NEVER happen): GTX 1080Ti vs 2080 equally fast, but 33% more expensive, $ 599 against $799).

OR

The cards are a good bit faster, but a LOT more expensive (GTX 1080TI vs 2080Ti + 70% for 3rd party cards or + 100% for FE).

Long story short.

• The 2080 is equal to 1080Ti performance for 33% more money
  • The 2080Ti is 30-40% more performance for 70-100% more money.

BAD VALUE

And besides, unless you want to play in 4K on 144Hz, you do not need the 2080Ti at all? A 1080Ti has been long enough for 4K 60Hz. I own a 1440P 60Hz monitor, so for me these cards are all overkill. Faster than a 1070 or 980Ti I do not need. Let us hope that the 2060 series card is faster than the 1070 for less money.

The only reason to get these new cards seems to be if you are really sold on Ray Tracing. Otherwise they offer bad value. So whether Ray Tracing is worth the price premium for you is a bit of a personal decision.

As most of us feared. The 2080, the only new card any gaming/PC enthusiast would be looking at, is nothign mroe than a more expensive 1080ti with new features that cannot yet be used.

The 2080ti is priced in as a Titan, those who have no issue spendign that much will ofc be the same popel who were ok with buying Titans in the past, which is geat for them, I mean no disrespect in saying that, really good for you if you can afford to buy Titans. But for the vast majority of PC and gaming enthusiasts, the 2080 is the card to look at, and unfortunatly its just not worth the markup above a 1080ti.

Alass, this likely means my plan of buying a couple used 1080ti's for cheap is going up in smoke. While i have learned never to underestimate the abundence of people willing to just throw money at new things, i doubt there will be enough people buying new 20 series cards to replace their 1080ti's for me to pick them up cheap :P

AMD .. you really need to bring somthing out to challenge Nvidia, this monopoly on high end GPU's nvidia has sucks.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, maartendc said:

The 2080 is equal to 1080Ti performance for 33% more money

$799 vs $699 is not an increase of 33%, it's ~14% and you still get some new technologies that will give you an advantage in the future. AIB 1080Ti start usually around $650 (except a slower Mini version by Zotac).

Despite that I do agree with you. The performance is indeed disappointing and the new technology won't do anything right now. We'll maybe see a few titles at the end of the year, wider adoption and patches for older games will still be scarce. Over time the 2080 will improve a bit via driver optimization and better usage of the new technologies. Since you hardly need anything beyond a 1060 6GB or a 1070 for 1080p gaming, the bigger GPUs are only interesting at higher resolutions and then the 2080 already starts to be marginally better right now. So people don't need to panic and run to the shops to buy one of the last 1080 Ti in stock. The 2080 will get a bit cheaper. We just don't get significantly improved performance.

Bottom line: if you already have anything better than a 1070 don't bother unless you really need the bragging rights. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I wasent hyped but I'm still disappointed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I haven't seen any reviews talk about it (haven't watched many either because tbh it's nothing unexpected) but, wtf is going on with only 8GB of vram?

Like, an rx 570/580 is available with 8 gigs and that thing is not even in the same league as a 2080.

HOW? Like, it has a lot of GPU power and that 8 gigs is not enough for the future, not with that amount of raw power.

It's stupidly expensive and will become earlier obsolete than it should be because it doesn't have enough VRAM.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

"leaving out RT and DLSS" and who's fucking fault is that?

Who put all their eggs on the new tech basket and rushed a release relying on the infamously and notoriously unreliable game devs?

Hint: They like the color green.

So, do you think developers include those features without any GPUs that support them?

GPUs have to be first.

You don't have to like it. Early adopter will pay for your future graphical improvements, so you can hate on it and get it in a few years anyways. You are welcome.

3 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

Haha...Thank!  One of few it appears.  

Yeah honestly, at this point in time, the only GPU that has significant gains over Pascal is the 2080 Ti

The 2080 doesn’t seem to be that much better than a 1080 Ti for more money. At worst, it’s actually weaker. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

If we get another "vega like" here, a 2080ti is a pretty badly priced upgrade. But an upgrade nonetheless.

If they deliver on the promises, we get a tremendous uplift in performance with DLSS and better-looking graphics with RT.

Right now it feels like the Vega launch, just with better performance (god and still lower watts than Vega lol).

So worst case: Expensive Upgrade.

Best case: Amazing sleeper like gem.

Since it is NVidia I actually do see a chance that this may turn into the gem they promise. But I am not gonna hold my breath for it to happen. Apart from the DLSS Part, it already is happening. :-)

3 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

I ordered a EVGA 2080ti FTW3.  She's thicc.

Appears there is some room for OC'ing it further. ~35% improvement should be doable, which, as you mentioned with widescreen 1440p, will really help.

6 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

If we get another "vega like" here, a 2080ti is a pretty badly priced upgrade. But an upgrade nonetheless.

If they deliver on the promises, we get a tremendous uplift in performance with DLSS and better-looking graphics with RT.

Right now it feels like the Vega launch, just with better performance (god and still lower watts than Vega lol).

So worst case: Expensive Upgrade.

Best case: Amazing sleeper like gem.

Since it is NVidia I actually do see a chance that this may turn into the gem they promise. But I am not gonna hold my breath for it to happen. Apart from the DLSS Part, it already is happening. :-)

Well, when the Vega FE launched, the drivers were pretty bad. When RX Vega launched, the drivers were what they were & it was just the cards. Though RX Vega wasn't over priced; you could just never get it *at* that price. The 2080 Ti is a Titan with a gaming badge. It's ~35% faster than a 650USD card for 1200USD, though in an irony that shouldn't be lost, the 2080 Ti uses about as much power as the RX Vega 64. (Some have it slightly higher, so it depends on the game.)  Obviously, the 2080 Ti is massively more powerful, but, still, it's a hot & hungry card that's a bad value proposition at the price.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Obviously, the 2080 Ti is massively more powerful, but, still, it's a hot & hungry card that's a bad value proposition at the price.

Not sure if you have it up, but GN is currently livestreaming their OC attempt for the 2080Ti.  Should be interesting to watch...

15 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, when the Vega FE launched, the drivers were pretty bad. When RX Vega launched, the drivers were what they were & it was just the cards. Though RX Vega wasn't over priced; you could just never get it *at* that price. The 2080 Ti is a Titan with a gaming badge. It's ~35% faster than a 650USD card for 1200USD, though in an irony that shouldn't be lost, the 2080 Ti uses about as much power as the RX Vega 64. (Some have it slightly higher, so it depends on the game.)  Obviously, the 2080 Ti is massively more powerful, but, still, it's a hot & hungry card that's a bad value proposition at the price.

What if these drivers and dlss are held back to make 1080ti and Pascal stock look good to offload the remains at near full price

Speculation only

And on to rt whining

You kinda need cards before things can release things using it?

And having best of best have price premium just like titans when released

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I was aiming at the infamous Vega Patch that will fix everything and make it great again.

It is the same for Nvidia, just not as a driver, but down to developer implementations. 

If we get them, it seriously changes the value. Right now it is the best performer for a premium price (expecting a flagship to be the same P/L than a midrange card is kinda silly tho. but people seem to expect it anyway). But with that added stuff, especially DLSS, the performance will skyrocket. The few DLSS benchmarks around are very promising.

If Cyberpunk 2077 releases with RTX and/or DLSS support baked in and 7nm cards are still a long way off, then I'll make it rain for a non-FE 2080TI. Preferably EVGA or ASUS. 

If not then I'm waiting until 7nm Turing refresh or new uArch. Spending enough money as it is on a new build soon.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

14 minutes ago, Phentos said:

If Cyberpunk 2077 releases with RTX and/or DLSS support baked in and 7nm cards are still a long way off, then I'll make it rain for a non-FE 2080TI. Preferably EVGA or ASUS. 

If not then I'm waiting until 7nm Turing refresh or new uArch. Spending enough money as it is on a new build soon.

Haev you seen this screencap?...

cyberpunk2077_rtx.png

The Devs were bombarded with questions via twitter when people saw it and they would not confirm or deny.

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1031654015266942976

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1032153115217289216

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, TahoeDust said:

Haev you seen this screencap?...

cyberpunk2077_rtx.png

The Devs were bombarded with questions via twitter when people saw it and they would not confirm or deny.

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1031654015266942976

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1032153115217289216

I've seen that screenshot a few times but until it's explicitly confirmed by CDPR it's fake to me.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

AFAIK Marcin Momot said it's a fake.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/1034381751668420608

Translation: "Someone forgot to change the logo to a new one. It's not a screen from our game".

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

So, do you think developers include those features without any GPUs that support them?

GPUs have to be first.

When your whole life flashes before your eyes, how much of it do you want to not have ray tracing?

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, pas008 said:

And on to rt whining

You kinda need cards before things can release things using it?

I don't think that's the problem. 

It's moreso how the card was released to reviewers but its core headline feature wouldn't be ready until October, meaning that most reviews would be incomplete 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I don't think that's the problem. 

It's moreso how the card was released to reviewers but its core headline feature wouldn't be ready until October, meaning that most reviews would be incomplete 

i agree but nvidia shouldnt sit on a product because of api and game devs cant get with it

7nm is around the corner

would you want to sit on product with amd 7nm around the corner and you want to move to 7nm yourself?

26 minutes ago, pas008 said:

would you want to sit on product with amd 7nm around the corner and you want to move to 7nm yourself?

I don't think AMD would be coming out with new 7nm GPUs that soon. 

Rumor has it that Navi is more of an RX 580 successor, meaning that it's going to be a mainstream level GPU and not necessarily targeting the high end. That's still quite some time away. 

Does anyone has an idea on how much the performance of the 1080(ti) improved the first couple of months after release due to driver updates etc?

I was thinking of getting the 2080, but I'll probably wait a 1-2 months to see where it goes. (upgrading from a 970)

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

and so i stick with my 1080 Ti ^_^ good thing i never pre-order hardware