Motorola Under Fire For Copying iPhone X

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Can you tell the difference apart from the Logo?

I can barely tell the difference with the logo.

Kappa.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

wow did they ever xD that's about as close as you can get without stealing the logo as well xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

how did no-one at motorola look at this and go "you know what? it's a bit too close the the Iphone, let's change it" it had to go through several stages of approvals before it got to this point, are they all idiots?

wish companies would stop copying Apple's design. come up with something new and interesting to grab peoples attention, be unique, not a clone.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Maybe the eu should step in and say phones should be created similar because of phone cases need to be made similar for all phones lol

But anyways who cares its a fucking phone they should all end up with similar designs at a point anyways

Wait i should a patented square steering wheel

29 minutes ago, NMS said:

Why is no one mentioning the fact that Apple ripped off Essential when it comes to the notch? Shouldn't they be sued then as well?

To be fair though, Essential's take is wildly different. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is a plagiarism line that any self respecting designer should not cross when designing a product. Motorola said, screw that line, what are lines? Well whatever these alleged "lines" are, we crossed them!

xD

I hope they get their a*ses sued out from under em'! 

You can't copyright a box, PC Case manufacturers learned this a while ago.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Doesn’t take a fan boy to mistake the p30 as an iPhone X. I can see people getting confused on the streets

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

19 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

To be fair though, Essential's take is wildly different. 

That's true. But the concept is the same.

And I'm not trying to defend Motorola, as they're clearly in the wrong here, but I'm just trying to point out that Apple does this as well to a certain extent.

5 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I disagree.  Before the iphone people were very skeptical about ditching the keyboard in some physical form.  After the iphone (and proof people would ditch keyboards if it was done right) the top selling phones are all black rectangles.

It might have been evolutionary in the long term development of phones, but you only have to look at Blackberry to see the immediate fall out from this shift.

Why do I have to look at blackberry, why can't I look at the whole market?  I had a pocket pc long before the iphone came out.  mates of mine had ipaq's.  The only thing iphone did was make smart phones popular to the general public. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

The only thing iphone did was make smart phones popular to the general public. 

I think the iPhone also popularized the current smartphone form factor 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I think the iPhone also popularized the current smartphone form factor 

They did, but not in the way most people think.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad they turned the smart phone into a fashion statement, when all the soccer mums started buying smart phones the market suddenly had an influx of demand and the prices and competition meant that I no longer had to pay $400 for what I can get now for $99.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

They did, but not in the way most people think.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad they turned the smart phone into a fashion statement, when all the soccer mums started buying smart phones the market suddenly had an influx of demand and the prices and competition meant that I no longer had to pay $400 for what I can get now for $99.

Yep. I once tried to live with a cheap phone and I managed to handle it quite well 

Considering that the screen is probably a lower binned iphone X screen and that the screen is what dominates the design its not to much of a copy of the iphone X as it is a copy of the P20 pro.

Though i still think the design is cutting it a bit close

Notch ughh. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I understand the backlash, but I don't know why it's taken this long. Android manufacturers have ripped off Apple designs for years now, this being one of the more blatant rip offs.

14 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There is a plagiarism line that any self respecting designer should not cross when designing a product. Motorola said, screw that line, what are lines? Well whatever these alleged "lines" are, we crossed them!

xD

While I am not usually a fan of suing because of rounded corners,...

... sue them. Sue them for all their money and then some.

They don't just copy one of the ugliest phones yet (only second to the rumored pixel 3 XL), they copied it down to the wallpaper.

No matter how little I like apple, but this is a straight out copy/pasta job and they should be sued.

I have a feeling this is based off the Lenovo Z5, at least partially 

10 hours ago, Swatson said:

Apple didnt start the notch Essential did, but even so people dont understand how phones are made.

Companies buy parts from suppliers and the suppliers have various offerings. The latest offerings from Samsung Display/AU Optronics (Joint makers of AMOLED) and LG (P-OLED) have a notch to accommodate the camera while maximizing screen real estate. That's why most of the flagships have notches. Of course it can be done on LCDs too but I'm just pointing out that like 3 companies make all the phone screens

Ofc Apple doesn't make the display, that's obvious. But we all know no one would be using these notched displays if Apple didn't do it. I 100% garuntee you that.

Let's not deny that all these phone companies copy Apple. I miss it when Android phones were ugly but offered nice features like removable batteries, sd card slots, headphone jacks, removable backs and stuff like that (my galaxy s5 is a good example), but slowly we see that all disappearing because Apple isn't doing any of it. Don't you find it a weeeeeeee bit coincidental that the headphone jack is disappearing after Apple gets rid of it? I bet if the next iPhone magically had all the features I listed, we'd suddenly see those features make a big return.

(From my phone so excuse the bad typing.)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

19 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Motorola phone 'brazen copy' of iPhone X

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45208546

5b75e66dc0f3b_ScreenShot2018-08-17at9_02_20AM.png.40290b32a346eff169702e00c27ec3fe.png

Can you tell the difference apart from the Logo?

In my view, it's a pretty clear knock-off. Whats also interesting is the new Huawei Nova 3i, which looks pretty similar to the iPhone X.  as well. 

Just looking at the wallpapers its a pretty clear knock-off. I don't know know why Apple hasn't caused a but kerfuffle over these phones. 

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

xD

The photo is fucking stupid for mentioning the notch, but yea this is a clone. IDK if they should be sued, but they would lose thats for sure. This isn't "round corners"
Image result for apple v samsung
This is pretty blatant compared to the one here apple won. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

HUUUUUUHHHHH? I bet they just took a little inspiration. Just a little. This might be one of those things where you are inspired but during the process of creation you end up just making the same thing. I don't like apple but I think they should take action and warn other android phone manufacturers not to copy their designs. I'm tired of seeing everything they do translate into the next year's phone trend. I think some companies like Samsung finally realized that the popular kid, apple, was not that cool anymore and they finally took their own path.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Ofc Apple doesn't make the display, that's obvious. But we all know no one would be using these notched displays if Apple didn't do it. I 100% garuntee you that.

Let's not deny that all these phone companies copy Apple. I miss it when Android phones were ugly but offered nice features like removable batteries, sd card slots, headphone jacks, removable backs and stuff like that (my galaxy s5 is a good example), but slowly we see that all disappearing because Apple isn't doing any of it. Don't you find it a weeeeeeee bit coincidental that the headphone jack is disappearing after Apple gets rid of it? I bet if the next iPhone magically had all the features I listed, we'd suddenly see those features make a big return.

(From my phone so excuse the bad typing.)

You replied to my comment where I literally pointed out that Apple didn't start it. And yes they would have because the display makers were going to offer them anyways Apple just paid a premium to get it out early

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

This wouldnt be a problem if people stopped copying Apples shitty design. 

It’s so frustrating how every budget Chinese phone is a ripoff of either Apple or Samsung. It’s a dead giveaway that you bought the cheaper inferior product. This Motorola tells the same story. And I like Motorola. They have some of the best near stock Android experience with smart gesture controls for the camera and light. Personally, I think the Moto G6 is a great looking phone, if only it didn’t come in garbage bag black. It would look killer in red tho.

This is not even funny.

Motorola jumped on the notch and iPhone copycat hype train, and not only that, they took it a step further.

They literally ripped off the Huawei P20 Pro "Twilight" color and it doesn't come with stock Android, yet with Lenovo's shitty ZUI software. Hot garbage with nonexistent updates.

They did this to gain market share in China, but they just shot themselves in the foot.

I'll never buy an Android phone with a notch. Period. If this means sticking to my Honor 7 Lite, sure, I'll do it. Just let the fucking notch go.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Saw this ad today, check out the font for advertisement, especially the capacity. Very similar to how Apple used to put their specs on the back of iPods and iPhones etc.IMG_0341.jpg.b2c4b828c3304e19acbaedcf281e0ae3.jpg