Intel Roadmap Leaks: 9th Gen Sept, New, 28 core A-Series

From two sources, this time:

WCCFTech: Exclusive: Intel’s Desktop Roadmap 2018 to 2019

VideoCardz.net: Intel Core i9-9900K launches in Q3 2018 after all

The first thing you will notice is that Intel has divided its consumer processors into four distinct categories: A, X, S and N. The highest end segment is now the ‘A-Series’ processors’ category, followed by ‘X-Series’ processors, ‘S-Series’ processors and ‘N-Series’ processors. X, S, and N is something we are already intimately familiar with so the major takeaway here is that the company is rolling out its 28-core part in a brand new market segment. This also naturally means that we are looking at a different chipset and socket.

Intel-Consumer-Roadmap-2018-2019-Leak.thumb.png.6b5c18a515a6e0ba7fa448314e81f6df.png

Pretty straight forward.

Coffee Lake-S Refresh is in September. "Refresh" of X299 is in Oct/Nov, followed by the new A series Processors.

My Thoughts:

I really am amazed that Intel is bringing out the Xeon Platinum SKUs to the "High-end Desktop". But, what I'm excited for is the first person to delid what is clearly going to be a >4000USD A-series CPU. The Compensator clearly has a new CPU to work with later in the year.

The first sentence in the roadmap literally says that intel is going to start manufacturing those 8c/16t CPUs at the end of Q3... Not that they are going to release them. 

2 minutes ago, Lawliet93 said:

The first sentence in the roadmap literally says that intel is going to start manufacturing those 8c/16t CPUs at the end of Q3... Not that they are going to release them. 

Never said it wasn't going to be a soft, paper launch. But we're going to get launch announcements.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Never said it wasn't going to be a soft, paper launch. But we're going to get launch announcements.

Nah, the next slide actually talks about nda and stuff and the one for the  coffee lake family lifts on October, so Q4 release with limited availability 

https://www.cnews.cz/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/intel-roadmapa-procesory-cervenec-2018-hkepc-01.png

10 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

can't wait to see the 28c vs 32c benchmarks come out.

It'll be interesting. Both are going to be somewhat Memory bandwidth constrained, plus those Skylake-X cores on 14nm+ are going to be toasty. A lot more OC headroom on the A series, though, so if you toss a Chiller at it....

lol intel is in such a mess rn. it's almost funny. 

I want to see the little guy become sizable again tho. would be satisfying. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Thank you Intel, very cool.

These 28c CPUs likely won't hit good clock speeds. In the high core count, AMD will actually have a clock speed advantage. So more cores, higher clock speeds and most likely cheaper, GG AMD, too bad people will still buy Intel because mindshare.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

can't wait to see the 28c vs 32c benchmarks come out.

I agree it will be interesting to see, but i don't see how Intel intends to compete.

Intel Xeon 8176 - https://ark.intel.com/products/120508/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8176-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_10-GHz

Clocked at 2.1 GHZ across all cores at 165W for 8720USD MSRP

Intel Xeon 8180 - https://ark.intel.com/products/120496/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_50-GHz

2.5GHZ across all cores at 205W for 10 000USD MSRP

Now lets be clear, 2.1GHZ and 2.5GHZ for the 8176 and the 8180 is what Intel guarantees. However, going from 2.1GHZ to 2.5GHZ, a 19% increase in clock speed, the TDP increases by 24%. How does Intel intend to approach 3GHZ? 3.5GHZ? Remember, we are not pitting a 32 core CPU against a 28 core CPU to test single thread performance. There is no magic turbo going on, where you clock down all but 1-4 cores. To increase all core performance, all the cores has to boost.

Further more, because this is a monolithic die, there is no way to bin such a huge chip for sales. The 8086K hit market about 8 months after the 8700K, clocked only 300mhz over the 8700k. The binned version will not be the higher clocked one, the 28 core is the binned version. If Intel could offer their customers a 3GHZ 28 core for even more money than the 10 000USD 2.5GHZ chip, they would. The Intel marketing department can get their hands on a 5GHZ chip cooled with a 750W phase cooler, you can't, not even their most valued server partners can.

I'm not even gonna talk about the price. But even at 1/5 the current MSRP, it's very expensive.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

3 minutes ago, MMKing said:

I agree it will be interesting to see, but i don't see how Intel intends to compete.

Intel Xeon 8176 - https://ark.intel.com/products/120508/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8176-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_10-GHz

Clocked at 2.1 GHZ across all cores at 165W for 8720USD MSRP

Intel Xeon 8180 - https://ark.intel.com/products/120496/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_50-GHz

2.5GHZ across all cores at 205W for 10 000USD MSRP

Now lets be clear, 2.1GHZ and 2.5GHZ for the 8176 and the 8180 is what Intel guarantees. However, going from 2.1GHZ to 2.5GHZ, a 19% increase in clock speed, the TDP increases by 24%. How does Intel intend to approach 3GHZ? 3.5GHZ? Remember, we are not pitting a 32 core CPU against a 28 core CPU to test single thread performance. There is no magic turbo going on, where you clock down all but 1-4 cores. To increase all core performance, all the cores has to boost.

Further more, because this is a monolithic die, there is no way to bin such a huge chip for sales. The 8086K hit market about 8 months after the 8700K, clocked only 300mhz over the 8700k. The Intel marketing department can get their hands on a 5GHZ chip cooled with a 750W phase cooler, you can't.

I'm not even gonna talk about the price. But even at 1/5 the current MSRP, it's very expensive.

It was a 1000w+ phase cooler. Even though TR will have more cores I think it will be able to clock higher (all core)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

It was a 1000w+ phase cooler. Even though TR will have more cores I think it will be able to clock higher (all core)

Is it? I could have sworn it was rated at 1 horsepower, which is 745W to be exact.

I did some research, none of Hailea's water chillers are rated at 1KW. They sell a 1HP chiller which is 745W, then the next one in the product line is a 2HP chiller which is 1490W.

12 minutes ago, MMKing said:

Is it? I could have sworn it was rated at 1 horsepower, which is 745W to be exact.

I did some research, none of Hailea's water chillers are rated at 1KW. They sell a 1HP chiller which is 745W, then the next one in the product line is a 2HP chiller which is 1490W.

on PPC the 1/2 HP is stated to have a 790w cooling capacity http://www.performance-pcs.com/hot-hailea-hc-500a-110v-1-2hp-790watt-cooling-capacity-waterchiller.html

That is what I was going by, idk how that measured.

The 1HP is how much power is consumes not how much it can cool, as far as i can tell.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

@The Benjamins

Here it is. 1 Horsepower = 745W

Spoiler

2018-06-06%2008.55.00_575px.jpg

http://www.hailea.com/e-hailea/product1/HC-1000B.htm

To be honest, i thought all of this was a marketing ploy these last couple months since Intel revealed the damn thing. Releasing a consumer version Q4 2018 puts it out to the consumer market 12-15 months after the server market. In that time, the cost would have to hit 20% of what it was, and clock speeds would have to increase by 30-40%.

For the record, this is the Intel OEM cooler for the LGA3647 Xeon product line, it's rated at 280W.

Intel TS300C

Bilderesultat for Intel TS300C

1 hour ago, MMKing said:

For the record, this is the Intel OEM cooler for the LGA3647 Xeon product line, it's rated at 280W.

Intel TS300C

Bilderesultat for Intel TS300C

That Xeon Cooler looks cheap AF, how much does it cost?

5 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

Dam, we are about get into Intel 9th gen CPU. Meanwhite, I am still using 4th gen CPU. Good future proof I guess. 

There is just so little reason to even move from 4th gen, the I7 4790K is really not that far off the newer I7s and really closes in when we get to 5GHz. 

Core for core at the same clocks, 4ty gen is only a little bit behind, and then it clocks just as high as Skylake, Kabylake and Coffeelake. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 hours ago, 2Buck said:

These 28c CPUs likely won't hit good clock speeds. In the high core count, AMD will actually have a clock speed advantage. So more cores, higher clock speeds and most likely cheaper, GG AMD, too bad people will still buy Intel because mindshare.

Maybe we should wait for the processors to get released before making our minds up about which one is the best and saying Intel only sells processors because of ignorance?

I mean, it is easy to say AMD is the better choice if you make the assumption that:

AMD processors will have higher clock speed.

That AMD processors will be cheaper.

That the IPC will be the same.

But that's just assumptions which might be completely wrong.

I mean seriously, the processors haven't even been announced and you're already saying AMD is better. 

Well at least we can be quite sure those aren't going to run at 5Ghz (maybe 1 core, but not all of them) in the average enthousiast build. Watercooling won't be enough.

I think it will come down to how good/easy they can be cooled.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Core for core at the same clocks, 4ty gen is only a little bit behind

The 4th gen needs to be 300 MHz above the 7th gen to match  its  performance. And since 8th gen is just a refresh with negligible improvements i would bet its the same for that line-up too.

Intel are so shit, they must be shit becasue WCCFTECH published a picture of a roadmap that said Intel 28 cores something something something.  That's all the proof I need to know they are shit and it's going to be shit with shit clocks because shit processors are pushed out fast in a knee jerk to match AMD ( may god bless their omnipotence :x).    Did I mention Intel were shit? 

Did I forget anything? 

/s

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.