Intel Roadmap Leaks: 9th Gen Sept, New, 28 core A-Series

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe we should wait for the processors to get released before making our minds up about which one is the best and saying Intel only sells processors because of ignorance?

I mean, it is easy to say AMD is the better choice if you make the assumption that:

AMD processors will have higher clock speed.

That AMD processors will be cheaper.

That the IPC will be the same.

But that's just assumptions which might be completely wrong.

I mean seriously, the processors haven't even been announced and you're already saying AMD is better. 

this is especially true this time because we dont know the effects of the leach mode on TR

24 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

this is especially true this time because we dont know the effects of the leach mode on TR

Sadly it is the only way to get 32 core on TR4.

They might be doing it also to segment their server from consumer.

Though i think its mostly the former

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Sadly it is the only way to get 32 core on TR4.

They might be doing it also to segment their server from consumer.

Though i think its mostly the former

at least until next year then we might get 24 or 32 cores in just 2 dies

35 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Intel are so shit, they must be shit becasue WCCFTECH published a picture of a roadmap that said Intel 28 cores something something something.  That's all the proof I need to know they are shit and it's going to be shit with shit clocks because shit processors are pushed out fast in a knee jerk to match AMD ( may god bless their omnipotence :x).    Did I mention Intel were shit? 

Did I forget anything? 

/s

I shouldn't have laughed but you just caused me to wake my wife up, thank you. I'm gonna blame Intel.

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

at least until next year then we might get 24 or 32 cores in just 2 dies

True. Though they might continue the "leach" dies, just to offer very high core count CPUs. 

These high core counts also look amazing in benchmarks

True. Though they might continue the "leach" dies, just to offer very high core count CPUs. 

These high core counts also look amazing in benchmarks

that is something i am interested in seeing what their plan is, in a few weeks we will know the penalty of leach mode but even still cpus with just 2 dies would have a good market as it will have better memory performance 

22 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

that is something i am interested in seeing what their plan is, in a few weeks we will know the penalty of leach mode but even still cpus with just 2 dies would have a good market as it will have better memory performance 

The only question is if they will continue leach mode after TR4 is over

The only question is if they will continue leach mode after TR4 is over

after tr4 they might be able to while making the socket route the signals in such a way as to allow them to have each die have one channel that way memory performance will be much more balanced

24 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

allow them to have each die have one channel that way memory performance will be much more balanced

But only if software is aware of this and loads up the needed resources into all of the separate RAM. Not to mention that they need to minimize the crosstalk between dies.

38 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

But only if software is aware of this and loads up the needed resources into all of the separate RAM. Not to mention that they need to minimize the crosstalk between dies.

it will be no different than how it works now

11 hours ago, MMKing said:

How does Intel intend to approach 3GHZ? 3.5GHZ?

We had this Discussion recently in the Macbook i9 Thread!

They don't give a fuck about the "TDP" and just go over it and thermal throttle - just as they do with the Core i9 in the MACBOOK and specify the "TDP" at Base Clockspeed. Boost is outside of the TDP.

But you shoulod know that, the TDP "specification" of Intel make it pretty clear, so Intel is not at fault here ;-)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I mean, it is easy to say AMD is the better choice if you make the assumption that:

You forgot to mention the lower power consumption/higher Efficiency of the AMD Products right now.

But since AMD is better, its not important no more, is it? So better not mention it ;)

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

There is just so little reason to even move from 4th gen, the I7 4790K is really not that far off the newer I7s and really closes in when we get to 5GHz. 

Core for core at the same clocks, 4ty gen is only a little bit behind, and then it clocks just as high as Skylake, Kabylake and Coffeelake. 

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

The 4th gen needs to be 300 MHz above the 7th gen to match  its  performance. And since 8th gen is just a refresh with negligible improvements i would bet its the same for that line-up too.

4th gen Haswell is hot as phuc that this son of a peach need delid and a custom water cooling to achieve 4.8GHz. 

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

We had this Discussion recently in the Macbook i9 Thread!

They don't give a fuck about the "TDP" and just go over it and thermal throttle - just as they do with the Core i9 in the MACBOOK and specify the "TDP" at Base Clockspeed. Boost is outside of the TDP.

But you shoulod know that, the TDP "specification" of Intel make it pretty clear, so Intel is not at fault here ;-)

Yeah that discussion was pretty thorough in concluding that it wasn't Intel's fault. And the TDP is more of a suggestion to OEM's that they should design a cooling system that can handle more than just letting the chip throttle down to base clocks.

3 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

4th gen Haswell is hot as phuc that this son of a peach need delid and a custom water cooling to achieve 4.8GHz. 

All intel CPU needs a delid for a proper OC because intel uses the rock bottom quality there.... 9_9 As for water cooling its a small price to pay if it makes the CPU last a hell of a lot longer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ydsj74xmwppy4w/20150615_193056.jpg?dl=0

Edited by jagdtigger

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

All intel CPU needs a delid for a proper OC because intel uses the rock bottom quality there.... 9_9 As for water cooling its a small price to pay if it makes the CPU last a hell of a lot longer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ydsj74xmwppy4w/20150615_193056.jpg?dl=0

I have no experience in delid and I am not ready to spend on another CPU in case I destroy it. Watching tutorial videos seem to be easy, but once I am doing it is another story and experience. 

40 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You forgot to mention the lower power consumption/higher Efficiency of the AMD Products right now.

But since AMD is better, its not important no more, is it? So better not mention it ;)

At the expense of IPC and clockspeed, "better" is pretty subjective on a high end/gaming desktop unless the cost of electricity is stupidly high.

Yeah AMD must be better because people still take wccftech seriously when they post "leaked" slides of an unspecified 28 core CPU.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

At the expense of IPC and clockspeed, "better" is pretty subjective on a high end/gaming desktop unless the cost of electricity is stupidly high.

Yeah AMD must be better because people still take wccftech seriously when they post "leaked" slides of an unspecified 28 core CPU.

They sacrificed a little bit in terms of single core performance, but they gained a hell of a lot more in multi core. Its a good trade off seeing how intel hit a wall with their search for increasing further clock speeds...

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No, it is objective as you can see  where the CPU is measured independently of other stuff.

Because the AMD CPUs stay within their TDP Limit - with the usual margin of error - while the Intel Chips totally violate those.

The worst example is the i7-8700 wich can consume up to ~150W under certain conditions while the AMD CPUs stay closer to the spec.

And that is what you would expect.

So with that knowledge, I'd expect something around 300-400W under certain load conditions.

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

And even if they are better, its not enough, as you can see here because Intel is like Apple and sold via Image/brand recognition, not good products these days.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe we should wait for the processors to get released before making our minds up about which one is the best and saying Intel only sells processors because of ignorance?

But that's just assumptions which might be completely wrong.

I mean seriously, the processors haven't even been announced and you're already saying AMD is 

We already know Intel can't hit good clock speeds at 28 cores, it's a fact. They also charge a shit ton for those CPUs because they're expensive to make and have much lower yields. So it's completely safe to assume the 32c TR2 will be cheaper.

I'm coming to a safe conclusion based on knowledge that we've already had for ages. Intel is not magic, they can't over come these problems overnight, that is NOT how CPU design works. But who knows, maybe I'll be wrong and Intel will magically hit 4ghz on air. And who knows, maybe TR2's IPC with that many cores will be shit. I'm not saying I'm 100% right and that AMD is some perfect godlike company. This is all speculation, which I'm allowed to do.

Oh, and I never said Intel only sells because of ignorance, the AMD fanboys might think that, but there are legitimate reasons to buy Intel. So let's not put words in people's mouths. All I was saying is that even if AMD was better, they will always sell less, and that's another fact. Look at the Athlon 64.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

4 hours ago, DaPhuc said:

I got 4.7GHz on air without a delid on my I7 4790K, but yah for beyond that I have a waterloop and a scetchy delid

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

29 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I got 4.7GHz on air without a delid on my I7 4790K, but yah for beyond that I have a waterloop and a scetchy delid

at what temps though?

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Did I forget anything? 

/s

You forgot the "remember to pick up a new Ryzen because hurrdurr you can buy yet another Ryzen next year using the same motherboard" 9_9.

50 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

can't get past 4.4 on a 4770k with a custom loop due to temps. Top level mayo was used.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I will revive my chilled water testbench for 28 cores, and shoot for 5Ghz.

And jesus christ the AMD dick riding is out of control around here.  This is going to be the top dog CPU, it's going to smash AMD's 32 core in every workload.  Then we can start hearing the whining about power consumption or perf/$ or whatever the fuck other metric that real enthusiasts don't give a fuck about.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)