Graphics card prices expected to drop in July by 20%......any thoughts?

GOD MAN

Title says it all 

What are your thoughts ?

Source-

Quote-"The cryptocurrency mining chill has weakened demand for graphics cards, with suppliers planning to axe prices trying to clear their inventory. Sales of ASIC mining systems have also been significantly impacted by the stagnant demand, according to sources from the upstream supply chain",''The sources pointed out that graphics card prices are expected to see an average drop of around 20% in July,",Currently, the worldwide graphics card market has an inventory of around several million units and Nvidia has around a million of GPUs waiting to be released, said the sources"

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180629PD204.html

Also can be related to the 300k GPU nvdia is stuck with

Quote-"It seems that Nvidia is stuck with excess inventory of 10 series cards due to overestimating the bitcoin mining GPU demand and the demand from gamers. So much so that one top Asian OEM partner reportedly returned 300,000 GPUs to Nvidia"

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/nvidia-overestimated-bitcoin-mining-demand-stuck-with-excess-gpu-inventory-report-1870690

GIBE ME 4 FREE ALREADY

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Please read the guidelines

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

It'll be interesting to see just how big this is.  Generally speaking it's rare that everyone gets caught with their pants down so to speak.  I mean most tech forums were talking about a downturn in GPU demand due to the mining craze leveling off.  I would imagine at least some of the GPU manufacturers would have had provisions ion place for it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Say hello to my money Vega. 

Either that or i am lowballing an R9

Sort of about time if you ask me, though sort of expected with the continoues price drops that have been going on

Like i can get an Rx 580 for 200$ atm

Crypto value has been at a relative low recently, and combined with possible overstock, it could be a storm pushing used pricing down. New pricing shifts are generally more gradual though. I'd keep monitoring but don't count on it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I just remembered I have 0.25 Ethereum from Christmas. N O I C E.

hi.

2 hours ago, porina said:

Crypto value has been at a relative low recently, and combined with possible overstock, it could be a storm pushing used pricing down. New pricing shifts are generally more gradual though. I'd keep monitoring but don't count on it.

Over the several years where enough crypto currencies exist, for whatever reason, they crash in price through spring and into summer, then rebound in the fall.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the high education time cycle, as those most active in the space are generally college aged. I guess that also means GPU prices fall as a delayed aspect.

22 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Over the several years where enough crypto currencies exist, for whatever reason, they crash in price through spring and into summer, then rebound in the fall.

I haven't been looking that carefully, but there is another factor that has impacted distributed computing: the weather. Assuming a sizeable majority in northern hemisphere, many choose to go for a summer shutdown than deal with the heat. This is more likely to hit smaller players than those in it as a large business but it could add up.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Thanks god i sold 2 of my 3 GTX 1050 ti for good prices.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

4 hours ago, Aaxer said:

Please edit your post to match Tech News posting guidelines.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I haven't been looking that carefully, but there is another factor that has impacted distributed computing: the weather. Assuming a sizeable majority in northern hemisphere, many choose to go for a summer shutdown than deal with the heat. This is more likely to hit smaller players than those in it as a large business but it could add up.

I caught the chart last year showing the effect. The guy was correct about the nature of what the bust cycle would look like. However, there's clearly a cyclical aspect, which normally means it's got something to do with the Weather. Just not exactly sure what. 

The other little rub is that it doesn't take all that much to cause a crypto currency to rise. The massive run-up in BTC was almost all the result of about 80mil USD in buying. Considering Financial Products have a daily volume in the 10 Trillion USD range, across the globe, it might just be as simple as some group of investors just start putting money in during the Fall.

What i think is i dont fucking care about anything on the market of the current gen right now.

Next year im going to upgrade all my pc because is going to be the most mindblowing year ever for the following reasons:

1. Ryzen 3000 series 7nm(from TSMC very good) CPU's with Zen 2 arch will come to market possibly in more than 8 core(8-16 cores)  variants with better IPC/clocks and id be damned if i will buy ryzen on 12-14nm from globalfoundries shit process, im 100% sure Zen 2 arch + 7nm is going to blow away everything on the market and i dont want to miss those epic CPU's; also new mobo with better features (pcie4.0?).

2. Both Nvidia and AMD are going to release new GPU's on 7-12nm be it refresh or new arch with GDDR6(most important) and possibly PCIE 4.0, we do not know atm the performance gains from having GDDR6, the memory alone might make everything GDDR5 and older obsolete, just like G5 made G3/G4 look like a joke. Im sure as hell not going to buy anything old from the current market.

3. Finally very important aswell they might finish the investigation in China(i think) in 2019 on DRAM price fixing and give 8 bil $ worth of fines(rumour) which might force manufacturers to make the price right again, and DDR4 might see a significat drop in price meaning i can buy higher frequency RAM 3000-3400 for the same price you buy 2400 today.

If you are not thinking what im thinking than you might be impatient, i know its a long time to mid 2019 when most of the products will be in shops but if you already have a decent PC and arent impatient id say you should wait, i dont see a single reason in rumours or news that might make the market worse in 2019, basically everything is going for the better, crypto is going down so gpu's will come back to normal, ram might drop in price, and new amazing CPU's.

20% huh, still above MSRP while they should a least be as launch MSRP if not lower. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

What i think is i dont fucking care about anything on the market of the current gen right now.

Next year im going to upgrade all my pc because is going to be the most mindblowing year ever for the following reasons:

1. Ryzen 3000 series 7nm(from TSMC very good) CPU's with Zen 2 arch will come to market possibly in more than 8 core(8-16 cores)  variants with better IPC/clocks and id be damned if i will buy ryzen on 12-14nm from globalfoundries shit process, im 100% sure Zen 2 arch + 7nm is going to blow away everything on the market and i dont want to miss those epic CPU's; also new mobo with better features (pcie4.0?).

2. Both Nvidia and AMD are going to release new GPU's on 7-12nm be it refresh or new arch with GDDR6(most important) and possibly PCIE 4.0, we do not know atm the performance gains from having GDDR6, the memory alone might make everything GDDR5 and older obsolete, just like G5 made G3/G4 look like a joke. Im sure as hell not going to buy anything old from the current market.

3. Finally very important aswell they might finish the investigation in China(i think) in 2019 on DRAM price fixing and give 8 bil $ worth of fines(rumour) which might force manufacturers to make the price right again, and DDR4 might see a significat drop in price meaning i can buy higher frequency RAM 3000-3400 for the same price you buy 2400 today.

If you are not thinking what im thinking than you might be impatient, i know its a long time to mid 2019 when most of the products will be in shops but if you already have a decent PC and arent impatient id say you should wait, i dont see a single reason in rumours or news that might make the market worse in 2019, basically everything is going for the better, crypto is going down so gpu's will come back to normal, ram might drop in price, and new amazing CPU's.

You could have just said, "I like AMD" and "in the future, shit will be faster."  :D

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

20% huh, still above MSRP while they should a least be as launch MSRP if not lower. 

yaa they should be about 50% of the msrp tbh

Meh, i'll wait until intel comes out with their offering.

Really they should all be bellow MSRP by now...

Got to clear that inventory before launching the next generation.

"We totally don't have anything coming out soon so buy these two year old Pascal cards." - Nvidia

"Jensen, I need a new yacht." - shareholders

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the high education time cycle, as those most active in the space are generally college aged. I guess that also means GPU prices fall as a delayed aspect.

5 hours ago, porina said:

The problem with any sort of prophetic financial news is humans react to the news, thus ensuring it won't pan out like anyone said it would.

It's like the king whose adviser says there will be a famine, so the king increases grain production and then executes the adviser when the famine doesn't happen.

If this is true, I wont be TOO surprised since all of a sudden I'm seeing a bunch of sales for GPUs recently on almost a weekly to daily basis now. 10%,15% , 20% and so forth. I think there was one on Newegg yesterday. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Not gonna happen. Retailers have gotten so used to cranking up the prices, they won't be lowering the prices any time soon.

FFS, it's 2 years old tech, why the prices still at above MSRP, fuck that and fuck the retailers.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Now if only monitor prices would come down so I could replace my remaining two 1080p monitors.

Then, second 1080ti and triple monitor surround 4k gaming.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

any thoughts?

German Shepards are the ultimate breed of dog.

Oh, you meant about the topic. Looks like I'll be picking up a V56 or 64 soonish.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.