Report: Google Assistant is most efficient assistant, Siri is least

Soure:  https://www.androidauthority.com/efficient-virtual-assistant-2018-859875/

• A marketing company performed a thorough test of the four main virtual assistants.
  • The results paint a clear picture that the Google Assistant smartphone app is the most efficient virtual assistant.
  • Cortana is in second place, Amazon’s Alexa is in third, and Apple’s Siri came in last.

A new report from marketing agency Stone Temple Consulting confirms what we knew already: Google Assistant is the most efficient virtual assistant as compared to its top rivals. Apple’s Siri came out last for efficiency in the same set of tests.

Base on this report, Google assistant is the best virtual assistant right now, you might say not surprising. Yep but details are more interesting with this

2018-summary-results.jpg

If you take a look at the chart above, You'll see that there is small difference between google assistant on smartphones and google assistant on Google home, but what's more interesting is how bad siri actually is. Only 40% answers attempted ???? which is far below others like google and cortana or even alexa. 

In terms of fully and correctly answered questions, siri is doing better but it's still dead last which is not good news for those who bought Apple's $350 "Smart" speaker.

And for Apple fans out there wanting to say that the sample size was not big enough:

To perform the experiment, testers delivered a total of 24,710 queries, which is an incredibly large sample size.

They also have a chart which shows how many questions they got wrong and compares them with their last year score:

number-of-incorrect-responses-1.jpg

Again, siri is not doing great and it got worse compared to last year, even more interesting, Alexa got a lot worst. Personally i think it's because of it trying to answer more compared to last year.

Also cortana is doing great with the lowest percent of wrong answers.

From the results, we can draw these conclusions:

• The Google Assistant smartphone app answers more questions and gets more answers right than any other virtual assistant in its class.
  • Microsoft’s Cortana is comfortably in second place with both sets of results not too far off from Google’s.
  • Amazon Alexa does a pretty good job of answering questions correctly but is lacking when it comes to attempting answers.
  • Apple’s Siri is way behind when it comes to attempting answers, but doing OK when it comes to answering questions correctly.

You can read the full report from Stone Temple Consulting at its website.

Edit: I'm also interested to see Bixby next time and see how it does compared to others. Also i like to note that from my experience, Cortana on windows 10 has some problems with voice recognition and she hear things more wrong than others. I think MS need to work more on their voice to text conversion as well.

This won't come as news to Bitwit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

There is a reason for Siri being the butt of so many jokes across the internet and entertainment.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Turns out, that just buying a Voice Assistant and claiming it to be "Apples best" is not going too well for them.

After buying Siri, they did not improve it at all.

Hell, in germany Apple approached the biggest University and asked for help to make it even remotely work in german.

Seems like apple does not actually have any coder capable of working on a voice assistant.

This report show this in a nice and well done manner tho. So thumbs up for showing the sheep how well they are doing. We need more of these for the other areas apple claims to be best and actually is worst.

43 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Soure:  https://www.androidauthority.com/efficient-virtual-assistant-2018-859875/

Base on this report, Google assistant is the best virtual assistant right now, you might say not surprising. Yep but details are more interesting with this

2018-summary-results.jpg

If you take a look at the chart above, You'll see that there is small difference between google assistant on smartphones and google assistant on Google home, but what's more interesting is how bad siri actually is. Only 40% answers attempted ???? which is far below others like google and cortana or even alexa. 

In terms of fully and correctly answered questions, siri is doing better but it's still dead last which is not good news for those who bought Apple's $350 "Smart" speaker.

And for Apple fans out there wanting to say that the sample size was not big enough:

They also have a chart which shows how many questions they got wrong and compares them with their last year score:

number-of-incorrect-responses-1.jpg

Again, siri is not doing great and it got worse compared to last year, even more interesting, Alexa got a lot worst. Personally i think it's because of it trying to answer more compared to last year.

Also cortana is doing great with the lowest percent of wrong answers.

Edit: I'm also interested to see Bixby next time and see how it does compared to others. Also i like to note that from my experience, Cortana on windows 10 has some problems with voice recognition and she hear things more wrong than others. I think MS need to work more on their voice to text conversion as well.

I call bs on cortana.

"it's not about who's best, it's about the ecosystem"

- Apple fanboys coming soon in this thread

EDIT: would love to see Mycroft on that chart, just to get an introspect of it's evolution YoY and see how does a open source, community powered idea evolves in time compared to the rest of the industry.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

"it's not about who's best, it's about the ecosystem"

- Apple fanboys coming soon in this thread

EDIT: would love to see Mycroft on that chart, just to get an introspect of it's evolution YoY and see how does a open source, community powered idea evolves in time compared to the rest of the industry.

lol

siri will give them better answers because they are in the "ecosystem" :D 

and yep i like to see other assistants in there as well since their sample size way bigger than a youtube video that compares them.

I tend to agree about the dubious Cortana results. Microsoft's search engine barely works and that's regardless of whether you talk search on Windows or search on Bing. Both suck and don't provide accurate results. 

If basic search doesn't work then how would advanced queries work? 

The study is fairly obvious, I'd say... Siri needs work, and Apple knows it (they've been on a huge hiring spree).

With that said, there are some places where Siri does better.  It's much, much nicer for home automation, for example: Siri and HomeKit can invoke very specific scenes with just a short code phrase.  You could say "evening" and it would turn your living room lights to 60 percent at a certain color, your kitchen to 50 percent at another color, your thermostat to 72F... you get the idea.

Google, meanwhile?  Let's put it this way: they've just started adding similar routines, and issuing a command to turn your lights white turns them... yellow.  It's as if no one at Google ever bought a Hue bulb kit and tried to use Assistant with it.

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

The study is fairly obvious, I'd say... Siri needs work, and Apple knows it (they've been on a huge hiring spree).

With that said, there are some places where Siri does better.  It's much, much nicer for home automation, for example: Siri and HomeKit can invoke very specific scenes with just a short code phrase.  You could say "evening" and it would turn your living room lights to 60 percent at a certain color, your kitchen to 50 percent at another color, your thermostat to 72F... you get the idea.

Google, meanwhile?  Let's put it this way: they've just started adding similar routines, and issuing a command to turn your lights white turns them... yellow.  It's as if no one at Google ever bought a Hue bulb kit and tried to use Assistant with it.

Are you sure?

As i know, google home and amazon alexa work really well with smart home systems and there are a lot more devices out there that support google assistant and amazon alexa.

And again as i saw on YouTube, you can do all you said about siri with Google assistant as well. I really don't get why you are saying that Siri is better with smart homes

The real shocking part of this is hearing cortana being second over Alexa.

Details separate people.

This wasn't very objective testing tbh. If you look on their website whether they judge an answer is wrong is pretty subjective. 

You can't really conclude much from this. 

Google assistant on smartphone is pretty good. Only complains is sometime it won't unlock my phone when i say "Okay Google"

If i'm gonna buy a personnal assistant one day it's gonna be a Google Home

Not gonna buy Alexa for political reasons (she's a SJW)

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

To be fair, siri is pretty useless

siri-app-store-it-doesnt-look-like-i-can-launch-27100574.png.7ecf024900ff1ce5d01b45aaa01f4d89.png

Siri on Mac is very different from Siri on Apple Watch, iOS, and HomePod. They are all different from each other and are designed to do different things. 

(I have a gif but the forum doesn't work for anything)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I still don't see the point of voice assistants but, then again I never used one.

They are not available in Hungary because I guess a Hungarian person can't speak any other language. 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

To be fair, siri is pretty useless

<Snep>

Here's one I encountered on my own mac:

<Sn1p>

To be fair most users just click on the App Store icon. Apple most likely gets feedback on most asked questions and goes from there to work into Siri. iPhones are targeted at a much more user friendly audience than Android it's not really necessary to incorporate some of these functions due to lack of popularity. 

7 hours ago, Red Hardware said:

Are you sure?

As i know, google home and amazon alexa work really well with smart home systems and there are a lot more devices out there that support google assistant and amazon alexa.

And again as i saw on YouTube, you can do all you said about siri with Google assistant as well. I really don't get why you are saying that Siri is better with smart homes

Yes, but mainly because I'm in the unusual position of having actively used all three for long periods.

Here's the thing: up until recently, Google Assistant was basically limited to "shortcuts" based on single phrases.  You could tell it to turn all your lights to 80 percent, for instance, but you couldn't easily tell it to perform complex actions (multiple lighting levels, throw in smart appliances at the same time, that sort of thing).  Routines add that functionality.

I can't use Google assistance. "Okay, Google" is a horrible activation phrase. I stumble saying it. They should be a single word, preferably a unique name.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I can't use Google assistance. "Okay, Google" is a horrible activation phrase. I stumble saying it. They should be a single word, preferably a unique name.

What else would it be that you dont stmble upom by accident that is also rememberable and linked to google?

"Siri" like you sound when you read it in my native language means dick :D Apple knew about this and they wrote that they know but won't change it. Good for them because after asking questions their assistant really is "siri" :D

Google has so much information that there is no doubt their assistant is the best in answering questions.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.