Windows 10 April Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
26 minutes ago, Johners said:

My desktop downloaded and installed the update very, very fast but two hours in and Windows Update is still running on my Surface Pro 4.

You sure you got the update on your desktop? I am asking because a few days ago, Microsoft released a Cumulative Update. So maybe you got that instead, which I recall being also fast to download and install.

If you do "winver" (without quotes) in the Start menu search box, and hit Enter, it should say version 1803.

Edited by GoodBytes
Translated from Engloush to English

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You sure you got the update on your desktop. If you do "winver" (without quotes) in the Start menu search box, and hit Enter, it should say version 1803. I am asking because a few days ago, Microsoft released a Cumulative Update

I'm downloading the update right now on my 1700X build :).

1803.PNG.c546243150fd6d90f9322cfb317bb344.PNG

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm downloading the update right now on my 1700X build :).

1803.PNG.c546243150fd6d90f9322cfb317bb344.PNG

Me too, let's see who finishes first that update!

37 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Me too, let's see who finishes first that update!

done :P.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

@GoodBytes I seem to be having issues with my Start Menu not being transparent despite the fact that it should be.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well I wanted to finish my episode, you beat me :P it's in process on my end

41 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Done as Well but it created a useless partition in the process..

I installed it, zero problems so far. Not like I've ever had issues with them anyways.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I started updating 5 minutes ago and now there's a big storm. T_T

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

On 4/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, GoodBytes said:

Quick Bluetooth Pairing

Windows 10 will now show a notification when it detects a Bluetooth device that is trying to be paired to, and from a quick press to the 'Connect' button on the notification, it will connect to it as expected. No need to go through the Settings panels, navigate to Devices, pick add Bluetooth, pick the type of Bluetooth devices it is, and wait for Windows to search for it. This should make connecting to your Bluetooth device for the first time much simpler.

yay! Anything to make life a bit easier in that regard.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Installed after 3 update fails to install and 1 hour updating(thank god samsung 850 evo).

And 2 more hours reconfiguring my settings, reinstalling drivers, creating restore points(which the update deleted and disabled weird) and cleaning the 30gb+ of shit it left behind. Seems like this shit never gets any better, linux is so smooth when it comes to updates you dont even feel them.

So far all games and programs work fine, no processes hanging or bsod's, got to wait a week or two for those who want to be sure.

I rescind my earlier statement about no issues, I seem to be having multiple programs with memory leaks now.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Just now, 2FA said:

I rescind my earlier statement about no issues, I seem to be having multiple programs with memory leaks now.

Do you have that core isolation turned on? 

image.png.8527969ce16eeb6de723d8acc73a7467.png

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

Do you have that core isolation turned on? 

image.png.8527969ce16eeb6de723d8acc73a7467.png

Nope

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Am I the only one who hasn't had problems with Windows Update? I'm hardly a power user though 

(On W10 Pro)

No, but I sometimes feel the same.  Between setting active hours and scheduling updates, I've never had any issues and I put minimal effort into controlling them.  Certainly less than people who still manage to have lots of issues.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

it's here and it's got some new tricks no one asked for!

Even better, there is so much, it's like the Samsung bloatware experience but for windows! Exactly what i needed in my life!

(if you haven't got it yet, wait 2-3 days, it should come to your system soon)

here is a small taste of what features have been added (note: this isn't all of them, check the source (linked below) for the full list)

Start menu improvements:

Spoiler

Start menu

In this new update, the Start menu includes Reveal highlight, which is an interactive visualization that brings illumination to display hidden borders, helps you navigate, and interact with an app. You’ll see this feature while hovering items in the “All apps” list and Live Tiles.

Additionally, right-clicking a Microsoft Store app, and selecting More, you’ll now see a Settings option that will take you straight to settings page for that particular app.

Start menu with Reveal highlight

Action Center Improvements:

Spoiler

Action Center

When using the dark theme option the “Clear all,” “Expand”/”Collapse,” and “See more,” the links text now use the current system accent color. In Addition, the “Clear all” text has been replaced for “Clear all notifications” to make clearer the action of the button.

Action Center links

Action Center now supports a two-finger touch gesture to dismiss all notifications.

If a notification doesn’t support being dismissed, the toast will now show an X instead of an arrow, and when writing a response in a notification and you dismiss it by accident, Action center will now save the draft automatically.

In addition, Action Center uses “am”/”pm” when indicating timestamp with the 12-hour clock format, rather than “a”/”p”.

Cortana: (ok, this one was just a waste of time as cortana is something no-one gives a shit about)

Spoiler

Cortana

On version 1803, the Cortana’s Notebook is getting a face lift that makes the experience easier to use and more responsive with tabs and card-based items. 

In the new experience, the Organizer tab is where you’ll now find lists and reminders, and the Manage Skillstab is where you can now change many of the Cortana settings.

Click the edit button on the right will open the new profile page where you to add and edit favorite places. The places you add will be use to give you traffic updates, and let you easily set reminders when you arrive or leave your location.

Cortana profile UI on build 17127

My Opinion: (have to include it to keep within posting guidelines)

I'ts good that Microsoft is adding stuff into their OS, but they always fail to listen to the end-user and just add what they want and it screws over the end-user as it breaks older software that doesn't have support for the update yet, the next time i see a big update, i want them to add features that users want/need and put bug fixing as a higher priority in the development of said update instead of fixing it in later updates and making the end-user wait for their windows system to update because the settings app doesn't like people called Kevin

(if my post doesn't fit within the guidelines, let me know what is wrong and i will fix it quickly)

i hope i get onto wan show, colton if you are reading this put #MakeColtonTheCeoOfLMG in the wan show document, you don't have to, i just thought it would be funny...

anyways see you!

UPDATE: when i was writing this i was updating my system to 1803, not much has changed, the settings app REALLY got an overhaul and almost everything can be found there now, they did a good job but i still would of preferred a lot of bug fixes and patches like with XP SP2, 

source: https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-redstone-4-version-1803-new-features/

Edited by Salv8 (sam)
Update and fix's

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Why bother putting your opinion in at the bottom, you've made it quite clear all the way through the post and in the title with big bold words.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yeah, I don't need or want any of that. I just hope that somewhere in the update that I will be forced to download eventually there are fixes for some of the other software issues plaguing build 1709. Honestly, I haven't hated a Windows OS this much since millennium edition.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why bother putting your opinion in at the bottom, you've made it quite clear all the way through the post and in the title with big bold words.

Uh, because it's part of the forum news section rules...as the OP stated literally right at the bottom.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

comedic value

it's funny when you can have a small joke relating to what you are talking about, you don't see what often anymore...

it also cushions the blow if there is a feature that is something they will really hate when the update gets installed on their system

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Update changed my desktop wallpaper to shitty windows default one.
Update put Microsoft Edge on my desktop - Yeah, nice try Microsoft but I still aint using it.
Don't like the new audio settings menu either.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Uh, because it's part of the forum news section rules...as the OP stated literally right at the bottom.

I was just highlighting the extreme language in the entire news article opinion piece.   

Some of us prefer the information rather than rants. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Update changed my desktop wallpaper to shitty windows default one.
Update put Microsoft Edge on my desktop - Yeah, nice try Microsoft but I still aint using it.
Don't like the new audio settings menu either.

oh, please don't tell me they have changed again.   Ever since XP setting up my room measuring software has been a pain in the arse, They insist on changing the settings and adding shit features with every update/version.