Windows 10 April Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is only some users. It has to do with Chrome using symbolic links folder instead of actually having all its files next to the program, like any other program. However, you can avoid it by doing to the Chrome installation folder, and that has been reported to fix the issue, or doing Win+Shift+Ctrl+B on your keyboard, or putting the system and wake it up.

Microsoft has acknowledge the issue which also affects Cortana and Edge, and Microsoft is working on a fix. It does not affect Firefox, Opera or IE11

Remember that the official release to the masses of April update is May 8, and Windows Update will kick-in on your wave if you let it be.

That still sucks because I use Chrome all the time since it's the only browser that has tight integration to Google services like Drive and Docs. I mean, the Fall Creators Update works well for me so I'll stick with it until Microsoft finally pushes a software fix which hopefully doesn't cause more problems.

Somehow Windows 10 04/2018 Update reminds me of iOS 11 and Apple Vista.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It is only some users. It has to do with Chrome using symbolic links folder instead of actually having all its files next to the program, like any other program. However, you can avoid it by doing to the Chrome installation folder, and that has been reported to fix the issue, or doing Win+Shift+Ctrl+B on your keyboard, or putting the system and wake it up.

Source on it being caused by the use of symbolic links?

By saying "like any other program" it sounds like you're putting the blame on Chrome, but a quick read reveals that it is affecting a lot of other programs too. Edge, Cortana and Outlook for example.

I have seen at least one person say it affects them using Firefox too, but it is hard to tell if it is really the same issue or a separate one.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

So far, I saw 0 report of people having issues with Chrome on this forum. So probably it affects old systems, or a specific configuration is needed to reproduce the issue.

I think you're jumping to conclusions based on a lot of assumptions there. I mean, I doubt you have read every single post on the forum, but it is not even certain that someone affected by this will have posted it on here. On top of that a lot of people here are not using new computers. I think it's a pretty big assumption to even say this forum has newer computers than the average household has.

We are not sure that it is some hardware related configuration that causes the issue either. It could be for example some specific set of settings within Windows that causes it.

I wish I could test out the improved HDR stuff. Will be a while before I get an HDR monitor though.

So far, I've seen a few issues with the GUI. But the biggest issue right now, is that the shell context menu for Winamp seems to be broken, so I can't enqueue files directly from explorer. How annoying.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 hours ago, Notional said:

I wish I could test out the improved HDR stuff. Will be a while before I get an HDR monitor though.

So far, I've seen a few issues with the GUI. But the biggest issue right now, is that the shell context menu for Winamp seems to be broken, so I can't enqueue files directly from explorer. How annoying.

I tested it, it's worse now. **** you Microsoft....

Not only does it wash out the home screen, but games as well. Before the home screen was washed out and it was fine in games. So pissed. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

5 hours ago, Notional said:

I suggest to wait for the dust to settle. Too many standards, implementation varies by monitor manufacture as it is all new and want to rush to market, GPU drivers are also not there either, Windows 10 neither. Best to wait.

Edited by GoodBytes

Is it safe to update? Or do I have to keep using my Mac? 

Spoiler

I haven’t touched my PC in almost a week because of horror stories of this update

Not even High Sierra broke things this bad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is it safe to update? Or do I have to keep using my Mac? 

Hide contents

I haven’t touched my PC in almost a week because of horror stories of this update

Not even High Sierra broke things this bad. 

I now accept Windows 8.1 as my computer's personal savior ?

5aed59d526496_Screenshot(29).png.5b96f18211a61c6149f8d408209b8cda.png

See, this is why I dislike this form of update rollout.

Barely enough time to make sure things worked. I’m fully expecting my system to constantly bluescreen on Forza Horizon 3 for the first few days until patches arrive, just as it did on the last few updates.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

43 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Microsoft's the right to be forgotten

For those wondering, this is one of the requirements in GDPR.

A user must be able to have their personal data deleted upon request.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Actually, Windows 10 had this feature since day 1. You just had to login to your MS account online. You have everything there, including advertisement id. You can turn things off, or on, clear, to delete select items.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, Windows 10 had this feature since day 1. You just had to login to your MS account online. You have everything there, including advertisement id. You can turn things off, or on, clear, to delete select items.

But they only added it to Windows settings until now. I prefer the current approach of it being built in to the OS rather than logging in to an account not to mention they're doing this as compliance to EU's General Data Protection Regulation.

5 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Screenshot (31).png

Judging by how that's worded, to me that doesn't appear to mean it removes the data Microsoft has collected from Microsoft's servers. That only means that the copy of it that is on your own PC is erased - but it will have already been sent to Microsoft's servers and will continue to be stored in Microsoft's data vaults.

It looks to me like that option is meaningless a token gesture intended to throw people off Microsoft's tail by giving them a false sense of privacy and control.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

29 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Judging by how that's worded, to me that doesn't appear to mean it removes the data Microsoft has collected from Microsoft's servers. That only means that the copy of it that is on your own PC is erased - but it will have already been sent to Microsoft's servers and will continue to be stored in Microsoft's data vaults.

It looks to me like that option is meaningless a token gesture intended to throw people off Microsoft's tail by giving them a false sense of privacy and control.

No no, it actually clears the data on Microsoft servers. But doesn't clear everything, as it says, you need to go to the Microsoft Account portal for the rest. However, this Delete button only clear the data for this specific computer, not everything from all your devices.

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

But they only added it to Windows settings until now. I prefer the current approach of it being built in to the OS rather than logging in to an account not to mention they're doing this as compliance to EU's General Data Protection Regulation.

Sorry I didn't express myself properly. Yes this is a new option in the Settings panel. I forgot to mention it.

What I wanted to say is that before, you did have a link in one of the page to access your Microsoft Account and could manage your privacy data. Now there is a button. Maybe in the future they might add all the web options to the Windows Settings panel., who knows, but would be definitely more convenient.

Is anyone else having stability and compatibility problems since the update? PUBG and other games crash randomly, even after getting rid of all OC's.... Kaspersky doesn't recognize this version yet....

And, the privacy settings are garbage. Long gone are the days of clicking off for everything.... I did that, and found that some settings such as microphone and connected devices deactivated my Corsair Void.. I mean, getting it up and running after the install was near impossible. It has the microphone input level zeroed out, and that was after trying to fix driver issues as well..... And continuing with the privacy settings, it looks like you have to specify which "apps" to allow and disallow now for some of it.... No more blanket no's.

Not sure I'm a fan.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, GoodBytes said:

So far, I saw 0 report of people having issues with Chrome on this forum. So probably it affects old systems, or a specific configuration is needed to reproduce the issue.

8th gen intel laptop here with this issue. I suspect it has something to do with intel graphic.

25 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

And, the privacy settings are garbage. Long gone are the days of clicking off for everything.... I did that, and found that some settings such as microphone and connected devices deactivated my Corsair Void.. I mean, getting it up and running after the install was near impossible. It has the microphone input level zeroed out, and that was after trying to fix driver issues as well..... And continuing with the privacy settings, it looks like you have to specify which "apps" to allow and disallow now for some of it.... No more blanket no's.

Sounds like a sound card driver issue, probably miss detecting the version of Windows as it was not adapted to this new version, that is my guess.

For games, Nvidia just released new drivers to fix many issues, try them, if you have an Nvidia GPU.

For the privacy option, that is for apps acquired from the Windows Store. This does not involve Win32/classic apps.

Also, you do have a universal off/on button:

Here is an example with Microsoft:

Capture.PNG.510e59db05dc60d9fe82c1526df00170.PNG

On 4/11/2018 at 11:39 AM, Fetzie said:

Does this version support updating an installation on Samsung 900 Pro series nVMe SSDs? The last feature updates failed because the first time runner can't detect the boot sector on the drive.

950 Pro here, updated from 1709 to 1803 few days ago, and had updated a couple times before that including from 8.1 to 10, never been an issue. I did break the OS once but that was my doing. Seemingly, it may have always been supported but maybe mobo/bios settings dependent rather than OS dependent.

Good write-up, update seemed uneventful, no issues, couple new features. Cool.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

No no, it actually clears the data on Microsoft servers. But doesn't clear everything, as it says, you need to go to the Microsoft Account portal for the rest. However, this Delete button only clear the data for this specific computer, not everything from all your devices.

Do you have a citation of Microsoft explicitly stating that this feature removes your data from Microsoft's servers?

Microsoft spends big money on their wording and when they want to be specific they know how to do that. And when they want to be ambiguous, they also know how to do that. When something isn't specifically defined by Microsoft, it's normally because Microsoft wants to play with multiple interpretations so that naive readers will assume one thing when Microsoft meant a more nefarious thing and didn't want to straight-up tell the public, but also had to word things in a manner so that they weren't technically lying - even if they were being deliberately misleading.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 2018-05-06 at 5:22 AM, GoodBytes said:

On 2018-05-06 at 9:07 AM, Delicieuxz said:

Do you have a citation of Microsoft explicitly stating that this feature removes your data from Microsoft's servers?

Microsoft spends big money on their wording and when they want to be specific they know how to do that. And when they want to be ambiguous, they also know how to do that. When something isn't specifically defined by Microsoft, it's normally because Microsoft wants to play with multiple interpretations so that naive readers will assume one thing when Microsoft meant a more nefarious thing and didn't want to straight-up tell the public, but also had to word things in a manner so that they weren't technically lying - even if they were being deliberately misleading.

I would like a citation for this too.

Preferably some better definition of what exactly is being deleted as well. What exactly is defined as "diagnostic data"? 

Maybe some packet sniffing will be required for slightly better understanding of what happens.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:48 PM, MattMatt said:

Windows 10 update bug locks machines running Chrome, Cortana and others

Been running the April 2018 update, no problems with Chrome, Edge, and other programs. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:01 AM, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft has acknowledge the issue which also affects Cortana and Edge, and Microsoft is working on a fix. It does not affect Firefox, Opera or IE11

Remember that the official release to the masses of April update is May 8, and Windows Update will kick-in on your wave if you let it be.

It affects my laptop, but not my desktop for some reason.

It'd be nice if Microsoft used the next Windows 10 update (presumably 1809) to fix all the annoying things about the operating system and making sure bugs like these would never happen in the first place instead of tacking on more useless features that barely add any value to the operating system, but that'd make sense and require a QA team instead of unpaid and most likely "I have no idea what I'm doing"-type Insiders, right? 9_9

^Did you try the new dpi auto adjust feature? I would argue that it is extremely useful for high dpi devices. 

I find it funny when people say that Windows 7 has security updates only until 2020 as a motivation to install Windows 10, because that still makes Windows 7 a better long-term solution than Windows 10 as Windows 10 will require being re-installed (possibly multiple times) before 2020 due to all the update issues that occur with each new major patch.

A person might get by a couple of those large Windows 10 updates without noticeable OS degradation, but sooner or later they're going to get bit by modern Microsoft's greatly-reduced design, coding, and QA quality.