Windows 10 April Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
16 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

What the hell are you talking about? Cairo -what QT uses, as well as GTK and all those other Unix oriented toolkits- is specifically about drawing straight to a framebuffer in hardware... Cairo *is* a 2D/3D canvas framework... that uses OpenGL, Imagebuffers, Windows GDI, or any number of other hardware based backends...

Cairo does not have interface.

You can't do "dropdownlist (items_array, 1);" and get a drop down list menu that is GPU rendered. Cairo is to do graphs, load SVG, and do animations, among other things.

I don't recall you can even do true 3D with it, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

16 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Your arguments aren't making any sense.

Who's strawmanning now? Wine? Who brought up Wine? How about OpenGL? OpenCL? OpenVG? Vulkan? CUDA? Any number of other open standards that require driver and system backing?

It was based on past conversation, and him saying that UWP isn't multi-platform and so is "cancer", when Win32 isn't either.

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You can't do "dropdownlist (items_array, 1);" and get a drop down list menu that is GPU rendered. Cairo is to do graphs, load SVG, and do animations, among other things.

I don't recall you can even do true 3D with it, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

...you're right... which is why it's just the backend for an actual widget framework... like like GTK or QT... Which is what I said in the first place...

It can't draw 3D directly, but you can draw to the 2D canvas via API hooks to 3D APIs such as OpenGL.

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It was based on past conversation, and him saying that UWP isn't multi-platform and so is "cancer", when Win32 isn't either.

His comment was more that UWP *prevents* portable code.

You can totally have portable code with Win32. Write an App using GTK+ and C++, utilizing only standard C or portable libraries like Boost. Totally doable.

UWP explicitly prevents this by preventing access to standard and portable interfaces like OpenGL. It's anticompetitive and what we open source developers call a "dick move". UWP is specifically designed to lock developers into Microsoft's ecosystem.

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup, and people had issues installing it. It was far from perfect. Hence the point.  This conversation is over, as you are keep changing the topic of conversation in a desperate attempt to say you are right.

Again, you're trying to equate two very different scales of issues just to go "yep, both had issues so they are the same".

You're trying to compare a one time occurrence to something that has happened 5 times in less than 3 years. Sure it was not perfect, but it was hell of a lot better than what we got with Windows 10 from an update stability POV.

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The link you posted is you thread with your own interpretation. I had to dig through the actual source get proper context.

It was not talking about High-DPI aware calls. I was making high-DPI aware programs back in XP, Everything was properly documented and I was still in high school.

He was referring to the active changes that they have been doing to the PER MONITOR high-DPI aware.

Per monitor DPI support is just one of many areas where the Windows APIs have been lacking. Also, you completely ignored my other quote about WinForms. I wouldn't call that "properly DPI aware".

Programming high DPI aware applications on Windows is a clusterfuck. Not even Microsoft can do it properly. Yet on MacOS the transition has gone very smoothly, requiring fairly little change from developers. They also did it right from the start, so they didn't have to introduce new features and changes in every new version just to try and fix the mess.

31 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hardware accelerated means you use the hardware to help in some effects or help in the drawing process, which that information is given to the CPU to output the results instead of doing the calculations itself.  2D/3D Canvas is having an area of the application which you use OpenGL or DirectX or something else to render a 2D or 3D scene, which yes, that can be a GUI, but the dev has to code everything. mouse tracking to know if the mouse is over a button to change the state, and every other element. They might be able to implement another framework to fill that need so that they don't need to code raw window components to make their life easier.

I don't know how to respond to this because it is nonsense. I think you have a very wrong understanding of what hardware acceleration is.

Hardware accelerated and hardware assisted are not the same things.

I think you're trying to derail the conversation though. My point was that the reason why a lot of programs still uses CPU rendering is because Microsoft's toolkit includes a lot of things which do not support it. It is not like developers willingly choose to have software rendered GUIs. They end up with it because the APIs from Microsoft uses it.

43 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Silly at what? You are the ones with big claims that can't even list anything without scratching the bucket and exaggerating impacts, and asking me sources on clear statements.

Ohhh now I get it. You're mad that I asked for a source on your claim that Microsoft deletes the data from their servers.

The wording is ambiguous so I don't think we should make assumptions and then spread those as gospel.

The button says it "erase diagnostic data that has been collected by Microsoft from this device". Do they mean "data which originates from this device" or "the data will be erased from this device"? It could be either.

50 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You are just panicking because UWP doesn't play fine with Wine.

Why would I panic over that? First of all, there are no UWP programs I want to use.

Secondly, I use Windows 10. Why would I use WINE when I can just run things natively?

Like I said in another thread earlier today:

The entire reason why I care so much about this is because I want Microsoft to improve. You seem to think that I make these posts because I just want to shit in Microsoft for some reason. I don't. I bring these things up to educate people like you, who are spreading harmful misinformation which hinders things from becoming better. I want Microsoft to change, and that is why I inform people so that they can join in and protest against these practices. I talk shit about Microsoft because I am a user of their products and want them to improve.

54 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

UWP isn't growing because the industry has shifted to smartphone. Ignoring custom apps and games, what new, big, non system tweak app has appeared under Windows? Why current fully functional ones, should be recoded for UWP? Vivaldi? yay...

"Give me one example! Oh but you can't use any example from categories X, Y, Z or A!".

How about all the mining software that has appeared in recent years?

What about libaom? It's a pretty big deal, and will only become more important as time goes on.

What about this little framework called Electron? It's used by several Microsoft software.

But why are you limiting me to just new programs? Or just big ones? I can list many programs which are not new, but wouldn't function as UWP. Older programs aren't irrelevant.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

UWP isn't growing because the industry has shifted to smartphone.

UWP isn't growing because people see no value in it. They see no reason to use it over traditional Win32 apps. It doesn't help at all that the Windows- I mean Microsoft Store hardly works half the time. It's honestly baffling that a company as big as Microsoft can't make something like an app store work right.

18 minutes ago, NowakVulpix said:

UWP isn't growing because people see no value in it. They see no reason to use it over traditional Win32 apps. It doesn't help at all that the Windows- I mean Microsoft Store hardly works half the time. It's honestly baffling that a company as big as Microsoft can't make something like an app store work right.

I think it actually makes lots of sense.  They are integrating an app store into an OS that almost no one will intuitively look for (hence less feedback).    When you say app store the first thing people think is apple or google on their phone/tablet,  not that pile of metal in the corner you type your uni esay's on.

Also All companies produce a product will flaws that makes us go whaaaaa?   How could apple pout undersized batteries in their phones?  how could Lenovo knowingly risk business Reputation with superfish?  How could MS take our start menu away? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

• Microsoft has started to block April Update from arriving on PCs who runs Avast. The company has identified to be a culprit in breaking the upgrade process (what a surprise). Microsoft is working with Avast in getting this issue fixed so that users can successfully upgrade to this version of Windows.
  • I forgot to post as update, but the April update was blocked if you had a Toshiba or Intel SSD due to compatibility issue as well. Microsoft has been working with Toshiba and Intel, and a patch should be coming.

The work around now, if you want a successful update, is to uninstall Avast, restart your PC, and now do the update.

Source: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-is-blocking-windows-10-april-2018-update-on-pcs-with-avast-antivirus-installed/