Windows 10 April Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well, an update shouldn't touch files it doesn't have to touch. If the driver breaks every update then it is because Microsoft are changing something the driver relies on, or just some setting in general. I think it's reasonable to question why Microsoft constantly makes those changes in every update, causing the drivers to stop working.

It doesn't touch files it doesn't have to touch. But if detects that the manufacture of the touchpad goes "Hey! Here are better Windows 10 drivers!!!", and they don't work, or the drivers are marked to only work for Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8 and up, then generic drivers will be installed which may or may not work depending if the touchpad manufacture decided to follow standards or not.

The same reason Windows can't magically add power to a system, it can't rework your hardware to be better.

Wow, more useless features I'll probably use once or twice and never bother with again.  I just want Microsoft to stop collecting telemetry data on my desktop.

But I love how detailed your post was, thank you for sharing.

"Hyper Demon" Build: 

Case: NZXT H440 Hyper Beast.  CPU: AMD R9 3900x (cooled by a KrakeX62).  GPU: AMD XFX RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black.  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 32GB ram @3600mhz.  Mobo: Asus Crosshair VI hero. PSU: Corsair RM850x.  Boot drive: Samsung 960 evo 500gb nvme ssd.  Game storage: Samsung 860 evo 1TB SATA SSD.  Bulk storage: WD Black 2TB.  

Thank you for the write up. Are there any screenshots of this "fluent design"? Is it kinda like the Windows 7 Aero effect? I really miss that from Windows 7.

now the question can I stop tab switching history? I don't want or need this.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

31 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

Thank you for the write up. Are there any screenshots of this "fluent design"? Is it kinda like the Windows 7 Aero effect? I really miss that from Windows 7.

It's a scattered here and there, making it a write up all by itself. You can watch the posted video, I think this will give you a better idea. The whole thing is a transitions. So expect further implementation in the following update and probably the update after that as well.

It's not a massive change visually as File Explorer has been left untouched. So it's only the task bar that now has transparency, the glass effect on the Action center and Start menu has been improved, Windows built-in apps have also transparency, and so on.

1709 here, 0xa0000400, BSOD while trying to run the update assistant and the start menu stuck forever in "Update and shut down" even if there are no updates pending

Windows being Windows.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

32 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

now the question can I stop tab switching history? I don't want or need this.

Yes you can.

Settings > System > Multi-tasking. Under TImeline, turn off "Show suggestions occasionally on timeline"

Then go to:

Settings > Privacy > Activity History

And turn off everything inside.

Now you'll only see the currently running programs, with multiple virtual desktop similarly to before

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

1709 here, 0xa0000400, BSOD while trying to run the update assistant and the start menu stuck forever in "Update and shut down" even if there are no updates pending

Windows being Windows.

That doesn't sounds like a BSOD. Sounds like an error.

Also, did you follow the recommendation at the bottom of the main post?

29 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That doesn't sounds like a BSOD. Sounds like an error.

Also, did you follow the recommendation at the bottom of the main post?

that error pops while running the "update assistant", if I try to run the "media creation tool" to download the ISO then it's instant BSOD and restart, followed every guide, every trick, system restore is unable to fix it.

guess it just wants a clean install every 3 months just like my old XP rig, that one also had a Intel CPU and the exact same behavior, first update errors, then the explorer.exe not starting (never knew what caused it) and at the end constant freezes, weirdest thing is that this never happened to my AMD computers, the curse is real.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

that error pops while running the "update assistant", if I try to run the "media creation tool" to download the ISO then it's instant BSOD and restart, followed every guide, every trick, system restore is unable to fix it.

guess it just wants a clean install every 3 months just like my old XP rig, that one also had a Intel CPU and the exact same behavior, first update errors, then the explorer.exe not starting (never knew what caused it) and at the end constant freezes, weirdest thing is that this never happened to my AMD computers, the curse is real.

Well you are definitely doing something wrong. You don't see companies doing this, they just upgrade. I think it is worth making a thread under the troubleshooting section. But very quickly, do you happen to use a system tweak utility (not all are bad, but many are just randomly following what some site says and no actual understanding is being done by the dev and can have consequences, and of course a bug in the app can do things it should not be doing)? did you ever use a registry cleaners? These things tend to break the OS which are usually visible when you have updates.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It doesn't touch files it doesn't have to touch.

Yes it does. Remember when Windows 10 updates started uninstalling programs for users?

But if detects that the manufacture of the touchpad goes "Hey! Here are better Windows 10 drivers!!!", and they don't work, or the drivers are marked to only work for Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8 and up, then generic drivers will be installed which may or may not work depending if the touchpad manufacture decided to follow standards or not.

Hold on. You're making it sound like it is the driver contacting Windows 10. However, it is the Windows update that is scanning your hardware and going "oh, I should replace this driver because it is for Windows 8". If there is a driver being overwritten, then it is Windows doing it, not the driver itself. And like I said, the update shouldn't touch files that are not related to the update.

The same reason Windows can't magically add power to a system, it can't rework your hardware to be better.

I don't understand how that analogy is relevant.

All I am saying is that I don't think Microsoft should make Windows overwrite files that are unrelated to the updates they are pushing out. If they are making changes to the HAL for trackpads in every update then they should get their shit sorted and fix it once and for all. If they are not making changes to it then the update shouldn't go in and remove drivers for the trackpad.

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes it does. Remember when Windows 10 updates started uninstalling programs for users?

Poor Speccy remembers very well.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 hours ago, porina said:

That's not the only example though... every major Win10 update breaks nvidia drivers. I always have to reinstall afterwards to get full functionality back.

Does that happen only on 1 pc? Because I just upgraded 3 PCs today with 850m (ok, it's a laptop), 1070 and 1050Ti, no drivers were broken. This is an isolated issue though.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Does that happen only on 1 pc? Because I just upgraded 3 PCs today with 850m (ok, it's a laptop), 1070 and 1050Ti, no drivers were broken. 

It happened on any nvidia system, but only noticeable if you use them for compute. Graphics seemed unaffected. I haven't tested this latest one in depth yet, but it seems like MS are breaking fewer things now.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

It happened on any nvidia system, but only noticeable if you use them for compute. Graphics seemed unaffected. I haven't tested this latest one in depth yet, but it seems like MS are breaking fewer things now.

To be fair, a friend that has an AMD 7850 told me today his drivers were broken due to the update. This just makes things worse I suppose. 

9 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

i dont get  what your issue is. whats worng  with this!

Do you like reading news articles like that?     Why is it a problem that I prefer a standard font size/font that explains the news rather than the news being hidden in spoilers while the rest of the post is over sized font in bold?  and that's forgetting that it isn't even relevant to the news as it was just an opinion.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

so sick of windows changing setting when it updates....

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

do you happen to use a system tweak utility? did you ever use a registry cleaners? These things tend to break the OS which are usually visible when you have updates.

Only Windows disk defrag and disk cleanup

I'm in safe mode w/networking and the media creation tool is downloading the update, it's likely going to take the whole night to dl so I'll just leave the computer on and hopefully it'll be there tomorrow

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

Do you like reading news articles like that?     Why is it a problem that I prefer a standard font size/font that explains the news rather than the news being hidden in spoilers while the rest of the post is over sized font in bold?  and that's forgetting that it isn't even relevant to the news as it was just an opinion.

because this is a forum not the verge. your being a condescending arsehole to people who fill this section off there own back. you dont get to criticise them. 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

because this is a forum not the verge. your being a condescending arsehole to people who fill this section off there own back. you dont get to criticise them. 

Of course I get to criticize them,  if they hide the quotes in spoilers and don't want to maintain a basic integrity that every other poster does then I have every right, that does not make me a condescending arsehole, but thanks for the insult.

EDIT: and to note, to be condescending I would have to believe I was in someway superior, I did not post anything that alludes to that, I simply expressed my dislike for the format and suggested a different way to do it.  I did not tell or insinuates anything of the OP (before the threads merged).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Windows 10 update bug locks machines running Chrome, Cortana and others

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/04/windows-10-april-2018-update-bug-locks-machines-running-chrome-cortana

Just as Taran says with adobe premiere, you should always delay updating any software for a while to check if bugs are reported, unless it's not your main machine or you have plans to work around any issues.

From Microsoft:

Microsoft is aware that some devices running the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) may hang or freeze when using certain apps, such as “Hey Cortana” or Chrome. 

If your device freezes when using an app, try one of the following steps to recover Windows without needing to restart:

1. Try a Windows key sequence to wake the screen.  If you have a keyboard connected, simultaneously press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B. If you’re on a tablet, simultaneously press both the volume-up and volume-down buttons, three times within 2 seconds.  If Windows is responsive, a short beep will sound and the screen will blink or dim while Windows attempts to refresh the screen.
  2. If you’re using a laptop, close and open the laptop lid.

Microsoft is working on a solution with the goal of including it in the next regular monthly update, currently targeted for a release date of May 8, 2018. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/some-devices-may-hang-or-freeze-when-using-certain/612a341b-340a-4ac0-8866-df5346327a52

2 minutes ago, MattMatt said:

Windows 10 update bug locks machines running Chrome, Cortana and others

That was close

Screenshot (23).png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

That was close

It is only some users. It has to do with Chrome using symbolic links folder instead of actually having all its files next to the program, like any other program. However, you can avoid it by doing to the Chrome installation folder, and that has been reported to fix the issue, or doing Win+Shift+Ctrl+B on your keyboard, or putting the system and wake it up.

Microsoft has acknowledge the issue which also affects Cortana and Edge, and Microsoft is working on a fix. It does not affect Firefox, Opera or IE11

Remember that the official release to the masses of April update is May 8, and Windows Update will kick-in on your wave if you let it be.

So far, I saw 0 report of people having issues with Chrome on this forum. So probably it affects old systems, or a specific configuration is needed to reproduce the issue.