Windows 10 April Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

I just want them to fix HDR. i'm tired of going into setting before and after i want to play Shadow of War. 

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

Does this version support updating an installation on Samsung 900 Pro series nVMe SSDs? The last feature updates failed because the first time runner can't detect the boot sector on the drive.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

its going to be broken as ****, like every other major update for Windows 10. 

3 hours ago, Notional said:

Apparently a breaking bug has delayed the release of this update.

irony-alert-ironic.jpg

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

The comments in that yt video is filled with morons. Want to disable every single feature mentioned in this new update. They might as well just throw away every single modern device they have and go back to using a type writer.

What's your beef?  I haven't read the YT comments, but based on your post I would state that not all of us like these changes.  Some of us are only forced to upgrade in order to keep getting updates.  Why should we suffer through dealing with minutia that we find pointless, just because you say so?

I'm not saying that everything is bad, just that Microsoft tends to add a lot of stuff that's often annoying or unnecessary.  It's our computer, we can modify it as we see fit.  Disabling everything may be a bit overboard, but I still don't see how that makes anyone a moron.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

What's your beef?  I haven't read the YT comments, but based on your post I would state that not all of us like these changes.  Some of us are only forced to upgrade in order to keep getting updates.  Why should we suffer through dealing with minutia that we find pointless, just because you say so?

I'm not saying that everything is bad, just that Microsoft tends to add a lot of stuff that's often annoying or unnecessary.  It's our computer, we can modify it as we see fit.  Disabling everything may be a bit overboard, but I still don't see how that makes anyone a moron.

Most of the features I see in this new updates are actually quite useful and isn't annoying. All they do is complain and yet probably still continue to use Win10.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

did they fix the stupid issue where mapped network drives are disconnected at boot sometimes? aggravating because to fix you gotta open explorer and go click on your network drives

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Speaking generally here, people don't like change but want change. All these complains are nothing that surprise me. It is the same thing at EVERY version of Windows 10, and version of Windows in general.

25 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

did they fix the stupid issue where mapped network drives are disconnected at boot sometimes? aggravating because to fix you gotta open explorer and go click on your network drives

That is more of a network driver issues. Some of them disconnects or don't connect until Windows is loaded, and not while it loads. So for a few seconds (well depends on the PC perf), file explorer might load and not see you are connected, of the network card still loading, and can't ping the network drive.

Really not liking the design of task view. There is a much better way to do it. Just look at OS X Snow Leopard. 

I appreciate their attempts at improving the design but things are still stuck in the past. 

It kinda feels like MS is still bolting things onto their old foundation. 

Windows still uses NTFS as the default right? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Most of the features I see in this new updates are actually quite useful and isn't annoying. All they do is complain and yet probably still continue to use Win10.

Me: "I think I'll stick with Windows 7. I don't like what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10".

MDF: "Stop using Windows 7 and use Windows 10 instead! Windows 7 is old and obsolete!"

Microsoft: "We will deliberately block updates for Windows 7 on newer processors, and actively try to sabotage it by doing things such as bundling updates, thus removing control, and push things like telemetry to Windows 7 too"

Me: "OK... I guess I'll switch to Windows 10... But I really don't like X, Y and Z. I think it would be far better if they did these things instead..."

MDF: "If you don't like it, why use it? Go use something else instead of you're just going to complain!".

Yes I use Windows 10, and it is exactly why I will keep complaining about it. If I didn't use it, why would I complain? I could let Microsoft ruin it if they want to so much. However, since I use it and rely on it not only for work, but also personal use, I want it to be as good as possible.

I don't want Microsoft to focus on stuff like logging which programs I use and when I use them (yes, that Timeline feature sends all the programs you use to Microsoft's servers, including which files you had opened). I want them to do things like give users more control over updates and telemetry data.

I want them to do things like stop calling back to Bing whenever I do a local search on my computer.

I want them to stop adding so many useless things like "Edit with Paint 3D" into the context menu. I use the context menu to do things quickly, and looking through a list of 15 different options when I only need 5 is not efficient.

How about letting me disable the "open your web browser and visit bing.com when you click on F1 in explorer" without needing to take ownership of system files and deleting/renaming them?

What about decoupling Explorer from Internet Explorer? The security levels for local SMB file transfers are still controlled through the Internet Explorer security options.

How about updating their God awful NTFS file system? It should have been replaced at least a decade ago, and their only halfassed effort is ReFS, which they actually REMOVED support for in Windows 10 Pro, just to resell it to people as Windows 10 Workstation.

Is there any reason why I can't bundle network interfaces in Windows 10 Pro, but I can in Windows server? Rumors has it that Microsoft even blocked NIC drivers from doing it.

Why do we even have this stupid market segregation still? Why not just make one version of Windows?

I have a long list of things I want Microsoft to fix, and instead what they do is add more garbage data harvesting features that I will need to turn off. Installing Windows used to be pretty quick and easy. Now I have a list of things that I need to change just to make it somewhat bearable. I have like 10 different menus, spread out all throughout Windows that I need to dig through in order to turn off all the ads. Don't want ads for OneDrive inside Explorer? Those ads are turned off in one menu. Don't want ads for handwriting stuff? That's turned off in another place. Don't want ads through Cortana? Then you need to turn that off in a third place.

It is crazy how much shit Microsoft are pushing to users, and people still defend it. Microsoft are ruining Windows and it is sad to see people not only kiss their ass about it, but actively try and tell people to stop suggesting ways to improve it.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Windows still uses NTFS as the default right? 

Yes, and it's even worse than that. This is the full list of file systems Windows 10 Pro supports:

NTFS

FAT12/16/32

ISO 9660 (Used for optical media)

UDF (basically a replacement for ISO 9660, used on things like video DVDs)

Windows can't even mount drives with other file systems like ext4, and the source code for that is free. I get that implementing it so that the OS can run from it is tough, especially with Windows permissions being so tightly integrated into NTFS (terrible design choice by the way), but at least implement a read function for other drives. Like what Apple has done for NTFS (read support enabled by default, write support available to disabled by default).

People like to talk about Windows 7 being "outdated" because it's "so old". Well the newest file system Windows supports is 25 years old at this point. Maybe it's time to update it?

47 minutes ago, LAwLz said:
Spoiler

Me: "I think I'll stick with Windows 7. I don't like what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10".

MDF: "Stop using Windows 7 and use Windows 10 instead! Windows 7 is old and obsolete!"

Microsoft: "We will deliberately block updates for Windows 7 on newer processors, and actively try to sabotage it by doing things such as bundling updates, thus removing control, and push things like telemetry to Windows 7 too"

Me: "OK... I guess I'll switch to Windows 10... But I really don't like X, Y and Z. I think it would be far better if they did these things instead..."

MDF: "If you don't like it, why use it? Go use something else instead of you're just going to complain!".

Yes I use Windows 10, and it is exactly why I will keep complaining about it. If I didn't use it, why would I complain? I could let Microsoft ruin it if they want to so much. However, since I use it and rely on it not only for work, but also personal use, I want it to be as good as possible.

I don't want Microsoft to focus on stuff like logging which programs I use and when I use them (yes, that Timeline feature sends all the programs you use to Microsoft's servers, including which files you had opened). I want them to do things like give users more control over updates and telemetry data.

I want them to do things like stop calling back to Bing whenever I do a local search on my computer.

I want them to stop adding so many useless things like "Edit with Paint 3D" into the context menu. I use the context menu to do things quickly, and looking through a list of 15 different options when I only need 5 is not efficient.

How about letting me disable the "open your web browser and visit bing.com when you click on F1 in explorer" without needing to take ownership of system files and deleting/renaming them?

What about decoupling Explorer from Internet Explorer? The security levels for local SMB file transfers are still controlled through the Internet Explorer security options.

How about updating their God awful NTFS file system? It should have been replaced at least a decade ago, and their only halfassed effort is ReFS, which they actually REMOVED support for in Windows 10 Pro, just to resell it to people as Windows 10 Workstation.

Is there any reason why I can't bundle network interfaces in Windows 10 Pro, but I can in Windows server? Rumors has it that Microsoft even blocked NIC drivers from doing it.

Why do we even have this stupid market segregation still? Why not just make one version of Windows?

I have a long list of things I want Microsoft to fix, and instead what they do is add more garbage data harvesting features that I will need to turn off. Installing Windows used to be pretty quick and easy. Now I have a list of things that I need to change just to make it somewhat bearable. I have like 10 different menus, spread out all throughout Windows that I need to dig through in order to turn off all the ads. Don't want ads for OneDrive inside Explorer? Those ads are turned off in one menu. Don't want ads for handwriting stuff? That's turned off in another place. Don't want ads through Cortana? Then you need to turn that off in a third place.

It is crazy how much shit Microsoft are pushing to users, and people still defend it. Microsoft are ruining Windows and it is sad to see people not only kiss their ass about it, but actively try and tell people to stop suggesting ways to improve it.

I bet about 99% of the features in Windows 10, I have probably never used it or never will, but I don't act as if the sky is falling.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

54 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes, and it's even worse than that. This is the full list of file systems Windows 10 Pro supports:

NTFS

FAT12/16/32

ISO 9660 (Used for optical media)

UDF (basically a replacement for ISO 9660, used on things like video DVDs)

Windows can't even mount drives with other file systems like ext4, and the source code for that is free. I get that implementing it so that the OS can run from it is tough, especially with Windows permissions being so tightly integrated into NTFS (terrible design choice by the way), but at least implement a read function for other drives. Like what Apple has done for NTFS (read support enabled by default, write support available to disabled by default).

People like to talk about Windows 7 being "outdated" because it's "so old". Well the newest file system Windows supports is 25 years old at this point. Maybe it's time to update it?

You missed exFAT but yeah this is ridiculous.  Linux has manged, despite the proprietary nature of NTFS, to figure out how to successfully read and write it and has been able to do so for about a decade already (on the write front - reading even longer), and yet Windows can't manage to understand formats that are literally open source.  I think there's a lot of issues that are just too deeply ingrained to ever be fixed at this point.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Speaking generally here, people don't like change but want change. All these complains are nothing that surprise me. It is the same thing at EVERY version of Windows 10, and version of Windows in general.

The thing is for me, its not about the changes. As most of them I really dont notice or I find they work OK. My problem is about every feature update for Windows is buggy as shit. They need to do more validation before it reaches us end users. This is no Linux which costs $0. Windows cause money I expect it to be validated by professionals. Other than that I have no issues with Windows 10. Im just sick of hoping every time a feature update is released It dont take out my Windows install. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

That's not entirely true. Windows can't do it natively, but there are utilities out there that enable Windows users to do it.

It sucks ass, but it's doable.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You missed exFAT but yeah this is ridiculous.  Linux has manged, despite the proprietary nature of NTFS, to figure out how to successfully read and write it and has been able to do so for about a decade already (on the write front - reading even longer), and yet Windows can't manage to understand formats that are literally open source.  I think there's a lot of issues that are just too deeply ingrained to ever be fixed at this point.

It might just boil down to the fact that most devices can read/write FAT32 and NTFS now, so the higher ups don't see any point to doing it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

@LAwLz already addressed this NumLock21, but some people are forced to use Windows 10.  While others like me use Windows 10, but are forced to upgrade - with all the new baggage that comes with it - in order to continue receiving updates.  To be honest, I still set my computer to look as much like my old Windows 2000 machine as I can.  I actually held off on moving to Windows XP (back in the day) until I discovered I could set it to look like Win2k.  It's not just about visuals, but that's certainly part of it.

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Most of the features I see in this new updates are actually quite useful and isn't annoying.

To YOU the features are useful, that doesn't mean they'll be useful to everyone.  I don't begrudge MS improving Windows, just so long as their "enhancements" can be disabled for those of us who don't care for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Get your PC's ready. Microsoft announces that the official name of the Windows 10 update will be called: Windows 10 April Update. And it will be released this Monday (April 30th) for those who wants to force the update using the Media Creation Tool, or Microsoft Update Assistance. And it will be distributed through Windows Update May 8 (probably in waves, as always).

Source: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-announces-the-windows-10-april-2018-update-and-its-coming-on-monday

On 4/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, LAwLz said:

Rumors has it that Microsoft even blocked NIC drivers from doing it.

That's not a rumor ;). Damn annoying too.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, LAwLz said:

and their only halfassed effort is ReFS

Have you actually used ReFS though? Function wise it's very good with some extremely good smarts in it and ability for 3rd party applications to tie in to it for enabling advanced functions for the application, like Veeam.

Version 9.5 leverages the fast cloning capability in ReFS API to create synthetic backups without moving the data blocks between files, and instead, references backup file blocks already present on the volume. This means all manipulations associated with synthetic full backups are limited to metadata updates and require no actual I/O operations on backed up data.

Below is a screenshot of the synthetic full backup being made on a VM backup on ReFS which took only 58 seconds to process three incremental backups. Compare this to over 36 minutes for the same VM backed up to an NTFS volume!

https://www.veeam.com/blog/advanced-refs-integration-coming-veeam-availability-suite.html

Yea you can't install Windows on it and it's locked out of any Windows edition people at home would typically use, that is a big issue but hey at least it functions well.

Oh there is a feature I forgot to mention. I'll see in adding it on the main post with pictures tonight or the week-end.

But now connecting Bluetooth devices will be easier. No you no longer would need to go to the Settings panel all the way through Bluetooth settings, and pick add a device. You just make your device discoverable, and Windows 10 will pick it up, and pop-up a panel asking you if you want to add the device to the system.

On 11/04/2018 at 12:51 AM, Bcat00 said:

The two Gpu allocation update is very interesting for me.

i run 3 monitors and the extra pixel for the two extra 4k panels do eat into my frames when gaming despite not using them.

maybe I can use my old 760gtx for the other 2 when it comes out?

Have they stated if using the integrated graphics of the cpu for other screens would be possible? Or is it restricted to dual dGPU setups?

In the first case that'd be doubly nice as it doesn't require an old gpu, and frankly those igpu are more than enough for desktop use, even at 4k.

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

Have they stated if using the integrated graphics of the cpu for other screens would be possible? Or is it restricted to dual dGPU setups?

In the first case that'd be doubly nice as it doesn't require an old gpu, and frankly those igpu are more than enough for desktop use, even at 4k.

I don't have dual graphics to test, but on the screenshot I posted (from Microsoft, as I only have 1GPU to show), it shows Intel integrated graphics and a Radeon graphics card.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't have dual graphics to test, but on the screenshot I posted (from Microsoft, as I only have 1GPU to show), it shows Intel integrated graphics and a Radeon graphics card.

I'll keep you updated when I'll have the update then :) it shouldn't change much, but hey an extra free frame per sec or two is still nice! Should help not having useless context changes on the gpu and no wasted vram on the dgpu for those who may be at the limit vram wise.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Have you actually used ReFS though? Function wise it's very good with some extremely good smarts in it and ability for 3rd party applications to tie in to it for enabling advanced functions for the application, like Veeam.

Yea you can't install Windows on it and it's locked out of any Windows edition people at home would typically use, that is a big issue but hey at least it functions well.

Oh, don't get me wrong. When I said it was halfassed I didn't mean it was bad (although I am not super impressed either when you compare it to ZFS or Btrfs for storage servers).

What I meant was that ReFS is their only attempt at a new file system, but it's not even a replacement for NTFS (which is what actually needs to be replaced), and then Microsoft doesn't even support it properly (limiting it to Windows server and the workstation SKU). I don't even get why they would limit support for it. What does Microsoft stand to gain from limiting the number of devices that can use their file system?

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft announces that the official name of the Windows 10 update will be called: Windows 10 April Update.

I was hoping they'll do Apple style naming schemes but instead of places of interest in California like Yosemite National Park and Sierra County, maybe Microsoft would consider names from places of interest in Washington state like Olympic or Space Needle. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

when you compare it to ZFS or Btrfs for storage servers

I dunno I'd rate it a lot better than BTRFS and there are a lot of things I don't like about ZFS as well, namely how inflexible it is (mostly in regards to not being able to expand vdevs).

ReFS is only trying to be a file system too, you have to combine Storage Spaces + ReFS to compare it against ZFS. Without getting in to a needless technical discussion both are great, personally I'd use the latest Windows Server build and SS+ReFS but I've been using it since TP so am very accustomed to using it and tracking it's improvements, wouldn't complain if I had to use either of them.

I'm more interested in things like Ceph now though, massively parallel multi protocol storage gets me exited :) 

Just give me the option to disable or enable whatever I want please. With out jumping through loopholes.