Is 7200MT/s RAM worth it?

Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
9 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

will there be any noticeable difference at all swapping from DDR5-6000-CL30 to DDR5-7200-CL34

Yeah, not being able to boot in 1:1 and ruining performance. If you're asking this question, you will not benefit from anything over 6000CL30 (most of us won't) unless you just like playing with RAM for the sake of playing with RAM. Real world and stability, you're already where you need to be.

If not on the 7600X, I also plan on upgrading to either the 9800X3D or the 9950X3D in 2-3 years.

We have no idea faster memory will be handled in stock settings but we *do* know your existing kit will work fine.

I have 6000CL30 and have absolutely zero complaints, especially now that its tweaked. 

You're not missing anything.

Right now I have 32gb of DDR5-6000-CL30 paired with my Ryzen 5 7600X. But I just realized that would have been 3000MT/s in DDR4. Meanwhile, 7200MT/s would have been 3600 MT/s in DDR4. So I am asking, will there be any noticeable difference at all swapping from DDR5-6000-CL30 to DDR5-7200-CL34? If not on the 7600X, I also plan on upgrading to either the 9800X3D or the 9950X3D in 2-3 years.

will there be any noticeable difference at all swapping from DDR5-6000-CL30 to DDR5-7200-CL34

Yeah, not being able to boot in 1:1 and ruining performance. If you're asking this question, you will not benefit from anything over 6000CL30 (most of us won't) unless you just like playing with RAM for the sake of playing with RAM. Real world and stability, you're already where you need to be.

If not on the 7600X, I also plan on upgrading to either the 9800X3D or the 9950X3D in 2-3 years.

We have no idea faster memory will be handled in stock settings but we *do* know your existing kit will work fine.

I have 6000CL30 and have absolutely zero complaints, especially now that its tweaked. 

You're not missing anything.

Not worth. Most likely you'll even lose performance.

Also good fucking luck getting it to run at 7200mhz at non crap timings on current ryzen whilst not being slower than what you have.

Basically dont sorry about it and keep waht you have now.

Alrighty, that's what I thought, that 6000-CL30 was plenty fast. But before this, I thought 7200MT/s was fast asf and now I realize it's just the 3600 of DDR5. Idk how it didn't already come to mind.

Will my current RAM (32gb 6000MT/s & CL30-36-36-76) be good enough for the whole time I'm hoping to keep my PC? (6-8 years) (for context, I built it a little over 5 weeks ago)

4 hours ago, hanouzz said:

Alrighty, that's what I thought, that 6000-CL30 was plenty fast. But before this, I thought 7200MT/s was fast asf and now I realize it's just the 3600 of DDR5. Idk how it didn't already come to mind.

Its not just that its plenty fast, what we were trying to get across is you simply can't just buy 7200 RAM and expect it to work without issues. Zen4 has some pretty big hurdles to overcome and you need some RAM tuning expertise to even get the system booted above say 6400 in most cases. THis isn't recommended by AMD and certainly not by us helping out someone who isn't tweaking RAM for fun.

4 hours ago, hanouzz said:

Will my current RAM (32gb 6000MT/s & CL30-36-36-76) be good enough for the whole time I'm hoping to keep my PC? (6-8 years) (for context, I built it a little over 5 weeks ago)

Sure. If later this year or next you buy a 9800x3D and we learn Zen5 works fine with faster RAM out of the box, maybe you can swap out then. Or not, what you have will still work just fine. x3D parts historically simply don't need the fastest RAM anyway to achieve the performance they do.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:03 PM, GuiltySpark_ said:

Its not just that its plenty fast, what we were trying to get across is you simply can't just buy 7200 RAM and expect it to work without issues. Zen4 has some pretty big hurdles to overcome and you need some RAM tuning expertise to even get the system booted above say 6400 in most cases. THis isn't recommended by AMD and certainly not by us helping out someone who isn't tweaking RAM for fun.

Sure. If later this year or next you buy a 9800x3D and we learn Zen5 works fine with faster RAM out of the box, maybe you can swap out then. Or not, what you have will still work just fine. x3D parts historically simply don't need the fastest RAM anyway to achieve the performance they do.

Alrighty, that's great. I'm not honestly expecting Zen 5 to work with faster RAM but if it does I *might.* Keyword there