My dad is not convinced im not ready for a computer... How do I convince him?

A dil Pickle

I have been saving for about 2 years and have 1,080 bucks. now, my dad DOES NOT want me building a pc till NEXT year SUMMER. So I've been considering online system builders. One problem though, he thinks that the teach will be outdated by next year (which I'm  fine with) (going with ryzen in hopes that the 2700x will support the same motherboard) And with Gpu prices finally falling, right now is the perfect time to buy.  The question is, how do I convince my dad?

what does he consider "outdated"? computers built to high specification 5 years ago are still very capable computers.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Ask forgiveness not permission... (don't actually do that)

Has he explained why you should wait?

whatever you buy next year will be outdated the year after that, whats the point

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Change the heading, I beleve your trying to say "My dad is convinced im not ready for a computer, How do i convince him otherwise?"

I cant say im with u tbh, your dad may be correct in his opinion on waiting.

GPU prices and RAM are still high, so it would likely be better to wait tbh.

Falling prices and another years savings would get you a better rig if you did wait, that and we're nearing the end of a tech cycle with regards to GPU's, better to wait for next gen imo.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 minutes ago, A dil Pickle said:

I have been saving for about 2 years and have 1,080 bucks. now, my dad DOES NOT want me building a pc till NEXT year SUMMER. So I've been considering online system builders. One problem though, he thinks that the teach will be outdated by next year (which I'm  fine with) (going with ryzen in hopes that the 2700x will support the same motherboard) And with Gpu prices finally falling, right now is the perfect time to buy.  The question is, how do I convince my dad?

A couple questions.

1. Why doesn't he want you building now?
  2. What is his idea of outdated? As mentioned above, tech from the last 5 years is still pretty capable.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 hours ago, A dil Pickle said:

That’s a frikin good thing, what are you worried about! Save up some more money so that when next summer comes, you got around $2100 (how much you get paid). You’ll be able to build a high-end build.

10 hours ago, Ross Scarlet said:

What is his problem thats your money.

It depends on how ready the parents are to leave their kids on their own.

5 minutes ago, A dil Pickle said:

Technically anything you buy right now is practically outdated the moment it leaves the stores. This is life and how it works. So you waiting till next year won't make that tech anymore future proof.. it will still be outdated the moment it leaves the store.

How old are you? Your age could be a factor here. Some prices like GPU and RAM are still currently inflated so maybe he is wanting you to get a better bang for your buck, but there is no guarantee of that in a year either.

Bottom line is this. Your parents are you parents. If he doesn't think you need to build a pc for another year, then respect his wishes. If you can make a well enough argument to support why you should then he might change his mind, but in the end don't try to circumvent his wishes.

7 minutes ago, A dil Pickle said:

If you do a higher end build, the only thing you need to change out for the next 5 years will be the graphics cards and possibly ram depending on how much you get initially.  So save up more and get a good high end motherboard and CPU is your best way to keep a system for 5 years.

6 minutes ago, Ross Scarlet said:

What is his problem thats your money.

This is also false. As a miner you are technically not able to own something yourself.. as you are not able to enter into any type of binding contract. So all of his possessions INCLUDING money is the property of his parents.

Do what I did, just do it. Bad advice when you get yelled at though.

The geek himself.

All computer hardware gets taken over by the newest and the best thing really quick. When my parents asked about when the computer would be outdated I said that it would not be the newest and best after a couple months but it would still be a very good computer that would last a couple of years since I feel like hardware nowadays has more "future proofing". If you mean online system builder as in people actually assembling the PC for you, I don't think that a good idea. I think you should try to show your dad that you are into this and this is what you like doing (I actually have no idea if you do or don't) and also amaze him with you assembling a PC yourself. I feel like that would show more responsibility and give him more of an incentive to say yes.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

If you earned the money yourself, you should build.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

5 minutes ago, Deon7Dust said:

If you earned the money yourself, you should build.

Terrible advice. Going off the post it appears the OP is still underage, so in that scenario what his parents say is the LAW. Also as a miner that money is still technically the property of your parents.

OP should try to make a thorough and mature argument for why he should do this with his parents and if they still say no then he should just respect that and wait.

To answer the question:

How old are you?

Your phraseology leads me to suspect you're not very old. The question you pose in the headline actually says your dad wants you to have a PC, but you want to convince him otherwise; your use of a double negative, two "not"s! So I suspect you're not very old at all, (unless your first language isn't English, in which case I apologise).

To spend $1,000+ behind your parents back, against their explicit wishes, might well ruin a lot of trust between you & them, so think carefully... Will they start to manage your money for you, as you then can't be trusted? Will they trust you to have 100% unsupervised access to the computer after you purchase it? After all, you will have broken the trust between you...

Also, your dad is right when you say:

"he thinks that the teach will be outdated by next year"

It will be. But so will next years tech be outdated the following year. Its the nature of tech! But, you're wrong about GPU pricing!

GPU's are decreasing in price, but only from unreasonably massive highs, but they are still way way too expensive. As is DDR4...

But if you're as young as I suspect, take the advice of your dad. Your relationship will be stronger in the longer term. Going behind his back is a one-way ticket to a world of massive arguments and a huge loss of trust!

Maybe, try this instead:

Tell your dad you will abide by his wishes. Tell him you disagree and why, but you will respect his wishes as your parent(s). But maybe, suggest that if you are going to have to wait, he can sweeten the pill next year by putting some extra money to the build. Even $50 for a game or maybe $100 or so for a bigger SSD/M.2?

20 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

This is also false. As a miner you are technically not able to own something yourself..

As a miner, you can own anything you want, including thousands of GPUs.

As a minor, on the other hand... :P 

Personally I think a minor that's capable of saving close to $2000 is capable of deciding what, and when, they buy. Assuming the purchased item is legal of course.

Well we don't know your dad and we don't know how old you are so it'll be tough to help you out.  I suppose if the biggest argument against buying now is tech becoming obsolete just find benchmarks of slightly older hardware still working fine and show it too him.

I'm still rocking my i5 4670k and I don't feel the need replace it anytime soon.

Send him to this thread to explain why he doesn't want you to build a computer now...it's hard to convince someone if we don't know why.

Seriously ask him why? When my kids wanted to build a computer and I told them no it was because I was planning on helping them out with both the cost and doing the build in a couple of months (for each kids birthday around 13 or 14 depending on the child). So I didn't want them to spoil the surprise or buy a cheapo system when I was planning on adding enough to their budget to let them get a higher end set of parts. Then working together to build and test the machine.  So when my son pushed about why, I told him flat out why and we spent the next three months picking parts and working out the details of what he wanted. While my youngest daughter was not interested in anything except a basic "will it play Master of Orion and Diablo II" machine.

3 hours ago, A dil Pickle said:

gh

Maybe this is just symantics but the title would suggest you are ready for a pc.

"not convinced your not ready"

its a double negative which makes it a positive

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

A couple questions.

1. Why doesn't he want you building now?
  2. What is his idea of outdated? As mentioned above, tech from the last 5 years is still pretty capable.

In reference to #2, it doesn't matter when you build a computer. The tech will be older the a year later regardless.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Just buy a prebuilt online and deal with the shitstorm afterwards 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

1 minute ago, noobadin said:

Just buy a prebuilt online and deal with the shitstorm afterwards 

no most of them have so many issues. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

For those suggesting he just build the PC anyways, this is terrible advice. @A dil Pickle Your dad may be right. The current GPUs are nearly two years old, and RAM prices are still high. It would be better off if you waited. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM