My dad is not convinced im not ready for a computer... How do I convince him?

A dil Pickle

You sound quite young.  It's scary to think that young kids get on forums these days... I guess it's unavoidable.

If you still live under your dad's roof then you need to listen to him, whining will only cement his argument that much further.  

4 hours ago, A dil Pickle said:

And with Gpu prices finally falling

GPU prices have not fallen yet....

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

i would agree with him to some extent i would recommend waiting for the next set of gpus to be released and buying a second hand passcal gpu then so that you get the lowest prices. 

I'm 16 years old ok? I'm not that young just a little underprepared. :D

But thanks for the advice! I'll just listen to my dad!

No, nows not a perfect time. Not by a longshot

Listen to your dad

5 hours ago, Velcade said:

You sound quite young.  It's scary to think that young kids get on forums these days... I guess it's unavoidable.

If you still live under your dad's roof then you need to listen to him, whining will only cement his argument that much further.  

GPU prices have not fallen yet....

Obviously you haven't been using forums very long, or you're just oblivious. Most forums are basically run by teenagers, and always have been. When I was 15, I was a regular one at least 5 forums.

About GPU prices falling, it's possible that it will never actually happen. The rumor is that NVIDIA is pricing their next lineup to match current prices.  People have also been saying SSD and RAM prices "will fall soon" for two years now. Instead they've continued to increase slowly. A 240GB SSD is now double what it was a few years ago, and RAM prices are very close to it. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

You can buy oem pc's for quite cheap. If you look at newegg.com you can buy a 4th gen intel for $200. If you picked bottles for a few hours everyday you could get that kind of coin in no time.

Well built balanced Computers don't depreciate that badly.

My i7 3770k + R9 290 PC from 2014 is still a kick ass gaming PC today. Not even close to being outdated.

A lot of people will blindly repeat Linus's mantra that there is no such thing as future proof but the reality is far more grey. 'future proof' may be the wrong word but your gaming PC can give you years and years of silky smooth gaming fun with great image quality.

if you dont want to listen to your parents, then save up and move out. until then, you're outta luck

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

14 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Change the heading, I beleve your trying to say "My dad is convinced im not ready for a computer, How do i convince him otherwise?"

I second this; currently you're asking how to convince him that you're not ready

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 hours ago, A dil Pickle said:

I'm 16 years old ok? I'm not that young just a little underprepared. :D

But thanks for the advice! I'll just listen to my dad!

That's a good idea, see the only thing I didn't buy in the first iteration of my first build was the CPU.

My second build stemmed from money that going to go for a dog and a bit of money I had loaned my mom but I wasn't entirely sure I wanted another dog, and my last check with paid time off paid out

I got a somewhere over $300 from like a short work week and quite a few hours of paid time off, I was paid weekly.

I managed to have this money when Micro-Center was doing a sale on the Ryzen 7 1700 that made it $236 after tax
I got my 470 in March of last year, before the GPU market was molested by miners. it too was on sale, $182. Don't remember the retail price at the time but it was a bit over $200

So no, right now is not a great time to buy major PC parts like DDR4 and GPUs.

Im hoping by the end of this year prices will normalize. But waiting until after Ampere and Turing launch and maybe Navi is AMD can push that out this year without rushing it too much would be better than getting Vega, RX 580 or Pascal. You can also spend more time saving more money to get more and higher quality parts.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

my i7 870 PC lasted me for 7-ish years. didn't even die. it'd still boot today, just that I don't have a use for it currently

going by that, I could tolerate a new "high" end PC today for 20 years. maybe this time it'll die first

my point being (like you said) tech being a year old is not the end of it. you gotta learn to stop the gear acquisition syndrome after buying a new PC though. that's what usually gets people wanting to buy a PC every year

Intel slouched for a lot of those 7 years, it got really bad in the last 4 years or so.

AMD's done it's job pretty well of disrupting Intel's incrementalism.

But frankly Coffeelake was a kneejerk. Take Kaby Lake and put more cores on it and make a new chipset with the same socket but don't allow it to be backwards compatible with Z270 or Z170 boards, like I understand Z170 and Z270 were developed well before Coffeelake was but the fact that it can use the same socket is lame.

AMD promises AM4 support to 2020, so We'll see a couple more revisions that'll most probably support B350, X370, etc.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Well if you want a new(er) pc then you will need a lot more then $200, you will need more like double or triple that. You can still make that money quite easily if you know how to hustle.

I'm gonna go with in this case your dad's probably right. Building right now is a horrible idea. The graphics cards of today are runing on 2 year old tech at this point, Ryzen 2 isn't out yet so you'd be buying into 6 cores in a world where 8 cores will be the standard for new systems in 8 months or 8 cores that are too slow for high refresh rate gaming, RAM prices are still awful, and GPU prices are awful too. Wait. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

first off, get a Swedish multi-tool, once you have gotten that you will become a navy seal and grow a beard and mustache...

once this has been done, your dad will hand you a beer... then you ask him the question....

you: dad...

dad: yes my mustached son?

you: can i get a gaming computer

dad: yes son for you have made me proud buying that multi-tool and turning into a navy seal with a beard and mustache!

you: thanks dad!

dad:

tenor.gif

Edited by Salv8 (sam)
fixed up some manly shit....

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Yeah but if he makes his own money, what can his daddy say?

I have seen early teens play at train transit stops. They got a good work ethic. I would be the first one into the station, and no ones around and I can hear them playing from around the bend where they cant see me and I cant see them.

Work Ethic is everything in life. But balance is the key to life.

15 hours ago, CyberFern0 said:

It depends on how ready the parents are to leave their kids on their own.

He isn't leaving the family household as far as I know. He is just wanting to build a computer and use it for whatever he wants. When my brother was 15 (now 19), he asked my Dad to buy a computer for him. My Dad agreed but said he will only pay half for it ($400 usd). My brother eventually saved up and purchased the computer, which was a prebuilt. It had an FX8350 with a HD7730 and 8gb (or 16) of RAM. A prebuilt PC pretty much.

If it's his money, his Dad should let him do whatever he wants. If he's been saving, then he can go spending.

hi.

As some other people have said in this thread, building computers at this point of time is a horrible idea.

RAM and GPU prices are insane, so waiting till next year might be a good idea, with the launch of newer Intel processors, which will bring down the prices of older generations, and RAM supplies either equal out or mobile manufacturers find their own way of making RAM.

Wait till next year, and you will not only have more money, you will have all the parts for cheaper, and with the launch of Ryzen 2, oh boy, its gonna be big.

If you want, build this year, pay an extra $400 for normal parts. Or wait and save up more than $400 for next year.

Just sayin'

hi.

15 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

This is also false. As a miner you are technically not able to own something yourself.. as you are not able to enter into any type of binding contract. So all of his possessions INCLUDING money is the property of his parents.

15 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Umm, listen to your dad, sweetie. He's the one calling the shots until you're 18.

In my countrys laws these is false.

13 years old owns the stuff given to them or they have earned themselves. The money can only be used on the child, buy the child isn't in total control over it, parents can disallow the child buying something but can not take it for themselves no matter what. 

Whenthe child is 15, the child is in full control of his own money and the stuff the child buy with it. Parents can't stop it directly. Parents can probably say to the child that if they do buy something, they won't get some other thing they usually get from the parents I think. (I don't think that counts as blackmailing)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

42 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Parents can't stop it directly.

Putting them up for adoption is always an option, and do you think a 13 year old is going to take his parents to court to get "his" stuff back?

As a dad with teenage sons you want to teach them how to save and spend wisely.  I suggest we don't have quite all the information here, but I suggest his dad just wants to make sure he gets the most bang for his buck and a kick arse system with as little compromise as possible.  That would from  my understanding mean waiting until next year and having just little bit more money. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, tj_420 said:

If it's his money, his Dad should let him do whatever he wants. If he's been saving, then he can go spending.

I think what their dad wants them to do is learn when it is appropriate to spend and when to hold back on purchases, which is a vital skill required in the future.

From what it sounds like, OP is about to splash out all the money they have on a computer which is fine as they are not paying bills, food or a roof over their head right now. However, it is still a good idea to getting into a habit in always having a little bit of money left over after making a large purchase (either by reducing the budget or saving for a little longer) so when they are paying bills/food (ect.) in the future, they're not living paycheck to paycheck/frugally for a period of time as they rebuild a savings and has a sum to fallback onto for whatever the reason.  

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 4/6/2018 at 11:34 AM, A dil Pickle said:

I have been saving for about 2 years and have 1,080 bucks. now, my dad DOES NOT want me building a pc till NEXT year SUMMER. So I've been considering online system builders. One problem though, he thinks that the teach will be outdated by next year (which I'm  fine with) (going with ryzen in hopes that the 2700x will support the same motherboard) And with Gpu prices finally falling, right now is the perfect time to buy.  The question is, how do I convince my dad?

Now is not the perfect time to buy. Wait for the Black Fridays at least. 

Ram prices is 40% higher than msrp. Gpu prices is stil 50% higher than msrp. 

It it is not a good time to buy. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

As a dad with teenage sons you want to teach them how to save and spend wisely.  I suggest we don't have quite all the information here, but I suggest his dad just wants to make sure he gets the most bang for his buck and a kick arse system with as little compromise as possible.  That would from  my understanding mean waiting until next year and having just little bit more money. 

EXACTLY!!!

Is the <$1100 supposed to cover PC, peripherals, AND an monitor? If so, I'm with your dad on this one. Unless you need the PC for some school work (doubt it since you're posting here) I'd say way a few more months to join the PC Master Race xD

What you need to sit down and think about is, what do I need this for? Gaming? Work? Am I the next famous twitch streamer or E-sports champion? Then decide on what's important in your build. You'll realise that if you account for the peripheral and the screen you wouldn't be left with much money to work with. Save up my friend

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...