My dad is not convinced im not ready for a computer... How do I convince him?

A dil Pickle

like many have said, not is a very bad time to build a pc. If you wait, you will be able to make a MUCH more capable machine for a lot less than what we have to deal with now with current pricing

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Honestly I would wait till black friday.

There Will Be Amazing AMD CPU/MOBO / GPU bundle deals and Nvidia's now gen cards will have been out since July so the supply will have hopefully settled and Or 10 series cards will be really cheap to pick up used. 

I believe you dont need what you want, and a compromise is buying the $200 pc from Newegg, 4th gen intel. It will get you to where your dad wants you to go.

Unless you plan on swinging a hammer or turning a wrench, tech literacy starting early is a valuable thing. I never went to school but still managed to land a sys admin career @ 30 by starting @ entry level. No student loans.

Is there any catastrophic reason as to why you cannot wait til summer? If you're not concerned about outdated products then waiting is logical, as you'll save some money which you might be able to put towards a better component. Technology is a vital part of the world, but so is patience, it seems to be a valuable part of life too many people are forgoing.

Heck, why don't you and Dad work together and build the PC as Father & daughter or son. 

On 4/6/2018 at 12:34 PM, A dil Pickle said:

I have been saving for about 2 years and have 1,080 bucks. now, my dad DOES NOT want me building a pc till NEXT year SUMMER. So I've been considering online system builders. One problem though, he thinks that the teach will be outdated by next year (which I'm  fine with) (going with ryzen in hopes that the 2700x will support the same motherboard) And with Gpu prices finally falling, right now is the perfect time to buy.  The question is, how do I convince my dad?

Maybe ask him if you can build it without the graphics card for now and wait for the next GPU generation release/for the prices to drop on those.

After all, if you get an Intel CPU or an AMD APU, you can still play games with it without a GPU while you're waiting and since games aren't really CPU dependent, a new CPU you bought now would last you quite some time.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:34 AM, A dil Pickle said:

I have been saving for about 2 years and have 1,080 bucks. now, my dad DOES NOT want me building a pc till NEXT year SUMMER. So I've been considering online system builders. One problem though, he thinks that the teach will be outdated by next year (which I'm  fine with) (going with ryzen in hopes that the 2700x will support the same motherboard) And with Gpu prices finally falling, right now is the perfect time to buy.  The question is, how do I convince my dad?

Personally, I would wait. The next generation of Graphics Cards from NVIDIA are coming out soon, and there are patches probably required on the existing hardware before it is finally ready. Wait it out. That is what I (15) am doing

@A dil Pickle my dad didnt want me to either but ill ofer a tip or two 1 sit dwn tell him you can upgrade and aslong as you buy a  balls to the walls pc that he cant even fathem and then tell him that you know theres a chance you could damage the parts but you can buy an esd wrist strap or do the hill billy way and totch the case

also im 15 so i know what its like

Not directly related to your question, but something that I don't see anyone mentioning is that it's probably a better idea to buy used, especially if you can compromise a bit. Granted, I don't have much time to play video games anymore (computer engineering student in Canada), but it's really remarkable how fast prices drop as far as computers go. I know the appeal of buying a brand new and shiny computer, but honestly I have gotten much better value from the gear that I've bought used than the new stuff. You need to do your homework a lot more, but most people don't really need the latest machine for anything in my opinion, especially if you mostly play games from a few years ago.

I'm with your pops on this one. GPU prices are still high, plus they're years old at this point. I'm waiting for a bit to build my next PC as well. That being said, if you could get a decent deal on used components, you might be golden.

yeah gpus are to high same with ram i dont know just wait then

I think you dad might want to right the pc off on tax that probably why he asking you to wait an till next year also it not a bad thing because Nvidia come out with a new chip set with there cards and it be interesting to compare and price might be better.   

On 6/4/2018 at 5:34 PM, A dil Pickle said:

with Gpu prices finally falling, right now is the perfect time to buy.

It REALLY isn't though - nvidia's next generation is pretty close and when that drops current cards will flood the used market at bargain prices. Your dad's right.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:34 PM, A dil Pickle said:

going with ryzen in hopes that the 2700x will support the same motherboard

Do you really want to buy a full system only to throw away your cpu within 6 months?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The way I did it when I was younger, was instead of asking if I could buy one, I told them I was buying one and got one. If they have any concerns about safety point out to them that you can't learn how to be safe without being able to put the principles into action like with school you can't be expected to be told how to pay a game and then never do it. If you can't convince them though don't feel too bad as the mining craze will of died down hopefully by then so you should be (in theory) able to get a better PC. And as long as you don't buy anything just not it should be fine (on another note to answer the question about the 2700x, AMD has stated it's supporting AM4 till 2020 (or about then, can't remember the exact year) that does not mean though it will be the same chipset for that entire time, so I suggest waiting until you are allowed to build then do buy everything, as the new chipsets might overclock better or have more features or something else or just better support for the new CPUs (it's hard to predict sometimes))

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more