Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Oh cmon. It's not hard to keep a small funnel in your car because changing fluids is a thing. That, and stand in front of the wind. -_-

I rarely need a funnel to pour anything into my engine. 

The guy was standing with his back against the wind but that did not seem to help

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The guy was standing with his back against the wind but that did not seem to help

This is why the funnel helps, you can put the opening of the bottle and pour without the wind fucking it up.

Yep the hood of the car would be an excellent wind breaker if he parked the opposite direction with the back of the car to the wind...

System: Thinkpad T460

Holy shit

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I am doing a 24 hour test drive on a Black 2015 Ford Focus ST3 right now.

Brought it to work this morning. It's a peppy little critter for sure. 

The black ST3 is ~$350 more than the Gray ST2, but it has the full leather Recaros instead of the partial leather, then heated seats and heated mirrors. The ST2 is gray, and has a moon roof. If the ST3 was not black I would love the crap out of it, I just dont know if I can live with a black car.

Google pic as photobucket is blocked at work. 

Colours-Focus-ST-Panther-Black.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Bahaha, oh boy.

Hey, again, not my money. I just want a nice MS6. She wants all out brand new.

What about... Tesla?

Edit: I mean, it will spank pretty much any other car in its price range. Has really good storage space. And has EIGHT years warranty, with unlimited miles.

The only downside as I see it is the limited range. And the fact that you need to charge it.

Actually, i haven't suggested it yet, but a P85D seems like a great option. But she drives mostly to school and such, so i don't think range is an issue.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Get the S4 sedan or the S5 coupe/convertible. If she seriously is okay with spending almost 80k she could legit buy an Audi S6...

Still waiting for this...

BMW-M4-Gran-Coupe.jpg

Well, i did actually suggest the S7 as well, since it's just a couple grand off. It's one nice looking car, seriously.

I assume that's an M3? i thought they stopped making M3s. :(

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

90* Driveshaft

6oqxdsr.gif

Genius!

Not sure what the drivetrain losses are like, though.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Genius!

Not sure what the drivetrain losses are like, though.

I'm more curious as to what you'd use it in though

Side engined go cart?

I'm more curious as to what you'd use it in though

Side engined go cart?

doesnt look too reliable imo... looks like it would be easy to break. But it is very interesting. 

Perhaps it could be used in place of a differential? I know it sounds ridiculous. lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

doesnt look too reliable imo... looks like it would be easy to break. But it is very interesting. 

Perhaps it could be used in place of a differential? I know it sounds ridiculous. lol

I'm having trouble figuring out how to make the third axle work.

The more i look at it the more i'm convinced that its only application would be as a wierd japanese masturbatory aid...

Hello People that know a lot about cars,

for me cars are like a pc is for my mom, I have no clue. So my first idea was to lease one, but the German Talkers convinced me to buy a used one. I live in Germany and the car should cost around +/- 4000 Euros.

I kind of like this design, it is not too round. It would be really nice of you if you could give me some additional information on what car would be good.

Wuwnf1y.png

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Turns out, she wants to spend 30-80K on a first car. Crazy, but hey, it's not my car.

Charger Hellcat.  :lol:

She can get a Volvo XC90 R-Design T8. It might look like a boring vehicle, but it is excellent for a new driver (top-notch safety features and good visibility). Besides, the improved visibility from a higher vantage point makes planning ahead easier (and reduces the stress from uncertainty while driving).

A sporty car for a new driver can be a disaster. If she wants a sporty brand to impress her friends, she can look at the Macan or the Cayenne. 

Teens are higher-risk drivers. If I was a parent financing the purchase, I'd definitely steer my child towards safer choices.

for me cars are like a pc is for my mom, I have no clue. So my first idea was to lease one, but the German Talkers convinced me to buy a used one. I live in Germany and the car should cost around +/- 4000 Euros.

I kind of like this design, it is not too round. It would be really nice of you if you could give me some additional information on what car would be good.

Wuwnf1y.png

I don't know if you have any preferences, but have some examples. I chose LPG because it is much cheaper than the others (at least here in Portugal)

http://m.autoscout24.de/angebote/bmw-523-i-orginal-m-sportpaket-vollausstattung-autogas-lpg-gr%C3%BCn-274403141

http://m.autoscout24.de/angebote/bmw-318-i-lpg-voll-naviklimatempomxenonpdcregensensor-autogas-lpg-schwarz-274218592

http://m.autoscout24.de/angebote/mitsubishi-galant-25-v6-elegance-autogas-lpg-silber-269182619

http://m.autoscout24.de/angebote/opel-astra-h-16-lpg-fl%C3%BCssiggas-autogas-lpg-grau-258934955

http://m.autoscout24.de/angebote/bmw-316-i-autogas-lpg-blau-271883191

http://m.autoscout24.de/angebote/peugeot-207-95-vti-sport-gasanlage-standheizung-klimaaut-autogas-lpg-blau-270687129

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I am assuming that your mom is not into fixing cars. If that is the case:

1. Look for something fairly recent that will fit in the budget, preferably 10 years old or newer (new car warranties only go up to 10 years for a reason).

2. Do not shop by brand or model (any major brand/model should be okay, as long as the basic requirements are met).

3. Look away from vehicles that had over 150,000 km (most cars tend to get quite nasty past ~200,000 km).

4. Service records (if any) would be great to have (gives some sort of idea how the car was kept).

5. Inspect and test-drive the vehicle (watch out for anything abnormal).

6. Check if you can get a warranty from the dealer.

7. If buying from a private party, take a knowledgeable person with you.

Charger Hellcat.  :lol:

She can get a Volvo XC90 R-Design T8. It might look like a boring vehicle, but it is excellent for a new driver (top-notch safety features and good visibility). Besides, the improved visibility from a higher vantage point makes planning ahead easier (and reduces the stress from uncertainty while driving).

A sporty car for a new driver can be a disaster. If she wants a sporty brand to impress her friends, she can look at the Macan or the Cayenne. 

Teens are higher-risk drivers. If I was a parent financing the purchase, I'd definitely steer my child towards safer choices.

Actually i haven't considered Porsche at all.

Actually i haven't considered Porsche at all.

Porsches are reliable and hold their value pretty well. The Cayenne Diesel delivers very strong residuals, if she wants to trade the vehicle in for a new one after a few years.

Porsches are reliable and hold their value pretty well. The Cayenne Diesel delivers very strong residuals, if she wants to trade the vehicle in for a new one after a few years.

OK, turns out she doesn't like the Macan OR the Cayenne. Guess Porsche is out.

OK, turns out she doesn't like the Macan OR the Cayenne. Guess Porsche is out.

I bet she already wants something to begin with.

I bet she already wants something to begin with.

Really that's the problem, deciding what she wants. She wants something brand new, nice, has luxury in it, and has good performance. These were what I suggested we should choose from brand wise:

Lexus

BMW

Audi

Infiniti

Mercedes Benz

Tesla

More to come...

Hey, again, not my money. I just want a nice MS6. She wants all out brand new.

Nah, it's just that pretty much everyone I know with that kind of mindset is on the fast track to a cardboard box later in life.

Nah, it's just that pretty much everyone I know with that kind of mindset is on the fast track to a cardboard box later in life.

this. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yeah, i would buy one of those cars, when i have a good job and stable credit.