Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Well, really any Brit you run into is very nice. The British are usually very nice people.

which nationality isnt?

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Cue song "and it hits me like a rock"

ive seen all the episodes and i feel like hammond is the most geniune about his feelings.

It's not just the episodes, I think he is a very down to earth and charitable person. I think James is the most genuine on TV because he always says the weird stuff (like the tingly feeling :P) and he is genuinely sort of comedic and pedantic.

System: Thinkpad T460

which nationality isnt?

America.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

hopefully my sister's next car...

@Real_PhillBert  :ph34r:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

so a friend of mine of me is deciding on what car to get when she's 16. (beware, it's something expensive, think lexus, audi, bmw,etc). So i gave her a few choices (it's ok if they're expensive, she's rich-ish):

Audi S4

Audi A4 Avant

BMW 425i GranCoupe

Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Infiniti Q60 IPL Convertible

Mercedes E Class Convertible

Audi A4 Convertible

Mercedes CLA

BMW 328i

She wants something that can seat 4 at least comfortably, has a nice sized trunk, a good amount of HP, like above 260, for some performance, and overall something that fits her spunky lifestyle.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

so a friend of mine of me is deciding on what car to get when she's 16. (beware, it's something expensive, think lexus, audi, bmw,etc). So i gave her a few choices (it's ok if they're expensive, she's rich-ish):

Audi S4

Audi A4 Avant

BMW 425i GranCoupe

Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Audi A4 Convertible

Mercedes CLA

BMW 328i

She wants something that can seat 4 at least comfortably, has a nice sized trunk, a good amount of HP, like above 260, for some performance, and overall something that fits her spunky lifestyle.

I really like the styling of the 3 Series Touring. :D

Audi S4

Audi A4 Avant

BMW 425i GranCoupe

Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Audi A4 Convertible

Mercedes CLA

BMW 328i

2009-audi-s4-avant1.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think it will be a matter of insurance. A manual Legacy with the stock sound system is from $19k to $20k currently which is cheaper than the R36 (with the RCD510) but the stock exhaust system is so quiet so I would definitely need an exhaust which will bring up the actual cost to about 22k which is closer to the VW but still within a 1-2 grand difference. The stock exhaust system of the R36 is actually okay in terms of sound. Servicing will be cheaper for the VW in the long run. The Legacys have also been driven for longer than most of the Passats, some have a mileage difference of 50000kms!

Easiest way to do it is to flip a coin. You'll usually learn which you really want by doing that.

Cause gear oil smells like shit normally. 

Yeah, Subaru vs VW... I'd go with the subbie. Even if Subaru has issues they are pretty easy to work on and parts aren't too expensive. 

Yes but smelling gear oil is rare. Unless someone cracks open a diff to sniff it occationally

It makes working on the car more acceptable to the wife.

Fair enough

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

She likes the S4, it's just she's not crazy about wagons or hatchbacks really. She really does want a 2/4 door car/convertible.

When you end up behind a moped/a-tractor or learner going too slow and you have no opportunity to pass them

tumblr_n4ea7hj6hp1smnfl3o1_500.gif

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

When you end up behind a moped/a-tractor or learner going too slow and you have no opportunity to pass them

BAM. Problem solved.

Photo-PickupTruck-SnowPlow-001_250x333.j

BAM. Problem solved.

LAPD_SWAT_Rescue_vehicle_front.jpg

That happened to me. They did under 40kph in a 60kph zone. I generally don't pass learners unless they drive really slow or if I can tell that they are hesitant with their driving.

Audi S4

Audi A4 Avant

BMW 425i GranCoupe

Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Audi A4 Convertible

Mercedes CLA

BMW 328i

Turns out, she wants to spend 30-80K on a first car. Crazy, but hey, it's not my car.

Turns out, she wants to spend 30-80K on a first car. Crazy, but hey, it's not my car.

Bahaha, oh boy.

What about... Tesla?

Edit: I mean, it will spank pretty much any other car in its price range. Has really good storage space. And has EIGHT years warranty, with unlimited miles.

The only downside as I see it is the limited range. And the fact that you need to charge it.

She likes the S4, it's just she's not crazy about wagons or hatchbacks really. She really does want a 2/4 door car/convertible.

Oh you said nice trunk, I thought, WAGON WAGON WAGON :LOL:

BMW 425i GranCoupe

Yeah, wynaut

maxresdefault.jpg

Get the S4 sedan or the S5 coupe/convertible. If she seriously is okay with spending almost 80k she could legit buy an Audi S6...

Oh you said nice trunk, I thought, WAGON WAGON WAGON  :lol:

Yeah, wynaut

snip

Still waiting for this...

BMW-M4-Gran-Coupe.jpg

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Easiest way to do it is to flip a coin. You'll usually learn which you really want by doing that.

Yes but smelling gear oil is rare. Unless someone cracks open a diff to sniff it occationally

Fair enough

Not for me. I had to do wheel seals on a toyota yesterday. Didn't smell too bad. Usually the ones that haven't been serviced in 100k+ miles smell really awful. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Not for me. I had to do wheel seals on a toyota yesterday. Didn't smell too bad. Usually the ones that haven't been serviced in 100k+ miles smell really awful. 

I think we're mostly dealing with 100k mile vehicles in this thread  :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw a really sad thing today

It is a bit windy out and earlier today i pulled in to a gas station to feed vicky (My golf)

And i saw a guy trying desperately to get any washer fluid into the car he could. But the wind was blowing it absolutely everywhere.

After half a jug he gave up and got into his car and the indicators and headlamps started blinking like strobe lights. I guess the washer fluid must've pissed all over his engine bay electronics..

A for effort though

90* Driveshaft

6oqxdsr.gif

Saw a really sad thing today

It is a bit windy out and earlier today i pulled in to a gas station to feed vicky (My golf)

And i saw a guy trying desperately to get any washer fluid into the car he could. But the wind was blowing it absolutely everywhere.

After half a jug he gave up and got into his car and the indicators and headlamps started blinking like strobe lights. I guess the washer fluid must've pissed all over his engine bay electronics..

A for effort though

'cause funnels don't exist.

I think we're mostly dealing with 100k mile vehicles in this thread  :P

Still under 100k... for a short while. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

'cause funnels don't exist.

People very rarely bring funnels on regular drives.

And in that amount of wind a funnel wouldn't have helped xD

People very rarely bring funnels on regular drives.

And in that amount of wind a funnel wouldn't have helped xD

Oh cmon. It's not hard to keep a small funnel in your car because changing fluids is a thing. That, and stand in front of the wind. -_-