Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Yeah, i would buy one of those cars, when i have a good job and stable credit.

I would buy one of them when I know I have a stable future where income won't suddenly disappear and I've paid for everything else I need and then get a nice car. ;)

I would buy one of them when I know I have a stable future where income won't suddenly disappear and I've paid for everything else I need and then get a nice car. ;)

This. Exactly. But 30-40 years from now things will change. DRASTICALLY.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This. Exactly. But 30-40 years from now things will change. DRASTICALLY.

Yeah, she might not be able to afford even living in that car.

Yeah, she might not be able to afford even living in that car.

With the way inflation is going today, at this rate, 40 years later, if the Corolla would still exist, it might cost as much as 80 grand. i honestly hate inflation with a passion, but then again, who doesn't?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah, i would buy one of those cars, when i have a good job and stable credit.

I honestly dont think car notes are wise in any way, shape, or form unless you really put a ton of cash down. 

Especially these days when they are so... disposable

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So my dad's car died in a parking lot, took long to re-start,  and was surging today. No CEL or anything, not even a pending code. 

Then it occured to me that his fuel pump is more than 10 years old and has lasted the entire 204,500 miles his car has been through. It outlasted the engine itself. 

So we ordered another fuel pump, hopefully the current one stays alive long enough for it to come in (mid next week). Told him not to go on any long trips xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Well, i did actually suggest the S7 as well, since it's just a couple grand off. It's one nice looking car, seriously.

I assume that's an M3? i thought they stopped making M3s. :(

It's a photoshop of an M4 Gran Coupe

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

It's a photoshop of an M4 Gran Coupe

Oh, ok, yeah that would be nice to make an M4 GranCoupe.

So my dad's car died in a parking lot, took long to re-start,  and was surging today. No CEL or anything, not even a pending code. 

Then it occured to me that his fuel pump is more than 10 years old and has lasted the entire 204,500 miles his car has been through. It outlasted the engine itself. 

So we ordered another fuel pump, hopefully the current one stays alive long enough for it to come in (mid next week). Told him not to go on any long trips xD

Bah, fuel pump should still be good. :P

Really that's the problem, deciding what she wants. She wants something brand new, nice, has luxury in it, and has good performance. These were what I suggested we should choose from brand wise:

Lexus

BMW

Audi

Infiniti

Mercedes Benz

Tesla

More to come...

IS350 f sport or BMW M3 would be my choices. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Bah, fuel pump should still be good. :P

Honestly, our Protege's fuel pump can go for another 60K, and we haven't replaced it at all, and same goes with the clutch, engine, suspension, mostly everything save from the tires and the air intake are OEM.

IS350 f sport or BMW M3 would be my choices. 

Yeah, i saw an F-Sport in person and it's such a head turner. Can't stop looking back at it.

With the way inflation is going today, at this rate, 40 years later, if the Corolla would still exist, it might cost as much as 80 grand. i honestly hate inflation with a passion, but then again, who doesn't?

Inflation is a necessary evil in the capitalist world. It keeps people spending and the economy running. It's just a matter of keeping a lid on excessive amounts of it.

Honestly, our Protege's fuel pump can go for another 60K, and we haven't replaced it at all, and same goes with the clutch, engine, suspension, mostly everything save from the tires and the air intake are OEM.

I'm not sure when ours will go out on the Mustang since there's still no flow problems. Do need to check the filter though..

Inflation is a necessary evil in the capitalist world. It keeps people spending and the economy running. It's just a matter of keeping a lid on excessive amounts of it.

You can have a capitalist economy without inflation.

I'm not sure when ours will go out on the Mustang since there's still no flow problems. Do need to check the filter though..

You can have a capitalist economy without inflation.

The pump on our minivan went out at only 70K. I feel like we were just unlucky, because i haven't heard from anybody else about a failing fuel pump.

The pump on our minivan went out at only 70K. I feel like we were just unlucky, because i haven't heard from anybody else about a failing fuel pump.

Our Silverado's fuel pump went out after 200 miles. Twice.

:D

Our Silverado's fuel pump went out after 200 miles. Twice.

:D

Honestly that just proves that Americans don't look twice after building a car. Making sure parts like fuel pumps and brakes and stuff will last long. This is just pure ignorance.

Honestly that just proves that Americans don't look twice after building a car. Making sure parts like fuel pumps and brakes and stuff will last long. This is just pure ignorance.

Nah, that truck was cursed. The flywheel exploded. Several spark plugs went out. Seal leaks. Exhaust fell off. Wheel bearing went out quickly.

And it was just ours where all of this stuff went wrong in such little time. One of my dad's friends had the EXACT SAME Silverado with zero problems.

If its a ford or GM, likely its gonna need at least one fuel pump in its lifetime. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

If its a ford or GM, likely its gonna need at least one fuel pump in its lifetime. 

197k miles so far and still the original fuel pump. *shrug*

Nah, that truck was cursed. The flywheel exploded. Several spark plugs went out. Seal leaks. Exhaust fell off. Wheel bearing went out quickly.

And it was just ours where all of this stuff went wrong in such little time. One of my dad's friends had the EXACT SAME Silverado with zero problems.

Still never heard of all those problems on a Tundra :P

System: Thinkpad T460

I've never heard of another Silverado getting those problems either.

so i assume you're a tundra fan, huh?

I've seen a few old SBC eating flexplates. I blame it on people that don't put in the shim with a re-manufactured starter.

I've never heard of another Silverado getting those problems either.

I'm sure you're not the only one. And Toyota reliability in comparison to GM is, to me, not even a question.

System: Thinkpad T460