Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

So is it supposed to prevent lag or something while charging the battery for longer driving range?

It takes care of lag, and charges the battery using exhaust energy. The stored energy in the battery can be used to respool the turbo when needed, to drive accessories, or for locomotion/added output (when fitted on hybrid vehicles).

If the system can capture and convert enough energy from the exhaust, the engine-driven alternator would essentially be free-wheeling (thereby freeing up engine output).

If implemented properly, the turbine bypass valve (aka wastegate) and the compressor bypass valve (aka dump valve) would be barely utilized (or may be completely eliminated, depending on the design).

Current F1 engines can reach efficiency numbers beyond 40%, which is spectacular for race engines (especially ones that are spark-ignition). This number is comparable to a modern-day workhorse diesel (engines built for efficiency). Having hybrid drivetrains with regenerative braking also allow them to conserve a lot of energy as they slow down to turn and accelerate back to speed on each corner exit.

Current F1 cars get about 4 MPG (@US Gal) over the entire race (including pit stops for tire changes). That is awesome for a vehicle that is almost always flat out throughout the distance with lots of braking and steering. Sprint cup cars get about half that despite running similar levels of power (F1 ~900hp combined electric and petrol; Sprint ~725hp petrol).

It takes care of lag, and charges the battery using exhaust energy. The stored energy in the battery can be used to respool the turbo when needed, to drive accessories, or for locomotion/added output (when fitted on hybrid vehicles).

If the system can capture and convert enough energy from the exhaust, the engine-driven alternator would essentially be free-wheeling (thereby freeing up engine output).

If implemented properly, the turbine bypass valve (aka wastegate) and the compressor bypass valve (aka dump valve) would be barely utilized (or may be completely eliminated, depending on the design).

Current F1 engines can reach efficiency numbers beyond 40%, which is spectacular for race engines (especially ones that are spark-ignition). This number is comparable to a modern-day workhorse diesel (engines built for efficiency).

Could be pretty cool for this kind of technology to make its way to passenger cars.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Driving manual.. makes driving auto easier..

k, 'splain dat

Prob just the fact that driving auto is easier so if you drive manual.... it will be easier?

Could be pretty cool for this kind of technology to make its way to passenger cars.

It probably will make its way to cars in due time.  KERS might also make its way into some cars in the future. I know that Volvo has already done some testing on it.

Prob just the fact that driving auto is easier so if you drive manual.... it will be easier?

It's kinda hard to explain really, but if you drive manual first, you can practically drive anything.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It probably will make its way to cars in due time.  KERS might also make its way into some cars in the future. I know that Volvo has already done some testing on it.

I bet it will. I think it will start with exotics though, because of the current cost of the system.

A lot of refinement and cost-reduction would have to be done before it'd be suitable for mass market vehicles. Mass market vehicles might actually not need it at all, if the direction would be towards electric vehicles with range-extenders (unless they use it to continuously recover exhaust energy from the range extender for better charging).

I bet this one you will see sooner than you might think, because the manufacturer could run the engine like a Miller Cycle instead of an Otto Cycle like a normal engine. The advantage is that you can get rid of the throttle body and do all of the speed control with the CFM outflow from the turbo and the fuel injection system. This increases efficiency a bit and simplifies the engine system. 

The complications would be generating the electrical power to spin the turbo motor, and getting a turbo motor that is reliable in the environments that a turbocharger usually creates. 

Cool stuff. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I bet it will. I think it will start with exotics though, because of the current cost of the system.

A lot of refinement and cost-reduction would have to be done before it'd be suitable for mass market vehicles.

Probably. But I imagine that some normal cars will have a KERS option within the next couple of years.

The car that Volvo used as a mule, a S60 T5 which have just above 250hp gained another 80hp to the rear wheels managed to shave its 0-60mph time from 7.68 all the way down to 6.07 seconds. A massive leap. But it will be more useful in normal use when accelerating from a red light, where you can more or less get up to cruising speed within the time you have KERS. Or at least help to get up to that speed using much less fuel.

Not enough free time to catch up on the posts.

Waiting for first holidays.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I shared that I got my new car on IMGUR. I thought it was funny how there was this one guy who went and said

It's funny, because during icy conditions it's never about having more power. It's about having traction. The only time you really need more power is when you are trying to haul stuff.

Or if you want to go faster. Because GOTTA GO FAST.

That is the saddest comment i've read so far (imgur guy)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

68yYTh4.png

just leave this here..

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

That is the saddest comment i've read so far (imgur guy)

It's all about traction in snow/icy conditions. You can have a 70hp car with good tires drive past a 500hp one with bad ones.

Edit: This video proves that it's all about having a good set of tires.

It's all about traction in snow/icy conditions. You can have a 70hp car with good tires drive past a 500hp one with bad ones.

Yes i know. Its just sad that the guy was under that impression

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

It really does come down to the tires. I was leaving Reno Nevada from vacation, and we were driving in the mountains, when all of a sudden,  it started to hail, VERY BADLY. We had to pull off the freeway, and pull over to let cars pass. After about 10 minutes, we set off again, but the ground had slush, and we were practically stuck. Summer tires and FWD didn't really help. Actually more like it didn't help AT ALL.

7M power

It really does come down to the tires. I was leaving Reno Nevada from vacation, and we were driving in the mountains, when all of a sudden,  it started to hail, VERY BADLY. We had to pull off the freeway, and pull over to let cars pass. After about 10 minutes, we set off again, but the ground had slush, and we were practically stuck. Summer tires and FWD didn't really help. Actually more like it didn't help AT ALL.

Get decent all-season tires next time. I know Cali weather is generally great (except on the Sierra Nevada), but it might help if you're driving across state lines.

All-Season tires provide more consistent performance across a wide temperature range (and will tolerate ice/snow/hail better). Below 7 degrees Celsius (45 degrees Fahrenheit), All Season tires generally outperform Summer tires even on a clean surface.

wintertires.gif

My cars are fitted with good rubber (I traded in the new factory tires immediately upon purchasing the cars). They grip very well on dry, rain and hail. FWD works just fine for them.

My SUV comes with marginal tires off the factory (Yokohama G902 - Traction: B, Temperature: B ), and I didn't mind to change them. It gets off from slick conditions quite well (thanks to Super Select 4WD), but it slides easily on some surfaces when cornering or braking (you can feel ASTC and ABS intervening when you turn hard or brake hard).

I lurk on this thread when I'm bored lol

Me too...

Don't post nearly as much as I used to. It's fun just to lurk.

Over 1k post just on this thread lol

System: Thinkpad T460

For terrytek

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

guys you dont need a rat rod to fuc your spine up! (my father and i just came back from driving norway end to end in a willys jeep (1943 army jeep) aaaaand my back is brutally murdering me)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

guys you dont need a rat rod to fuc your spine up! (my father and i just came back from driving norway end to end in a willys jeep (1943 army jeep) aaaaand my back is brutally murdering me)

Aside from the terrible ride, they have seats as ergonomic as electric chairs. :P

Which would make them more robust. Win win

Not entirely. The frames aren't going to like the added stresses of box weight and hydraulics weight, suspension will add weight and everything introduces more points of failure too. You'd just be better off buying a cab-only commercial truck (with the fixed frame width for compatibility) instead of trying to strength a pickup.

You know what's even better? Flying through a forest over bumpy terrain in one of those.

You know what's even better? Flying through a forest over bumpy terrain in one of those.

idk about that... sitting on a utility rack on a quad bike is pretty terrible. (that one friend that told me to ride as passenger behind him -_-)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Me too...

Don't post nearly as much as I used to. It's fun just to lurk.

Over 1k post just on this thread lol

If off topic counted, i would already have 11K at this point.

For terrytek

Dude, like already 6 people before you recommended the video already :P

idk about that... sitting on a utility rack on a quad bike is pretty terrible. (that one friend that told me to ride as passenger behind him -_-)

Oh but it's awesome. Open top? No suspension? Your back ACTS like the suspension. :D

Oh but it's awesome. Open top? No suspension? Your back ACTS like the suspension. :D

oh i didnt realize they didnt have suspension lol.. thats terrible

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1