Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

15 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

They found a way to make flywheels wear out

his car has like.. a lot of miles on it though. So his is fine lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

his car has like.. a lot of miles on it though. So his is fine lol

yep, 226k and still going strong!

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

lot of cars have dual mass flywheels now haha, I bet it is. Manual trans in "easy mode" xD

DMFs in cars suck :(

Had the clutch done in my car and felt that the clutch was slipping but I couldn't place it. Few thousand miles later and the slipping is more pronounced and it feels like I'm moving heaven and earth when I change gear. Probably gonna swap it out for a different clutch and flywheel setup.

Would y'all know how tuning can affect startup time? My Legacy GT takes awhile to start and it's totally fine to start when it's been warmed up a little bit (say I turn the car off when filling it with gas) but in the morning it's very hard to start most of the time. Would the failing dual mass flywheel cause the hard starting? 

I ask about the tuning because I recently replaced a bunch of sensors and the car definitely needs to be tuned again.

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Well all these places I'm looking at say they do "transmission rebuilds" but every time I mention 2016 ford focus they get timid. ?

finding a transmission builder is even harder than finding an engine builder... I don't envy your search...

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

I'm still torn on traction control... on the one hand its awesome, on the other it takes away from the driving experience...

it sounds amazing tho... and I'm super jealous about that ABS system

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

21 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

In other news I was browsing copart for some clean title cars and found this is Renault Logan for sale in Florida... 

a. How did this thing get here

b. can it even be registered??? lol 

https://www.copart.com/lot/24463009 

probably a mexico spec car probably. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 hours ago, warmmilk said:

finding a transmission builder is even harder than finding an engine builder... I don't envy your search...

I'm still torn on traction control... on the one hand its awesome, on the other it takes away from the driving experience...

it sounds amazing tho... and I'm super jealous about that ABS system

Its all cheatinggggggggggg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

More of an issue on city driving and whatnot where its way more stop and go. Also high horsepower stuff

Ya mean a 244 hp isn’t high? This is a Honda after all!?

To be fair ive done my fair share of stop and go too. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Picked up some new re-71r's for Auto x. Pretty crazy tire at 265

IMG_20190502_161658.thumb.jpg.02649da208c26682a28b8861e4a5c290.jpg

image000000_01.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

On 4/29/2019 at 11:07 PM, TVwazhere said:

I have a video (that I cant seem to get to load) but the turn signals are sequential lights. 

I freaking love sequential turn signals xD

22 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Holy shit. I want some of that noise.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

@chaozbandit

For those of us that can't watch the video, what was the end result?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

@chaozbandit

For those of us that can't watch the video, what was the end result?

image.thumb.png.b3ad8eea5a9fc1f96ac8f11df8b9095c.png

Personal preference at the end of the day

Veloster N has better value, more playful dynamics, better functionality, better exhaust, better infotainment.

Type R is more neutral and more practical, has better interior materials, technically faster and styled more aggressively.

On the other hand some people might prefer the GTI Rabbit from the previous video over the Veloster N because it's a more mature car, even though the N is a better performer in every way.

Folding@Home | BOINC

18 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

better performer in every way.

Thank you for that. I do not care for the boy racer looks of the new civic (especially all the tacked on cosmetics) and it seems every riceboy in town here owns one and drives like a fucking moron in them (I lost count of the number that rev their engine and squeal their tires at me when I'm in either my 308GT4, or..humourously my Scion iQ)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Whilst I was in Toronto last week I actually saw more Type R's than any other performance car. Which made me sad, it really has become a tacky mess imho.

I also saw my first Ford GT in the wild, which was crazy. I thought they looked futuristic on a show floor, but on the road, next to your average car? SPACESHIP.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

6 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Whilst I was in Toronto last week I actually saw more Type R's than any other performance car. Which made me sad, it really has become a tacky mess imho.

I also saw my first Ford GT in the wild, which was crazy. I thought they looked futuristic on a show floor, but on the road, next to your average car? SPACESHIP.

Honda dealers here are massive, and Type Rs have been out for 2-3 years. There are infinitely more M3/C63s out if you look closely. More luxury cars the closer to downtown you get.

Folding@Home | BOINC

@chaozbanditI did notice a few M4's, but no more than the civics. I guess there's the novelty of only recently having them officially imported? 

I get more of a kick out of seeing things like the all-wheel drive BMW's....in the UK we don't get any of them outside the X1/3/5. I broke my neck looking at an E90 335ix, in sport trim. What a beast.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

10 hours ago, bob345 said:

Picked up some new re-71r's for Auto x. Pretty crazy tire at 265

IMG_20190502_161658.thumb.jpg.02649da208c26682a28b8861e4a5c290.jpg

image000000_01.jpg

i just wanna smell all that new rubber. (don't judge, it smells good in strange ways, like gasoline).

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, Ross Siggers said:

I dont think I've ever seen the newest GT, But I've seen the 2000's refresh in the classic race red twice on the road. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I dont think I've ever seen the newest GT, But I've seen the 2000's refresh in the classic race red twice on the road. 

See, I've never seen the original Ford GT, so I really wasn't expecting to see the new one either. From the front it's somewhat normal but the rear and rear 3/4 views are just...wow. Completely different experience seeing it on the road in context.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

5 hours ago, terrytek said:

i just wanna smell all that new rubber. (don't judge, it smells good in strange ways, like gasoline).

No judging.

We all have our own perverted fantasies. It's just most normal people don't air them out for all to see. ?

J/K, I'm right there next to you, taking in deep breaths of the fresh tires as well. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

No judging.

We all have our own perverted fantasies. It's just most normal people don't air them out for all to see. ?

J/K, I'm right there next to you, taking in deep breaths of the fresh tires as well. 

this is why i like going to the tire shop. the lobby just smells like rubber nonstop, it's so refreshing.

Cha-ching! The SS is back for revenge!

No, but seriously, we got our car back. I’ve missed it sorely as we suffered in a base model 2019 Malibu.

3006B2DC-7F83-40FF-BACA-3C7F0CBB6A49.jpeg

468FA222-FE0A-4BBA-AD70-324DF0E530A6.jpeg

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So today my gf and I were driving back home in her Nissan Pathfinder when she found that the steering wheel had become very heavy in a turn, and after exiting the turn, neither the gas pedal nor the brake pedal would do anything. Thankfully, we were in a relatively low speed turn, so the car coasted for about 100 feet until we were able to turn into the opening of a parking lot, but this opening had a slight incline so right after we stopped, the car started rolling backwards into traffic. That was definitely one of my biggest "oh crap" moments until I realized that we were still moving slowly enough for me to shift the transmission into park and stop us from rolling farther back. I don't know how hard she was pressing the brake pedal but she said that it did nothing to slow the car down, so I took her word for it. We stopped right in front of a fire station, and a couple of the firefighters were nice enough to push the car into the parking lot right next to the station.

Once we had pulled into a parking space, I popped open the hood, and there was a significant amount of corrosion on the battery terminals; I had never seen corrosion that bad before. After cleaning the terminals, I tried starting the car, and the starter made a single click before all the electrics shut off, so that probably meant the battery was dead. After running back to my house and driving my own car to the parking lot, I hooked up my jumper cables, and the Pathfinder started up perfectly. She even drove it all the way back to her house without any problems.

This was a really strange problem that i had never come across or heard of before. Could a dead battery (due to excessive corrosion) really cause power steering, throttle, and brakes to become nonfunctional while the car is still moving? Does anybody know what else might have caused this?

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

10 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

So today my gf and I were driving back home in her Nissan Pathfinder when she found that the steering wheel had become very heavy in a turn, and after exiting the turn, neither the gas pedal nor the brake pedal would do anything. Thankfully, we were in a relatively low speed turn, so the car coasted for about 100 feet until we were able to turn into the opening of a parking lot, but this opening had a slight incline so right after we stopped, the car started rolling backwards into traffic. That was definitely one of my biggest "oh crap" moments until I realized that we were still moving slowly enough for me to shift the transmission into park and stop us from rolling farther back. I don't know how hard she was pressing the brake pedal but she said that it did nothing to slow the car down, so I took her word for it. We stopped right in front of a fire station, and a couple of the firefighters were nice enough to push the car into the parking lot right next to the station.

Once we had pulled into a parking space, I popped open the hood, and there was a significant amount of corrosion on the battery terminals; I had never seen corrosion that bad before. After cleaning the terminals, I tried starting the car, and the starter made a single click before all the electrics shut off, so that probably meant the battery was dead. After running back to my house and driving my own car to the parking lot, I hooked up my jumper cables, and the Pathfinder started up perfectly. She even drove it all the way back to her house without any problems.

This was a really strange problem that i had never come across or heard of before. Could a dead battery (due to excessive corrosion) really cause power steering, throttle, and brakes to become nonfunctional while the car is still moving? Does anybody know what else might have caused this?

Yes I had the same issue a while back with my sisters car. Just as I was going to Repco, the car kept stalling (The idle revs haven’t adjusted yet, as the battery had been taken out, and I was still learning to drive a manual). Had to jump start twice, no power steering. Not sure about brake or accelerator issue, but a quick new battery in the parking lot fixed it. 

Massive corrosion and even even after a good clean with baking soda and water, old battery was still bad. Would only hold enough charge to start. Car was so much better with a new battery.

Not saying it is, just my experience.