Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Cha-ching! The SS is back for revenge!

No, but seriously, we got our car back. I’ve missed it sorely as we suffered in a base model 2019 Malibu.

3006B2DC-7F83-40FF-BACA-3C7F0CBB6A49.jpeg

468FA222-FE0A-4BBA-AD70-324DF0E530A6.jpeg

?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

-snip- well thats an interesting noise. The surn signal controls are digital like most new cars. Normally it plays a click-click thru the speakers but now it plays a click, but the second click is fucked up. 

turn-signal.mp3 got corrupted? xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Got the re -71r's mounted and balanced. Perfect fit for these wheels.

LRM_EXPORT_974764682002789_20190503_181228645.thumb.jpeg.26e3f5e5fa5c6d57604587be94a7274a.jpegLRM_EXPORT_974758868340864_20190503_181222832.thumb.jpeg.7c8314f1b46ffadfb82bab536db99917.jpeg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

13 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

So today my gf and I were driving back home in her Nissan Pathfinder when she found that the steering wheel had become very heavy in a turn, and after exiting the turn, neither the gas pedal nor the brake pedal would do anything. Thankfully, we were in a relatively low speed turn, so the car coasted for about 100 feet until we were able to turn into the opening of a parking lot, but this opening had a slight incline so right after we stopped, the car started rolling backwards into traffic. That was definitely one of my biggest "oh crap" moments until I realized that we were still moving slowly enough for me to shift the transmission into park and stop us from rolling farther back. I don't know how hard she was pressing the brake pedal but she said that it did nothing to slow the car down, so I took her word for it. We stopped right in front of a fire station, and a couple of the firefighters were nice enough to push the car into the parking lot right next to the station.

Once we had pulled into a parking space, I popped open the hood, and there was a significant amount of corrosion on the battery terminals; I had never seen corrosion that bad before. After cleaning the terminals, I tried starting the car, and the starter made a single click before all the electrics shut off, so that probably meant the battery was dead. After running back to my house and driving my own car to the parking lot, I hooked up my jumper cables, and the Pathfinder started up perfectly. She even drove it all the way back to her house without any problems.

This was a really strange problem that i had never come across or heard of before. Could a dead battery (due to excessive corrosion) really cause power steering, throttle, and brakes to become nonfunctional while the car is still moving? Does anybody know what else might have caused this?

The engine stalled so there was no vacuum brake assist, but the check valve for the brake booster should allow at least one (usually 2-3) full brake applies before being exhaust of vacuum. If she was just riding the pedal gently that'll exhaust the vacuum in a few seconds though, however you should check the vacuum check valve. Start the truck, let it come down to idle, shift to neutral, let it roll, then apply the brakes. You should get a full normal brake apply one time minimum, should be at least twice, ideally 2.5 to 3 times.

No engine spinning means no accessories which is why no power steering. Usually though just dropping power from the battery won't kill the car, is the battery held down correctly? Shorting the battery against something can stall the engine for sure. Some cars are more sensitive to a stall via loss of batteries than others, sometimes it's a sign of a marginal alternator also. For sure get the battery replaced, the terminals cleaned or replaced, and ensure the battery is held down correctly. Also check the brake booster check valve or just replace it.

58 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I would love to have custom turn signal sounds. Replace the click click with a slide whistle sound

It’d get old way too quick.

i was actually thinking the other day that all a turn signal sound used to be was the click of a relay basically. its funny how we moved on from that and Kept that exact same sound... we literally could of picked anything. But nope, let’s emulate a relay clicking

my friend Matt in his previous truck just made his silent lol. Which I think is a stupid idea but he didn’t mind it *shrug* 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

52 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i was actually thinking the other day that all a turn signal sound used to be was the click of a relay basically. its funny how we moved on from that and Kept that exact same sound... we literally could of picked anything. But nope, let’s emulate a relay clicking

my friend Matt in his previous truck just made his silent lol. Which I think is a stupid idea but he didn’t mind it *shrug* 

The clicking of a relay is surprisingly satisfying

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

My friends kids don't understand why he says 'hang up the phone' instead of end call.

44 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

There are deadass kids that have never fucking seen a dollar bill. What the fuck even is this coming generation. 

There are people our age-ish that couldn't operate a fucking newspaper if their life depended on it

To be fair, who buys newspapers anymore? Can’t read them while driving, need two hands.

6 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

There are deadass kids that have never fucking seen a dollar bill. What the fuck even is this coming generation. 

There are people our age-ish that couldn't operate a fucking newspaper if their life depended on it

Maybe it's because I grew up with them, but I don't understand kids who don't know how to operate a VHS recorder or a DVD player.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

There are people that have refused $2 bills because they don't know that they exist and and think they are fake. I've had people refuse $1 coins because of not knowing they exist.

I had an older gentleman use one at a gas station and the clerk (appeared 16-18 years old) wouldn't take it and claimed it was fake, worst part was the shift manager thought so too. The store manager came out and told him not to worry about paying for his drink and took them to the back (he wasn't happy).

Side note: I actually love news papers. I still have a local subscription.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

There are people that have refused $2 bills because they don't know that they exist and and think they are fake. I've had people refuse $1 coins because of not knowing they exist.

I had an older gentleman use one at a gas station and the clerk (appeared 16-18 years old) wouldn't take it and claimed it was fake, worst part was the shift manager thought so too. The store manager came out and told him not to worry about paying for his drink and took them to the back (he wasn't happy).

Side note: I actually love news papers. I still have a local subscription.

I’ve heard of police getting involved over $2 bills lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’ve heard of police getting involved over $2 bills lol

Yep, my wife works at a financial institution and they have had members and even some businesses call to ask if it was legal tender. They have even had a member come in and call the cops on the credit union because the member thought they accepted fake currency.

A gentleman came in and deposited roughly a $100s worth of $2 bills a couple old $500 bills and one bill with Mr. Cleveland Grover (extra credit if you know the denomination without looking it up) on it and she was being a bit nosey and listening in. The local sheriffs department showed up and the actual sheriff came along told the lady to brush up on her history and money knowledge, then walked out.

10 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

wait. u can't be serious about not seeing a dollar bill.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I've actually had to block bringatrailer.com at my router level because far far too many Italian exotics show up for auction there, and I have enough problems in my life (I'm looking at you 308GT4, Saturn Sky) to add more to my life....

It's an addiction, and I need help.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

37 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Nope. They exist. ‘Wow look mom a magic ticket!’

its why i get tilted when Imad says he hates cash. ‘Why would you want cash?!’

because banks close, ATMs break, wallets with your card get stolen. Money is green. 

Its happened multiple times to my mom and step dad, they’re going to pay bills online and the bank frose everybody’s accounts at the whole bank, because they were doing network maintainence. And had to not have the numbers change, so nobody could use their money. Fuck that, I’ll stick to mostly cash and only deposit about half of it. I’ve had fewer break ins than I’ve had bank issues. 

have multiple banks. It's almost like the incentive cloud storage... it costs too much for one person to build up the data retention and redundancy that a large cloud storage provider already has. so might as well just use/trust the cloud storage provider..

The problem with keeping half your money at home is eventually half your money may become a significant amount. now you have to worry about splitting up your money in different physical locations, buying safes and bolting them down, keeping up with the news and making sure no one can easily bust open your safe with a paper clip, etc. etc.

Early on it's fine. later on it'll become a problem.  more trouble than it's worth... just have multiple banks.

or live off bitcoin.. but that's not a thing yet sooo

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Nope. They exist. ‘Wow look mom a magic ticket!’

its why i get tilted when Imad says he hates cash. ‘Why would you want cash?!’

because banks close, ATMs break, wallets with your card get stolen. Money is green. 

Its happened multiple times to my mom and step dad, they’re going to pay bills online and the bank frose everybody’s accounts at the whole bank, because they were doing network maintainence. And had to not have the numbers change, so nobody could use their money. Fuck that, I’ll stick to mostly cash and only deposit about half of it. I’ve had fewer break ins than I’ve had bank issues. 

i'll use my card for anything over like 20 dollars, but I keep a small wad of 1s and 5s in case i wanna buy some quick shit. Also I always pay for gas in cash because I can avoid paying those stupid fees for using card.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

i'll use my card for anything over like 20 dollars, but I keep a small wad of 1s and 5s in case i wanna buy some quick shit. Also I always pay for gas in cash because I can avoid paying those stupid fees for using card.

You don’t have petrol cards in America? Some companies provide their own credit card for their stations, you get discounts for using them. I save around 20c/l.

15 minutes ago, floofer said:

You don’t have petrol cards in America? Some companies provide their own credit card for their stations, you get discounts for using them. I save around 20c/l.

Most gas stations here have their own rewards cards and some offer credit cards, not counting Costco or Walmart.

On another note: Master SS.

2D4B7B66-221C-4754-9343-A69687C21378.jpeg

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

21 minutes ago, floofer said:

they do, but only some companies have them, like the more expensive brands like chevron and shell have them, but any discount you get is negated by the already astronomical prices you pay per gallon, at least like 20 cents a gallon. 

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Most gas stations here have their own rewards cards and some offer credit cards, not counting Costco or Walmart.

On another note: Master SS.

2D4B7B66-221C-4754-9343-A69687C21378.jpeg

i would love to fill up at costco since they're almost always the cheapest in town but 2 things.

1. i don't have costco membership :/ 

2. even if I got my hands on one, the pumps don't take cash so double :/ 

Don't mind me living up here with glorious loonies and toonies. 

Screenshot_20190506-164023.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Screenshot_20190506-164023.png

That is fantastic, it's real life trolling.

40 minutes ago, terrytek said:

they do, but only some companies have them, like the more expensive brands like chevron and shell have them, but any discount you get is negated by the already astronomical prices you pay per gallon, at least like 20 cents a gallon. 

i would love to fill up at costco since they're almost always the cheapest in town but 2 things.

1. i don't have costco membership :/ 

2. even if I got my hands on one, the pumps don't take cash so double :/ 

Need a sad emoji for your petrol prices. Then I realize mine are higher anyway. Although not sure. I think it’s around $0.75/l for diesel. I think a gallon is 4.7l?

19 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

-snip-

they still print $2 bills? I thought they were discontinued and we have just what's left of them. those bills look way too clean/new lol

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

Need a sad emoji for your petrol prices. Then I realize mine are higher anyway. Although not sure. I think it’s around $0.75/l for diesel. I think a gallon is 4.7l?

he lives in california, it's not like America where it's dirt cheap

Spoiler