Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

11 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I have a bit of a thing for wagons :D

It’s really nice and all but I need my car to go up my driveway 

On 3/16/2019 at 7:50 PM, vinyldash303 said:

I’ll pick up some struts for non air suspension Tahoe, and pay a shop like you said.

Thats what I did, just make sure you double check their work before you go slapping your struts back into your vehicle ;) 

20180522_193733.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

On 3/16/2019 at 5:05 PM, chaozbandit said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

image.thumb.png.f006b36d3ec213610737db64708a1273.png

Seriously, when does Mazda not DNF?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

4 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Seriously, when does Mazda not DNF?

One of the cars finished Sebring tho

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

14 hours ago, wANKER said:

Haven't been to a showroom in long, are they now as bad as estate agents? 

Guess it will buff out. 

Capture.PNG.d36474c6e1c6ed5b17bfa8ca47befd2b.PNG

What the actual f*$§ ? He must have run that into a curb like a madman - I'm kinda surprised that the front wheel held up (Given its a 690, it was probably in the air :D)

Also, has the GBP  really gone so bad? I'm currently shopping for a new bike and remember seeing 690s that were demo bikes with around 1000km on the clock go for ~ 7200€

11 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Oh what? Don't mind me, just casually flexing the twins :P 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

1 hour ago, Speakerator said:

Also, has the GBP  really gone so bad? I'm currently shopping for a new bike and remember seeing 690s that were demo bikes with around 1000km on the clock go for ~ 7200€

Its not great but the sellers dreaming at 5k

Either that or they put 1 too many zeros

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

My car finally got booked into a small local bodyshop for the welding, 1st of the month. I was asking around for quotes and it turns out he lived a few streets down from me. Came over to have a look one weekend, spent about 45 minutes chatting, seems like a decent bloke.

The eventual price for the jacking point repair was £375+vat and upwards, depending on how invasive it needed to be. I also got quotes for a few other small bits, including painting a new bootlid. He offers a service where he supplies an SD card with progress photos of all work carried out, which struck a chord with me because I love documenting shit, especially regarding my car.

I was shocked when I realised it'll be 6 months since it was parked up... MOT ran out end of September. I've been driving a 1.0L, 3cyl Nissan Micra, so it'll feel EXTRA FAST when it's back on the road ;) 

I also picked up these bad boys for a long term project. I may have to step up to 18's... ?

DSC_4959.thumb.JPG.f06f0368e518b5dfe8125ddc38e4ee22.JPG

And I also PX'd my manual seats for some very good condition electric ones, in anticipation of new wiring the car will be getting this summer. Until them I'm using a battery to "set and forget" the positions. 

DSC_4932.thumb.JPG.1a6b4b2ac54accbe3584e888d33bf720.JPG

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Viper is back baby

@MEC-777

yayayayayaya

Folding@Home | BOINC

I bought the things. Now I just need to have a person like @Bitter do the transmission things for me :D 

image.png.0f14bb05d8296dac6a62e8ead3448d70.png

Finding that is proving especially difficult. The one guy I've called cant find enough info on it to fell comfortable doing the work (lest there be more trouble) the one guy I could find through a co-worker cant do it because he's backed up till tuesday of next year so to speak, and the mechanics who can do it might not be the most trustworthy or competent if my coworker is anything to go off 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

BIG BILLZ

Ooh, lsd...Do the ST's have one standard? If not that'll haul ass once fitted ?

Possibly try the local Ford/ST owners club, and see if they have anyone they'd recommend? With the E36 there's several clubs in each region of the UK, you're not normally far from someone who knows their stuff.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

14 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I bought the things. Now I just need to have a person like @Bitter do the transmission things for me :D 

-snip-

Finding that is proving especially difficult. The one guy I've called cant find enough info on it to fell comfortable doing the work (lest there be more trouble) the one guy I could find through a co-worker cant do it because he's backed up till tuesday of next year so to speak, and the mechanics who can do it might not be the most trustworthy or competent if my coworker is anything to go off 

find a business that builds crazy stuff for their clients. might be your best bet.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

14 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Ooh, lsd...Do the ST's have one standard? If not that'll haul ass once fitted ?

Possibly try the local Ford/ST owners club, and see if they have anyone they'd recommend? With the E36 there's several clubs in each region of the UK, you're not normally far from someone who knows their stuff.

The ST's come with open end Diff's from the factory. The 2018 RS was the only one to come with a limited slip IIRC

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

find a business that builds crazy stuff for their clients. might be your best bet.

I've asked but most of the people who responded werent local to NY. 

I'm also now questioning whether I need extra parts to do the diff and synchro swap (bearings mostly)

https://www.mountuneusa.com/Ford-MMT6-Countershaft-Bearing-and-Retaining-Bolt-p/6070-cbr-aa.htm or https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4026-FST

https://www.mountuneusa.com/ATB-Differential-Installation-Kit-Focus-ST-p/2363-atb-hw.htm

Cant find any concrete evidence theyre essenttial, save for this thread where OP lists a number of Ford OEM parts 

-duplicate-

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

The ST's come with open end Diff's from the factory. The 2018 RS was the only one to come with a limited slip IIRC

I've asked but most of the people who responded werent local to NY. 

I'm also now questioning whether I need extra parts to do the diff and synchro swap (bearings mostly)

https://www.mountuneusa.com/Ford-MMT6-Countershaft-Bearing-and-Retaining-Bolt-p/6070-cbr-aa.htm

https://www.mountuneusa.com/ATB-Differential-Installation-Kit-Focus-ST-p/2363-atb-hw.htm

Cant find any concrete evidence theyre essenttial, save for this thread where OP lists a number of Ford OEM parts 

you may just have to venture out. Best of luck finding someone!

Also.. starting to kind of sound like a rabbit hole. Why don't you go ahead and order the quaife sequential box with the straight cut gears now? XD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

you may just have to venture out. Best of luck finding someone!

Also.. starting to kind of sound like a rabbit hole. Why don't you go ahead and order the quaife sequential box with the straight cut gears now? XD

Threw it out to the Facebook ST group, hopefully one of them gives me a yes or no amidst the "part out" and the "what wheels are those" comments :P 

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Threw it out to the Facebook ST group, hopefully one of them gives me a yes or no amidst the "part out" and the "what wheels are those" comments :P 

what you could also do is get a spare transmission and attempt it yourself

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

what you could also do is get a spare transmission and attempt it yourself

I actually did look at car-part.com, a spare transmission with 45k miles is about $800-1000, plus I dont have the tools or facility to do it myself (mainly a transmission jack)

Normally I'm all "DIY and save the labor cost" but not this time

44 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I bought the things.

1.6k for a LSD for a mazdaspeed 3. Dayum. They have tons of honda stuff though. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 minute ago, vetali said:

1.6k for a LSD for a mazdaspeed 3. Dayum. They have tons of honda stuff though. 

The Quaife Differential is $1000, so the Mfactory one I got is a good deal. Quality is the same from what I read online. 

https://shop.synchrotech-transmissions.com/Helical-LSD-Ford-Focus-ST250-MMT6-MF-TRS-05STA.htm

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The Quaife Differential is $1000, so the Mfactory one I got is a good deal. Quality is the same from what I read online. 

https://shop.synchrotech-transmissions.com/Helical-LSD-Ford-Focus-ST250-MMT6-MF-TRS-05STA.htm

I think quaife made LSDs for my car, but as with anything aftermarket for the early non skyactive 2nd gens aftermarket support is next to nothing today. Speed3 stuff don't work in my car because of the different proportions of the car. I think I remember reading the case is the same size, but axles are different splined and length. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

29 minutes ago, vetali said:

I think quaife made LSDs for my car, but as with anything aftermarket for the early non skyactive 2nd gens aftermarket support is next to nothing today. Speed3 stuff don't work in my car because of the different proportions of the car. I think I remember reading the case is the same size, but axles are different splined and length. 

isn't it because the speed3 axles and stuff have to handle more power and all?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D