Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Suns coming out

@MEC-777 @bcredeur97

cnxab9ln0yr0b0wgnfsz.png

njfbfwkoivqrxbtw5j7n.png

https://youtu.be/qMZhrNJAFAw

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

image.thumb.png.f006b36d3ec213610737db64708a1273.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

What race and what happened

12H of sebring is on now, see previous post.

Battery fire.

Folding@Home | BOINC

Youtube sebring streams are being taken down by IMSA so twitch is our only option, or directlinks

Folding@Home | BOINC

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Sounds like its being typically french.

Should be dead but somehow isnt but will break at any moment with no prior warning

I have several good luck totems in my car atm no joke. It’s just not giving up, even gained a bit of boom in the last year - the difference was I took it to the local for a service and not an AA branch (had no choice). 

2 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Youtube sebring streams are being taken down by IMSA so twitch is our only option, or directlinks

Thought it was all tire smoke, was in fact the clutch because he was constantly riding it doing the burnout donuts. Do dumb shit win dumb prizes, good luck to him with his insurance. The gunshot car Jeep ( @vetali) was declined by his insurer until I sent them step by step circled and labeled photos documenting the entry hole, pass through hole, where it hit the bracket, and where the lead spatter destroyed the harness, they re-examined and then approved the claim. Dude owes me $8,500 for getting that shit approved. This joker with the Mustang is likely fucked, especially since there's video of him abusing the car. They'll drop him in a heart beat and put a nasty note in his insurance file making getting insurance from anyone else incredibly expensive and difficult because he just won't be worth the risks.

18 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Hope that dude with the jeep bought you a case of beer or something for all that documentation. Sounds like a PITA.

Oye, the forum ate my reply (Ok, I closed the tab by mistake).

The Jeep has been in since nearly the start of the year, I just drove it on Friday and had no faults or warning lights and everything seems to work which is a miracle considering I forgot how it all came apart and went together because I'm juggling literally 6-8 other cars on my docket at the moment. A lot of the time it spent in the shop was waiting on insurance going back and forth due to an initial shitty inspector and then having to do their job for them with the photos and waiting and waiting some more. I'm going to have to submit a supplement for an extra 5 hours and see if it'll stick because I spent a considerable amount of extra time dealing with the harnesses which were not like for like replacements. It's an updated part number that has some extra connectors, so we had to spend a bit of time on the phone with the dealer to verify it was in fact the correct body harness. Then the way the harness was built was so bad, whomever FCA contracted for this in Mexico was terrible. Almost every branch in the harness is sticking off the wrong way, the harness is twisted 180 to 90 degrees away from how it should be, hold downs are located several inches away from their points on the body in multiple places. Getting the harness installed, laid, connected, and properly secured to prevent chafing and future damage required additional hours of labor. I had to unwrap, twist, rewrap, unwrap, reposition, and rewrap hold downs in multiple places to make it fit correctly. In some places the incorrectly placed hold downs would have caused the harness to rub against sharp metal edges or threaded hold downs or become pinched under panels or seat rails if they were not correctly secured. Thankfully I'm gifted in making long winded technical sounding writeups to justify additional time. Even if they approve only part of the 5 hours I'm going for it'll be worth it.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Jesus christ. I'm not looking forward to ripping apart the Tahoe dash to find the rattles in it.

That's a piece of cake because you're putting back on the parts that came off the car and the whole thing already fits. My advice is to get some cloth tessa tape and wrap the harnesses and hoses and whatever other loose parts in that to help stop rattles from vibrating wires behind the dash. Use the cloth tape on edges where panels over lap and lay against each other as well to isolate, they make thicker cloth tapes specifically for that purpose. Some strips of butyl sound damper can also be used to add mass to plastic and metal panels to reduce vibrations and thereby some buzzing sounds, and lastly you can use some non flammable gap filler (fire stop rated stuff) to fill voids in sheet metal to help eliminate echo chambers in the body structures. Filling the A pillars with that material can help reduce some wind noise around the windshield, it's basically what many OEM's are doing now to make 'quiet steel' body pillars. That Jeep has almost all the enclosed unibody voids filled with foam. Do not use regular urethane foam in a can, they sometimes use flammable propellants which then create flammable gas filled foams in the car, not so great. Fire stop rated gap fillers will not be flammable and in theory could even make parts of your vehicle more flame retardant, not that your Tahoe needs any help being more retarded.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Fuckin lol. Its kind of a dull thunka thunka thunka. I'll take a video. Picking it up end of spring brake or so. It needs engine mounts so once those are replaced it will help with the rattles a little bit. I'm considering taking care of those at the same time I install the oil deflector in the oil pan. Would make sense to do that because having the front axle out will give much more access to the mounts. Not to mention changing all the fluids.

Doing the mounts at the same time as the pan work is wise as you need to lift the engine off the mounts and lower the steering rack to clear the pan out of the car. To replace the OEM oil pan gasket you'll need to drill out two rivets then punch them out of the holes, use the Felpro gasket or OEM part as they're both more durable metal framed gaskets. Don't forget the silicone at the areas where the rear and front covers meet the block and pan.

Dull thunka thunka thunka doesn't sound like a dash rattle, sounds like either a busted blend/mode/recirc door or a busted recirc door motor. The recirc door motors were common failures for a range of GM vehicles because rather than using an extra wire and little extra circuitry for position feedback on the recirc motor they just run the motor hard one way and hard the other way and use current sense to determine 'yep it can't go no further' so it's constantly JAMMING itself full force open and closed running the recirc door, eventually one of the gears will strip and it'll go clunk clunk clunk till it times out and sets a code each time you start the car. Usually it's a more distinct loud tapping or ticking like you've got a time bomb in the dash ticking over the passenger side near the blower motor/behind the glove box. If you sit upside down in the seats and jam your face under the dash with a flashlight you'll be able to see the blend and mode door motors on either side of the center stack, the recirc is usually on the pass side behind the glove box area.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Thought it was all tire smoke, was in fact the clutch because he was constantly riding it doing the burnout donuts. Do dumb shit win dumb prizes, good luck to him with his insurance. The gunshot car Jeep ( @vetali) was declined by his insurer until I sent them step by step circled and labeled photos documenting the entry hole, pass through hole, where it hit the bracket, and where the lead spatter destroyed the harness, they re-examined and then approved the claim. Dude owes me $8,500 for getting that shit approved. This joker with the Mustang is likely fucked, especially since there's video of him abusing the car. They'll drop him in a heart beat and put a nasty note in his insurance file making getting insurance from anyone else incredibly expensive and difficult because he just won't be worth the risks.

Insurance companies are a bitch. Warranty companies are usually pretty easy to deal with. Only had one job where an adjuster had to come out. That was because it was a big lifted truck they had just bought from a buy here pay here dealer that needed almost 5k in work. Dude was pretty cool and knew his shit. Okayed everything even with the lift kit. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

top: was eyeing the fel pro oil pan gasket on rockauto.com. I'll for sure use some hondabond on the covers thats a good tip. 

bottom: It does seem to change a little bit based on engine rpm, and it speeds up when the engine is idle.

Do you have a discord acct?

Nooooooooooooooope, this is as social as I get. I don't even have facebook, twitter, etc.

Just now, vetali said:

Insurance companies are a bitch. Warranty companies are usually pretty easy to deal with. Only had one job where an adjuster had to come out. That was because it was a big lifted truck they had just bought from a buy here pay here dealer that needed almost 5k in work. Dude was pretty cool and knew his shit. Okayed everything even with the lift kit. 

Opposite experience when warranties send out inspectors here, usually the claim gets denied or partly denied. Of course the quality of warranty and vehicle is probably a lot lower than what you see.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You should make one and hop in the discord server we got. 

@vetali you should hop back in. I can assure you nothing has changed.

Thanks but no, I don't have time for that much online interaction anymore, appreciate the invite though.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Opposite experience when warranties send out inspectors here, usually the claim gets denied or partly denied. Of course the quality of warranty and vehicle is probably a lot lower than what you see.

Most likely. The inspector we had was a former tech, hurt is back, refused to become a service advisor (based) and went to inspecting for that company. Insurance companies always fight you on labor rates and stuff. Surprisingly the fit with the heater box issue was pretty painless, and that was through Geico which we all expected to be a nightmare. 

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You should make one and hop in the discord server we got. 

@vetali you should hop back in. I can assure you nothing has changed.

Maybe. I had to take a break from online/social media shit for personal reasons.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

How the fuck do you change a shock absorber in these things?

A wall mount strut compressor is about the only thing I would trust with those big springs. I would just pay a shop to swap them. Won't be that much since they're already out of the truck, plus less risk of you killing yourself unless you wana dump ~800 bucks on a good compressor. 

https://www.amazon.com/Branick-7600-Strut-Spring-Compressor/dp/B00MMLG9ZU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=IE6YU3USOUZP&keywords=strut+spring+compressor&qid=1552779353&s=gateway&sprefix=strut%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-4

Thats what we use. Works great on those truck springs

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

You have to pull the springs out to change the damper? Fuuuuuck that.

I’ll pick up some struts for non air suspension Tahoe, and pay a shop like you said. The bottom notch is stock height, and then they go in incraments of 15mm ish lift. Probably have them do the first lifted incrament. Third lift incrament is leveled with rear end, 4th is a touch of cali lean. 

Or go for the alabama lean

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Naw I'm not finna fuck cousin.

249507fd57.png

not sure how that relates to cousin fornicating. 

5 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

That one doesn't sound too bad IMHO. I think its a lot less wet fart sounding than a lot of them it seems like.

Its got a proper exhaust on it rather than the ebay shite the internet has made everyone believe is normal honda

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Thinking about picking up something like this in the near future

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=507621122

Then doing a Golf R or GTI front bumper, tune, wheels, bags, exhaust, intake. Stuff like that. Can always look damn good

8397706390_f70a9f2e1c_c.jpg

sadasdasdasdasdsad.PNG

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Looks like a tiny minivan.

I have a bit of a thing for wagons :D

20170831_124430.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

8 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Thinking about picking up something like this in the near future

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=507621122

Then doing a Golf R or GTI front bumper, tune, wheels, bags, exhaust, intake. Stuff like that. Can always look damn good

You should probably have all your vehicles working before you pick up another one :P