Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

2017 Chevrolet SS (aka, Holden Commodore), 14.5k miles. High smiles per mile, low miles per gallon.

I like your style.

I drive a 2016 Chevy SS in blue with around 25k miles.  Definitely high in the smiles per gallon department.

IMG_20170830_131742.thumb.jpg.c3847613b4e029092a8e12fbff815d8b.jpg

Also have a 2003 SV1000s with somewhere around 36k miles.

20140718_205121.thumb.jpg.dc0b8ee78909aa0877c438fcd9e9c6b8.jpg

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

18 hours ago, Atmos said:

The wrx would probably be the sensible option, and is "plenty" fast for what i do, and would actually be a competent "off road" (gravel and dirt roads) car, which i do need when I go camping. Just the other cars are so much faster and would give way more instant satisfaction taking off from red lights and getting onto the freeway.

I suppose though since the RS is also awd it would probably do just fine on gravel and dirt as well, it would just be like 7 grand more.

the FoRS is meh ... from what i have heard that the ST is better ... 

but you dont need an AWD car to go offroading .. just proper tires and a locked diff 

you can also make the WRX quite fast ...  the new engine is quite nice ... much better than the old EJ20 or EJ25(this they still use for the WRX STi if im correct)

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

25 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I like your style.

I drive a 2016 Chevy SS in blue with around 25k miles.  Definitely high in the smiles per gallon department.

IMG_20170830_131742.thumb.jpg.c3847613b4e029092a8e12fbff815d8b.jpg

Nice! Mine's in Orange-- manual/sunroof/spare. I love it.

HoldenSSV.thumb.jpg.c46e267b96a3f38b943c27484b127ba2.jpg

DSCF8323.thumb.JPG.0b173e7f7f811368cf6b1c87e9afc8ff.JPG

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

3 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

The LS430 is nice as well. Probably a bit less that can go wrong with it too... at least I would think so. Plus, a manual swap is a lot easier and much cheaper than on an LS430 (only a couple have been done on the 430).

Oh yeah, they're really nice cars.

Its either that or a GS for my next car, could be either the GS300 or GS430.

I would probably keep them automatic however, my truck has a manual and while i enjoy it, i must admit that i an automatic daily (my little Fiat for example, its a Dualogic)

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

2009 Scion xD, purchased new and will replace with something I actually want to drive when it dies...if that day ever actually comes. 

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

A girl after my own...

Oh.

/s

Should have went with the GT,  it was about $1,000 cheaper lol.  But I wanted to save gas for my hour and 10 minute drive to work.  

3 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Oh and where do you live that happens to be a metropolis?

Southwestern Ontario - you don't get crazy prices until you get within an hour of Toronto (Toronto and the GTA itself, you're looking at $600-700K minimum for like a townhouse, with that price rising the closer you get to downtown).

A good townhouse would be $350K to $450K. A good detached house would be usually $400K and up.

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

maybe over there they are not. you right

Here, a base model Mustang is like $40K CAD (Maybe $30K-$35K USD). The Shelby GT350 is like $75K CAD.

For the same price, you're looking at an entry level Lexus or similar, or a decently tricked out Camry/Taurus, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, meiikachu said:

Should have went with the GT,  it was about $1,000 cheaper lol.  But I wanted to save gas for my hour and 10 minute drive to work.  

Eh, My dakota gets 10MPG, so anything that doesn't get worse gas mileage is good in my book.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Currently, a '97 Jeep Cherokee with 226K miles on it. Up until a month ago my daily was a '99 Jeep Wrangler with 142K miles on it, but during a snowstorm I kinda mashed it into a guard rail and its gonna take me a while to repair...

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

6 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

An '08 Ford F150 Screw (Super Crew, aka four door pickup). Had 7200 miles on it when I got it in May of '09 (it was a dealer repo in cherry condition) and now has almost 59k on it. I'll have that truck until I no longer can get parts for it. My favorite feature on it is the 40-20-40 front bench seat with the fold down armrest/console. I hate center consoles because it's pretty much impossible for my old carcass to crawl over them if I'm forced to enter from the passenger side because some incompetent, inconsiderate idiot blocked my access to the drver side door. Sadly, bench seats are becoming rare now.

I also have a shell on the bed that has tool box doors on the sides. Those are handy; it's like having a lockable trunk. I prefer larger vehicles because they are far easier for me to get in and out of than smaller vehicles. Having plenty of passenger and cargo room is also a hige advantage. I wish the F150 Screws had longer beds, though (5.5' beds have been the only ones one could get on them).

Larait and under you can still get a 40/20/40 front. Also Screws could come with a 6.5' bed from 04+?

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Eh, My dakota gets 10MPG, so anything that doesn't get worse gas mileage is good in my book.

Oof. My Ranger (beat to shit 2000 XLT with the 4.0L V6 and nigh on 200K miles) still gets 13mpg rn (usually around 16 with my driving style) and the O2 sensors are borked. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Larait and under you can still get a 40/20/40 front. Also Screws could come with a 6.5' bed from 04+?

Sadly, I had to buy used--couldn't afford new at the time--and all I could find were 5.5' beds.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Oof. My Ranger (beat to shit 2000 XLT with the 4.0L V6 and nigh on 200K miles) still gets 13mpg rn (usually around 16 with my driving style) and the O2 sensors are borked. 

Not really, if it weren't for the bum engine it has now, it would outtow the EcoBust F150s my main general contractors use while getting similar gas mileage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Sadly, I had to buy used--couldn't afford new at the time--and all I could find were 5.5' beds.

Most popular config like a Scab 6.5, but they exist.

Image result for 2008 f150 supercrew 6.5 bed

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

My old Rangers (the last one was the last year with the twin I-beam front suspension) did a lot better than 1o mpg, almost twice as much better. Heck, my current '08 F150 with the 5.4L V8 and four speed auto still gets 16-17 highway (and I'm not a hyper miler).

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

built 2005 subaru legacy gt limited wagon. running about 340 awhp rn though boost could be turned up quite a bit (block and turbo are built for >600awhp)

Hoping to get a b8 a4 avant manual again but there's only a hundred or so floating around the states rn that I know of. Shame because I miss just having a luxurious daily.

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Most popular config like a Scab 6.5, but they exist.

Image result for 2008 f150 supercrew 6.5 bed

That's a Screw, not a Scab. Scabs were the SuperCabs (extended cabs), not the crew cabs.

Jeannie

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

My old Rangers (the last one was the last year with the twin I-beam front suspension) did a lot better than 1o mpg, almost twice as much better. Heck, my current '08 F150 with the 5.4L V8 and four speed auto still gets 16-17 highway (and I'm not a hyper miler).

Yeah, they're not bad at all. Mine just has engine issues so it's feeding itself more gas than it needs, and I tend to drive with a decently heavy foot (don't push it much above 3000rpm though because there it's diminishing returns for acceleration vs eating gas). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

That's a Screw, not a Scab. Scabs were the SuperCabs (extended cabs), not the crew cabs.

"I wish the F150 Screws had longer beds, though (5.5' beds have been the only ones one could get on them)."

There's a Screw with a 6.5' bed. What I was saying is that the Screw 5.5 is the most popular config of a Screw, like a Scab with a 6.5 instead of an 8.

Also, I know the difference, I drive one. :P

I really would love a car i could work on such as a Vauxhall Astra MK3 GSI.

Or Renault 5 Turbo.

Or Peugeot 205 GTi.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

None right now, but I have a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

I plan on saving for a 2002 or 2003 Mazda Protege5, preferably in white or yellow.

Nice car those Protege 5 design wise (my opinion)

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

Just now, BetterThanLife said:

Nice car those Protege 5 design wise (my opinion)

Hells yeah, I've always loved quirky compact hatches. I wish America got the Peugeot 206 because I always loved that car in Gran Turismo 3.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

'96 GMC K2500HD 5.7L v8 with factory lift. Is a retired fire chiefs truck. Bought it with 79,000 miles on it, have just over 100k on it now. Came with an 8.5' snow plow too. Auto locking rear diff, AM/FM stereo, and air conditioning were all optional extras (thankfully the township bought all those extras). I wanna finish up the emergency lighting package to keep it up to date with the NFPA guidelines, which isn't gonna be cheap. Gotta fit up the center console, radios, lights controller, siren box, radio antennas, headache rack, and possibly a gun rack. Also wanna get the body touched up, have the whole underside recoated in that protective stuff (came with it from the factory too), and a special protective coating on the main body. Poor thing doesn't live in a garage anymore. But hopefully that'll change in the next couple of years.   

'97 Ford Explorer Limited 5.3L v8. Solid truck/suv honestly. Just needs plugs and wires replaced and should be all good to go again, has just under 180k on it. This damn thing has a built in phone (lol), a 3 inch air lift, electric seats, leather interior, and a few other things. It's a comfy offroader, lol. 

'98 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 3.3L v6 Currently in a state of disrepair, needs a whole new body, needs a trans rebuild (engine wouldn't hurt either), needs new brake lines, new CV axles, a tire just fell off moving it the other day, needs new suspension system, need to fix up the interior a bit, and need to siphon out the remaining gas (and probably some other stuff I forgot). Has just under 200k on it. It was my first car and honestly, I kinda just fell in love with it. So that's my project, is to fix it up, no matter the cost.