Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Securely erased some hard drives today on lunch.

IMG_20190306_130910.jpg

That's at least as good as Gutmann right?

If someone really wanted to, they could get the data. But they would REALLY need to WANT to... and they would get fragments only.

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

Okay buds, drunk me says i need some car guy opinions. Im looking to merge project cars and daily cars into one category because funds are getting tight with passive income alone. Right now im floating between a few choices and cant seem to pick what im going to be swapping to and selling both my cars for. I need something reliable. My budget is JUST shy of 30k and in that range a few stick out. 

Theres the 2013-2017 370z nismo

The 2016-2019 wrx

The 2016-2018 camaro ss

And lastly at the absolute top a 2016-2017 focus rs

Whats your opinion boys. I gotta know. Most likely the focus rs will require me flying out to get and road tripping back, which im not opposed to at all. I love cross country driving and am willing to dish out gas cash for it. 

honestly my vote goes to the 370z even though it's probably the oldest option. though everything else can probably hold more people and be more modern. I do like the sound of the 370z nismo tho.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

12 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

If someone really wanted to, they could get the data. But they would REALLY need to WANT to... and they would get fragments only.

I guess I need a bigger gun!

IMG_20190306_132952.jpg

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

Okay buds, drunk me says i need some car guy opinions. Im looking to merge project cars and daily cars into one category because funds are getting tight with passive income alone. Right now im floating between a few choices and cant seem to pick what im going to be swapping to and selling both my cars for. I need something reliable. My budget is JUST shy of 30k and in that range a few stick out. 

The 2016-2019 wrx

The 2016-2018 camaro ss

Whats your opinion boys. I gotta know. Most likely the focus rs will require me flying out to get and road tripping back, which im not opposed to at all. I love cross country driving and am willing to dish out gas cash for it. 

WRX if you want a 4 door ... camaro if you want a 2 door 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

36 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Securely erased some hard drives today on lunch.

-snip-

That's at least as good as Gutmann right?

my physical method is a bit slower..

I take the drives apart. And I throw away the chassis and read head but keep the platters for about a month. Everyday I rub a magnet on them. Then I break them into pieces and throw all the pieces into seperate trash cans.

probably overkill but I doubt any useful data is left xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@vetali @Bitter

What "automotive applications" are using this?
automotive.PNG.6cb73443a3d44f7e317a1c81656c8e38.PNG

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I take the drives apart. And I throw away the chassis and read head but keep the platters for about a month. Everyday I rub a magnet on them. Then I break them into pieces and throw all the pieces into seperate trash cans.

Damn!

last time I disposed of a hard drive I just beat the shit out of it with a hammer, and some of my friends thought that was overkill. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali @Bitter

CRM4sA8.gif

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali @Bitter

Sounds like an update to SAE J1939.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

On 12/21/2014 at 9:36 AM, techswede said:

Whew, almost got into a NASTY accident with a pack of Kawasaki's motorcycles, Guess I was asking for it though. A bunch of Kawasaki riders beat up a group of us a couple years ago and I have never been able to let that go. Had to talk shit about how their bikes were made in order to move on.

Funny thing though - my lady friend has a Kawasaki that was given to her by her employer (I know, how can I bear it?) and all of a sudden after I get in this fight with the Kawasaki riders she can finally get the battery on her motorcycle replaced. I had no idea the right to repair a battery might be related to production methods.

Crazy coincidence. Have any of you had a run in with Kawasaki motorcycles? They are obviously incredible bikes, I guess I have personal issues with particular leadership methods that are used for manufacturing at certain companies. Specifically how a highly structured work environment relates to high rates of depression, low social skill development, and generally a lack of personal relationships. Seems like this is similar to "Silicon Valley Syndrome" although that sounds like a way to discredit a serious social issue. Perhaps these methods will be changed soon although the trend seems to be in the opposite direction (production first instead of people first.)

I'll probably get over it soon. Can't change the world by slamming my head against a brick wall, but wanted to see if there is anyone out there who has had a similar experience so that we can support each-other if needed.

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Damn!

last time I disposed of a hard drive I just beat the shit out of it with a hammer, and some of my friends thought that was overkill. 

lol, It's not like I have drives failing on me too often and I usually have the time so *shrug*

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Damn!

I took a titanium drill bit to the last hard drive I recycled. A Hammer sounds way more fun

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I took a titanium drill bit to the last hard drive I recycled. A Hammer sounds way more fun

It was when my laptop motherboard took a shit the day after finals from a semester of collage, it served as some much needed stress relief. 

I guess I should count myself as lucky since it was the day after my finals, not the day before.

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

This is my preferred method too.  1" drill bit on the drill press.  Quick and Easy. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

....grinding stone or belt sander is way less effort.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

I’m personally a fan of taking a propane torch to platters. Makes them turn funny colors and gives off purple smoke. Don’t catch a whiff though becauce it burnt my nose and gave me a  b i t c h  of a headache for the rest of the day. Love me some chemtrails

or that

11 hours ago, Atmos said:

The 2016-2019 wrx

The 2016-2018 camaro ss

https://www.importavehicle.com/vehicles/270/1991-nissan-skyline-gt-r

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

3 hours ago, terrytek said:

honestly my vote goes to the 370z even though it's probably the oldest option. though everything else can probably hold more people and be more modern. I do like the sound of the 370z nismo tho.

Yeah, and unlike a lot of the others its not crazy common where i live, assuming i can find one with the actual red trim though that someone hasnt opted to paint out lol. Gotta be in white and have that red trim lol

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

WRX if you want a 4 door ... camaro if you want a 2 door 

The wrx would probably be the sensible option, and is "plenty" fast for what i do, and would actually be a competent "off road" (gravel and dirt roads) car, which i do need when I go camping. Just the other cars are so much faster and would give way more instant satisfaction taking off from red lights and getting onto the freeway.

I suppose though since the RS is also awd it would probably do just fine on gravel and dirt as well, it would just be like 7 grand more.

55 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Now thats just not fair lol

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 down 1 to go.

NjPwNtq.jpg

Tires are completely bald and need to be changed out.  I can get a killer deal on a set of these tires which are gnarly looking but the mfr says their not designed for temps under 7°c which where I live is more often than not but again I do have other poor weather vehicles to choose from...........

nexen-n-fera-sur4g.jpg

4 hours ago, terrytek said:

You like a VQ? The 37 is better than the 35 but only just, and that's not saying much.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

32 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

3 down 1 to go.

NjPwNtq.jpg

Tires are completely bald and need to be changed out.  I can get a killer deal on a set of these tires which are gnarly looking but the mfr says their not designed for temps under 7°c which where I live is more often than not but again I do have other poor weather vehicles to choose from...........

nexen-n-fera-sur4g.jpg

Should have put the tires on first, they're gonna tear that paint up mounting them and since it's not a standard wheel finish they're gonna tell you tough shit if you complain.

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali @Bitter

Pretty much anything with a high speed CAN bus now days. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, Atmos said:

Yeah, and unlike a lot of the others its not crazy common where i live, assuming i can find one with the actual red trim though that someone hasnt opted to paint out lol. Gotta be in white and have that red trim lol

The wrx would probably be the sensible option, and is "plenty" fast for what i do, and would actually be a competent "off road" (gravel and dirt roads) car, which i do need when I go camping. Just the other cars are so much faster and would give way more instant satisfaction taking off from red lights and getting onto the freeway.

I suppose though since the RS is also awd it would probably do just fine on gravel and dirt as well, it would just be like 7 grand more.

Now thats just not fair lol

Could get a good GTST for about 16K

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

26 minutes ago, vetali said:

Pretty much anything with a high speed CAN bus now days. 

Now we need low latency too. Ugh data busses can be so annoying on GM cars....