Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Yeah, it definitely depends on the application and exhaust system. Raptor sounds kinda bleh, IMO (kind of like a fart as you said, now that I think about it, lol), but the Ford GT sounds a lot better - probably because it's tuned to make more power and different exhaust system. 

Some BOVs I cannot stand, like the ones that chirp or whistle. Just NO! >_< Those just sound plain dumb and annoying, lol. Also the "stu stu stu stu" fluttering is compressor surge and is the sound of a turbo being tortured to death, thus it does not sound "good". 

The best BOVs are the quiet or smooth-sounding ones that simply do their job effectively. Just a simple clean "PSSSsssshhhh..." 

is it actually bad if i actually LIKE that su  tu tu tu tutu noise? it kinda flatters me idk

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

9 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

The best BOVs are the quiet or smooth-sounding ones that simply do their job effectively. Just a simple clean "PSSSsssshhhh..." 

The ST I passed a few days ago has a chirp BOV. Mine sounds like "A bus" :D 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Ford GT Halloween Editiontm

Pumpkin Spice GT.

White 21 year old girls in yoga pants, furry boots and north face softshell jackets will line up around the block to buy one. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

13 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Yeah, it definitely depends on the application and exhaust system. Raptor sounds kinda bleh, IMO (kind of like a fart as you said, now that I think about it, lol), but the Ford GT sounds a lot better - probably because it's tuned to make more power and different exhaust system. 

Some BOVs I cannot stand, like the ones that chirp or whistle. Just NO! >_< Those just sound plain dumb and annoying, lol. Also the "stu stu stu stu" fluttering is compressor surge and is the sound of a turbo being tortured to death, thus it does not sound "good". 

The best BOVs are the ones on the inner city garbage trucks we have here. They are crazy, really low sound but you feel the blast xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Pumpkin Spice GT.

White 21 year old girls in yoga pants, furry boots and north face softshell jackets will line up around the block to buy one. 

Apparently they’re not yoga pants anymore. They’re leggings. ??‍♂️

I just call them all pant-like objects. Can’t keep em all straight...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

23 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I guess I haven't done a very good job keeping up on the womens pant like objects. My bad. haha

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

14 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Doesn't matter what they're called anymore. Cargo pants and hella oversized hoodies are better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

39 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I guess I haven't done a very good job keeping up on the womens pant like objects. My bad. haha

me neither. I have a lady friend for that. I just wanted to use my pant-like object joke. 

34 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Doesn't matter what they're called anymore. Cargo pants and hella oversized hoodies are better.

eh. not my style, but sure. ??

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I thought the current trend was to wear those gym leggings, with the semi-transparent sections...

Will they be vaping in their new Ford GT though. These are the important questions.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

The ST I passed a few days ago has a chirp BOV. Mine sounds like "A bus" :D 

I still need to do some investigating into what parts mine has already. I have a feeling the 2 mods im still not 100% on are a sports cat and the uprated recirc valve.

At some point ill upload a video of how the exhaust sounds and another once the backbox is gone

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Well oh my. Always thought you needed to work at the DMV etc to get that information. I know you can get car history from it. 

Nope not really.

4 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

If it sounded like a legit race car or something I guess I could be okay with it, otherwise I'd just find a place to make as quiet of an exhaust that they can without killing a ton of power.

I can barely hear mine going from WOT to closed. I'm okay with that, don't like obvious ones though that you hear with every shift for example. And yeah, anything that's done which harms mechanicals is a no-go for me.

Compressor bypass valves arent supposed to vent to atmosphere at all. It should dump back into the intake manifold.

The flutter sould should be prevented by a properly configured bypass valve. Its a sign of a bad turbocharging job.

Wastegate sound on the other hand can be quite nice. Turbomachinery sounds great when working properly.

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I did that one because it went as my Cover photo on facebook.... Cant they also get your name and some basic info from the DMV? 

Can't get my name and info with mine so IDK about the US. It did remind me I need to get a WOF in -4 days though. 

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Panties don't drop for straight pipes. They drop for Ferrari, Lamborgini, Porsche, and Drak3

Actually roadkill took an aventador and a rat rod to I think the Vegas strip and the guys liked the lambo and chicks liked the rat rod #plottwist

5 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

So like most factory turbos? Lol yeah I agree

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I prefer women without pants so I don’t bother to pay attention to the kind they are wearing

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

23 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I prefer women without pants so I don’t bother to pay attention to the kind they are wearing

Unless they're the ones with the poppers down the sides, that means they can be taken off like stripper trousers...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

6 hours ago, terrytek said:

is it actually bad if i actually LIKE that su  tu tu tu tutu noise? it kinda flatters me idk

Lots of people like that sound. I don't because I know what it is and what it's doing to the turbo. Makes me cringe a bit. lol

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The best BOVs are the ones on the inner city garbage trucks we have here. They are crazy, really low sound but you feel the blast xD

I think you might be referring to the air brake system on big trucks that vent pressure every now and then. Sounds like a loud BOV but it's not. 

On a side note, most turbo diesel actually don't have BOVs or BPVs. They don't have throttle bodies and thus don't have the sudden back-pressure wave. They exhibit compressor surge but that's usually only in the heavily modified turbo diesel that run crazy amounts of boost. 

2 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Compressor bypass valves arent supposed to vent to atmosphere at all. It should dump back into the intake manifold.

The flutter sould should be prevented by a properly configured bypass valve. Its a sign of a bad turbocharging job.

Wastegate sound on the other hand can be quite nice. Turbomachinery sounds great when working properly.

It depends on how the engine meters incoming air volume as to which valve it should or could use. Those that use a MAF sensor located pre-turbo pretty much MUST use a BPV or it will seriously mess with the AFR and can cause a lot of damage over time. If the engine uses only a MAP sensor on the intake manifold, post-throttle body, then those engines can use either BPVs or BOVs with no performance repercussions. 

Indeed, properly setup turbo systems sound so good. :)

And yeah, wastegate flutter is something different all together and you should only hear under WOT as the gate pulses the bypass exhaust to regulate boost. You can really hear it on engines with external wastegate dump pipes. :D 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

18 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I think you might be referring to the air brake system on big trucks that vent pressure every now and then. Sounds like a loud BOV but it's not. 

On a side note, most turbo diesel actually don't have BOVs or BPVs. They don't have throttle bodies and thus don't have the sudden back-pressure wave. They exhibit compressor surge but that's usually only in the heavily modified turbo diesel that run crazy amounts of boost. 

idk how you use your airbreaks when accelerating tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 10/28/2018 at 10:47 AM, chaozbandit said:

In the words of another redditor, "I never thought I'd be jealous of an 11 year old"

@MEC-777 @bcredeur97 @warmmilk

so how has she been doing in Formula 3? I couldn't find her name at all on the Japan F3 website and when I google it all I get is a bunch of articles that more or less mirror this video, nothing about how's shes doing

ps.

super late response... I know...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

7 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

so how has she been doing in Formula 3? I couldn't find her name at all on the Japan F3 website and when I google it all I get is a bunch of articles that more or less mirror this video, nothing about how's shes doing

ps.

super late response... I know...

Dunno but her instagram shows her holding some gold trophies so I'd say she's doing alright 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

57 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

idk how you use your airbreaks when accelerating tbh

Air shifter.

9 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Dunno but her instagram shows her holding some gold trophies so I'd say she's doing alright 

whats her IG?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

46 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

whats her IG?

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

17 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

thanks... looks like she's not quite doing it full time yet according to her IG and google translate

@MEC-777 IndyCar is scheduled to go to COTA starting in 2019 and today was a Firestone tire test. ex-Marussia driver Rossi was there lapping (unofficially) 1:47s, which is on pace with a 2016 spec Audi R18 e-tron quattro LMP1 but still 15 seconds slower than last year's Mercedes-AMG F1 lap.

Folding@Home | BOINC

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Air shifter.

too bad at trucks to even know if thats a joke ?

Builds:

Spoiler