MSI Z790 Can't get to BIOS

Go to solution Solved by MahdiC,

When I install the gpu (3090 ti), regardless of connecting the display to the gpu or the on-board (MB) ports, there is no video signal before coming to the OS.

Apparently that's a known issue for and there is even a tool "NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays" for that. The tool shows this update is not applicable to my gpu, but might be helpful for some other models. 

It's been years since the earliest mentions of this issue and that's not fully resolved yet. If Nvidia can't figure it out, how hard is it for motherboard manufacturers to add a Graphics priority option to the bios setting?

For now, the temp solution that worked for me to get to BIOS:

I turn off the machine and disconnect the gpu's power and connect the cable to the on board gpu, and turn the machine on, and then I can see the bios page and boot select page. That's super annoying, but better then nothing for now, I guess.

Thank you all for the brain storming! 

Hello lttf friends,

It seems MSI enables fast boot by default and it misses keyboard inputs and I can't get to the BIOS by pressing keys.

Everything was working fine without any issues and I just wanted to check the settings, but I was not able to. Then I -made a mistake and- cleared the CMOS to see if that helps, and now the fans are running full force and ram speed went back to the default.

At this point Windows (11) works normally without issues, but I just need to set the fans to PWM in BIOS so I can control them on Windows to shut'em up! (and set XMP to increase the speed from 4800 MHz).

When I choose "Advanced Restart" on Windows to get to "UEFI Firmware Setting", it restarts and checks CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT (MSI EZ Debug LED) and after all passed, I get nothing but a black screen with fans still running. I wait long time and nothing happens, and I can't easily get it out of that state. Sometimes after 20 shutdowns and restarts I might be able to get to Windows again. If I get to Windows, it works normally (in terms of response to the restart and shutdown), until I try to get to the UEFI/BIOS from Windows settings and it goes crazy again. It feels so random and I can't find any patterns in its behavior.

I tried both GPU and on-chip graphic, (each with HDMI and Display cable) with one monitor only, and that did not seem to be helpful.

Shift key down while selecting restart behaves the same as Advanced Restart.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you!

System Info:

MB: MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI (BIOS Ver 7E25vA5 2024-05-08)

CPU: Intel 14700K

RAM: CORSAIR 64GB Vengeance DDR5 6400 XMP (2 x 32 from one Kit)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FE

SSD: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB

PSU: Seasonic Vertex PX-850 ATX 3.0

CASE: Corsair 5000D Air Flow

Cooler: NOCTUA NH-D15S

KB: Razer (Connected with USB cable)

Try F11, then selecting the BIOS. Just an idea, no idea if it will work.

MSI Z790 user here and everything works normally. I wonder if Windows "fast" start up or whatever it is causing an issue. I always disable this so Windows fully shuts down every time. 

Just now, ArushM said:

Try F11, then selecting the BIOS. Just an idea, no idea if it will work.

Thank you for the suggestion, I did actually try that and that's not effective 😕

If you put some unrealistic OC in XTU and the thing crashes, it should automatically take you to the BIOS (At least mine does with a MSI z690)

Just now, OhioYJ said:

MSI Z790 user here and everything works normally. I wonder if Windows "fast" start up or whatever it is causing an issue. I always disable this so Windows fully shuts down every time. 

Interesting! Do you also have 14th gen with two sticks of ram?
The fast boot was one of my first guesses, and I disabled that in Windows Power Settings. But that's still active in BIOS setting, and I can't get there to disable it.

The other issue is if you make any changes to the hardware like taking one stick of RAM out or adding that back, BIOS gets reset to its default and fast boot gets activated again. 

Just now, ArushM said:

If you put some unrealistic OC in XTU and the thing crashes, it should automatically take you to the BIOS (At least mine does with a MSI z690)

Hmm, I did not know that. I am going to give it a try! 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

1 minute ago, MahdiC said:

Hmm, I did not know that. I am going to give it a try! 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

NP

IIRC, unplugging your boot drive should throw you into BIOS

And shouldn't trigger a CMOS reset.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

21 minutes ago, ArushM said:

Did it work? @MahdiC

Well I never used XTU before, and was trying to figure out what would be the proper unrealistic OC parameters that do the job, yet not frying the hardware. lol 
Then I saw the stress tests and did run some and noticed when I run RAM or CPU stress tests (for 5 min) my CPU throttles and now wondering why.

I have NOCTUA NH-D15S air cooler. 

29 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

IIRC, unplugging your boot drive should throw you into BIOS

And shouldn't trigger a CMOS reset.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will test that. The only complication is I need to take the GPU out to be able to get to the boot drive, which is fine for this step, but in long run that's hell of a pain to go through every time you need to get to BIOS. I wish they had a button on the MB to send you there.

41 minutes ago, MahdiC said:

Well I never used XTU before, and was trying to figure out what would be the proper unrealistic OC parameters that do the job, yet not frying the hardware. lol 
Then I saw the stress tests and did run some and noticed when I run RAM or CPU stress tests (for 5 min) my CPU throttles and now wondering why.

I have NOCTUA NH-D15S air cooler. 

The CPU throttles because intel messed up big time trying to make CPUs for the last 2 generations. They both run way too hot, at voltages that are too high. You can give it like a 0.15V undervolt (roughly your outcome may be different) and they will run at decent temps. Contract frame is also nice (drops temps by abt 7 degrees). For an example of how high the voltage is, on stock voltage I was running an extra 400 MHZ (5.1 to 5.5). Voltage makes the CPU hotter but also more stable at higher frequencies but intel and the board manufacturers are just overdoing it. 

Just saying I got the same cooler funny enough, a contact frame, a 105C limit, and a i5-13600K, these new chips are just uncoolable, its a pain in the ass.

An unrealistic OC could just be bringing 6.2 GHZ all core for the P-cores and you should get CPU watchdog violation, almost nothing frequency wise will kill anything but dont mess around with bringing voltages too high (like 0.1V) over stock because thats when you start hurting your equipment.

Tell me if you need any more help, im relatively decent at OC'ing

Edit: I forgot to mention, please dont use the auto overclock stuff, it decides that Intel putting even more voltage into their CPUs is a great thing, but if you want an unstable, shortened lifespan machine be my guest.

8 hours ago, MahdiC said:

Interesting! Do you also have 14th gen with two sticks of ram?

13th Gen (13900k) / 2 sticks of RAM.

How to get to UEFI BIOS from within Windows, after a reboot.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.jpeg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

10 hours ago, ArushM said:

The CPU throttles because intel messed up big time trying to make CPUs for the last 2 generations. They both run way too hot, at voltages that are too high. You can give it like a 0.15V undervolt (roughly your outcome may be different) and they will run at decent temps. Contract frame is also nice (drops temps by abt 7 degrees). For an example of how high the voltage is, on stock voltage I was running an extra 400 MHZ (5.1 to 5.5). Voltage makes the CPU hotter but also more stable at higher frequencies but intel and the board manufacturers are just overdoing it. 

Just saying I got the same cooler funny enough, a contact frame, a 105C limit, and a i5-13600K, these new chips are just uncoolable, its a pain in the ass.

An unrealistic OC could just be bringing 6.2 GHZ all core for the P-cores and you should get CPU watchdog violation, almost nothing frequency wise will kill anything but dont mess around with bringing voltages too high (like 0.1V) over stock because thats when you start hurting your equipment.

Tell me if you need any more help, im relatively decent at OC'ing

Edit: I forgot to mention, please dont use the auto overclock stuff, it decides that Intel putting even more voltage into their CPUs is a great thing, but if you want an unstable, shortened lifespan machine be my guest.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Arush!

I tried that OC trick but that did not trigger it initially, then I got frustrated and removed the gpu, 1 stick of ram and the ssd and at that point I was able to get to the BIOS eventually! Then I turned the fast boot off and set the fans on PWM and restarted and that was fine and I could see the MSI green dragon when restarting.  Then I added the other ram stick and ssd and restarted and everything is fine. I also added another ssd drive with Linux to have the option for dual boot and that was fine too. When I added the GPU (3090 TI) I noticed that I can't see the msi dragon anymore and when I hit F11 can't see the boot options, but it comes to Windows by default without any issues. 

It seems that msi doesn't send the video signal through discrete gpu. 

36 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

How to get to UEFI BIOS from within Windows, after a reboot.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.jpeg

Thank you for sharing the steps. I did use the same steps and that's where I got stuck. I mentioned that in the original post:

When I choose "Advanced Restart" on Windows to get to "UEFI Firmware Setting", it restarts and checks CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT (MSI EZ Debug LED) and after all passed, I get nothing but a black screen with fans still running. I wait long time and nothing happens, and I can't easily get it out of that state.

Now it seems that when I have my gpu (3090 ti) installed, (regardless of connecting the display to the gpu or the on-board ports) I cannot see the screen before coming to the OS.

13 minutes ago, MahdiC said:

Thank you for sharing the steps. I did use the same steps and that's where I got stuck. I mentioned that in the original post:

Now it seems that when I have my gpu (3090 ti) installed, (regardless of connecting the display to the gpu or the on-board ports) I cannot see the screen before coming to the OS.

It probably will on another display output.

Switching from HDMI to DP or vice versa.

Many GPUs do this unfortunately.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

45 minutes ago, MahdiC said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Arush!

I tried that OC trick but that did not trigger it initially, then I got frustrated and removed the gpu, 1 stick of ram and the ssd and at that point I was able to get to the BIOS eventually! Then I turned the fast boot off and set the fans on PWM and restarted and that was fine and I could see the MSI green dragon when restarting.  Then I added the other ram stick and ssd and restarted and everything is fine. I also added another ssd drive with Linux to have the option for dual boot and that was fine too. When I added the GPU (3090 TI) I noticed that I can't see the msi dragon anymore and when I hit F11 can't see the boot options, but it comes to Windows by default without any issues. 

It seems that msi doesn't send the video signal through discrete gpu. 

As long as you got to the BIOS, im happy

When I install the gpu (3090 ti), regardless of connecting the display to the gpu or the on-board (MB) ports, there is no video signal before coming to the OS.

Apparently that's a known issue for and there is even a tool "NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays" for that. The tool shows this update is not applicable to my gpu, but might be helpful for some other models. 

It's been years since the earliest mentions of this issue and that's not fully resolved yet. If Nvidia can't figure it out, how hard is it for motherboard manufacturers to add a Graphics priority option to the bios setting?

For now, the temp solution that worked for me to get to BIOS:

I turn off the machine and disconnect the gpu's power and connect the cable to the on board gpu, and turn the machine on, and then I can see the bios page and boot select page. That's super annoying, but better then nothing for now, I guess.

Thank you all for the brain storming!