Server build from old Dell tower

Go to solution Solved by MC.Morrado,
39 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Looks like it's MicroATX, but you'll probably want to replace the power supply as well. Then you'll have to figure out and adapt the front panel connectors.

Honestly, if you're going to gut the thing anyway you would've been better off with a $50 generic case.

th-530361410.jpg

No specific budget. I got this tower for $56 from a thrift store a while ago. It's a Dell Vostro 260, a small tower.

It's too small to be a programming and gaming PC but just enough to be a little Linux server. I was considering installing Debian Server without a GUI and start coding and self-hosting my own website. it has 2GB of DDR3 SODIMM in it and currently runs on Linux Mint Cinnamon. I want to make this thing an actual tower I can use as a server of my own. Are there any new motherboards that are compatible? I want to make sure that its original CD drive still works perfectly for when I want to store important data physically instead of on the cloud.

Any ideas for a high spec build at a reasonable price?

KIMG1523.JPG

KIMG1519.JPG

KIMG1521.JPG

KIMG1520.JPG

5 minutes ago, Skipple said:

What exactly will it be... serving? 

If it's running Home Assistant it's more than likely good as is. If you're planning on transcoding 4K video you might have a bit more issues.

Saying you want to make the computer a server doesn't mean anything without saying what is function is. 

Also these dell cases use off standard measurements, connectors and mounting so just to keep the case which you can get literally for free ones that will be standard atx ones with a dvd drive mount this is way too much work and hassle.

Ditch this thing and start over if you want sonething better op. 50$ was a massive ripoff as these pc's are easily found in the garbage these days due to their uselessness.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also these dell cases use off standard measurements, connectors and mounting so just to keep the case which you can get literally for free ones that will be standard atx ones with a dvd drive mount this is way too much work and hassle.

Ditch this thing and start over if you want sonething better op. 50$ was a massive ripoff as these pc's are easily found in the garbage these days due to their uselessness.

Noted. I'll probably just upgrade it and let my older relatives use it when I no longer have a useful purpose for it. But for now I may as well try coding my own website on it just to see if I can do it. As of hardware specs: all I know is that it's a Dell Vostro 260 that has DDR3 SODIMM RAM and originally ran on Windows 7 when it was brand new.

31 minutes ago, MC.Morrado said:

I'll probably just upgrade it and let my older relatives use it when I no longer have a useful purpose for it. But for now I may as well try coding my own website on it just to see if I can do it.

I think this is for the best. To be completely honestly, you will spend 2x the money in electricity costs keeping the PC powered than it would cost in an AWS bucket to host your website.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

20 minutes ago, MC.Morrado said:

Noted. I'll probably just upgrade it and let my older relatives use it when I no longer have a useful purpose for it. But for now I may as well try coding my own website on it just to see if I can do it. As of hardware specs: all I know is that it's a Dell Vostro 260 that has DDR3 SODIMM RAM and originally ran on Windows 7 when it was brand new.

I mean it says it on the sticker. 14 year old dual core i3, 500gb hdd and 2gb of ram. That 2gb is barely enough to just exist these days on a desktop.

As for website just use your own pc. Make that run like a wamp server or whatevers and call it quits. No need to waste money and electricity on a separate pc to do this when that computer is just flat out bad.

This thing is for the bin basically. By the time you made it usable you spent more money then simply buyinh a better used pc.

40 minutes ago, MC.Morrado said:

Are there any new motherboards that are compatible?

Looks like it's MicroATX, but you'll probably want to replace the power supply as well. Then you'll have to figure out and adapt the front panel connectors.

Honestly, if you're going to gut the thing anyway you would've been better off with a $50 generic case.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

39 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

th-530361410.jpg

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

doubt OP would be able to put another board in that case properly as Dell likely used proprietary standoff locations too.

5 minutes ago, Brando212 said:

doubt OP would be able to put another board in that case properly as Dell likely used proprietary standoff locations too.

Nah, those look like the standard screw locations and IO shield hole to me.

Once upon a time I gutted an old Dimension 4600 that died from the capacitor plague, and a standard mATX board just dropped right in. 

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Nah, those look like the standard screw locations and IO shield hole to me.

Once upon a time I gutted an old Dimension 4600 that died from the capacitor plague, and a standard mATX board just dropped right in. 

Do be mindfull that dell often did the mounting the cooler directly to the case tactics. Which means if you put a normal board in there a good chance metal touches the back of the board and shorts it.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Do be mindfull that dell often did the mounting the cooler directly to the case tactics. Which means if you put a normal board in there a good chance metal touches the back of the board and shorts it.

That's why Dremels and angle grinders were invented. Can't short the motherboard out if it's across the room in the trash.

2 hours ago, MC.Morrado said:

enough to be a little Linux server

Easily enough

actual tower I can use as a server of my own

Easy to do

Are there any new motherboards that are compatible? 

Almost certainly not. But there is no need. 
Grab some used DDR3 SODIMMs and an SSD and drop pretty much any linux on it. I like straight normal Ubuntu, you don't need Server. Set up SSH and you've got a headless server easily able to handle webhosting with Nginx. 
What exactly is the problem here?

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup