Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, ColonelThunder said:

Quotes are broken

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

I would unplug any cigarette adapters as well.  Some times they're on with the car off.

That creates a variable because most likely you will plug that stuff all back in after the test. 

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah well 0.00175 amps doesn't make any sense to me, especially as soon as I touch the negative battery cable to the terminal it gives a larger spark than it should. 

Dad is picking up another multimeter on his way home tonight so we'll try that tom. the one we have is garbage according to reviews online lol

If i can get a good reading then ill start pulling fuses and see if I can find out what it is.

Get a good auto ranging meter like a... uh, fluke lol. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Anyone here Who play automation? I built a high reving 1400cc i4 n/a engine on there and it makes 45nm of torqe at 11666 rpm.... (300hp) and it redlines at 12000rpm. 

Ps: since i last played it they added 20v cylinders heads to the i4 engines, brb im going to build my engine.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Just now, vetali said:

That creates a variable because most likely you will plug that stuff all back in after the test. 

Kinda thought he was testing the car for faults?

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Just now, vetali said:

Get a good auto ranging meter like a... uh, fluke lol. 

the ciagarrette lighter adapter we had was for a 5V 1amp USB charging port for a phone and nothing was connected to it so it wouldn't be drawing much.. not enough to drain the battery halfway overnight.

My dad isn't gonna spend $200 on a multimeter so ill just have to settle with whatever he turns up with tonight lol. Probably an innova or something from autozone/oreilly. Should be better than the one we have. It doesn't need to be 100% accurate just enough so I can differentiate between something good or something bad happening lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

the ciagarrette lighter adapter we had was for a 5V 1amp USB charging port for a phone and nothing was connected to it so it wouldn't be drawing much.. not enough to drain the battery halfway overnight.

My dad isn't gonna spend $200 on a multimeter so ill just have to settle with whatever he turns up with tonight lol. Probably an innova or something from autozone/oreilly. Should be better than the one we have. It doesn't need to be 100% accurate just enough so I can differentiate between something good or something bad happening lol

tbh any time I have to use a non fluke meter I feel like I'd be better off with two wires and a potato. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

33 minutes ago, vetali said:

tbh any time I have to use a non fluke meter I feel like I'd be better off with two wires and a potato. 

You can get Fluke's for $100. Measures pretty much everything with auto-range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152100685986

You can also look at a couple of other sellers for a possible cheaper price.

Edit: Another Fluke for $80 with free shipping. It's worth a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201481739995

Always knew this day was coming. About 5 minutes from home, a deer (tiny thing) decides to jump out in front of my car. While I braked, I hit it dead center of my car. The deer was sent flying toward the left. Was traveling about 25-30 MPH. I pulled off to the nearest safe spot, about 75 feet away, and surveyed the damage. Literally, the only thing dented is the license plate. When I went to check out the deer, the thing got up, and limped away with pretty good haste. Here's a picture.

Deer_Hit.jpg

Needless to say, I count myself quite lucky if I hit a deer, and the only thing damaged was the plate. I'll check if the AC works real quick though.

Edit: AC works just fine.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

You can get Fluke's for $100. Measures pretty much everything with auto-range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152100685986

You can also look at a couple of other sellers for a possible cheaper price.

Edit: Another Fluke for $80 with free shipping. It's worth a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201481739995

42 minutes ago, vetali said:

but we need one now... can't be that bad.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

43 minutes ago, vetali said:

IMG_20160809_033554.jpg

IMG_20160809_033616.jpg

How do you think this POS feels after owning a fluke for a year? (I had a fluke meter but it was stolen :( )

And yes, my friend it is a fake caltec instruments meter, it is missing an s in the name and it dosent have detachable leads, it used to have a backlight but that went pop and off on the dial used to mean off not 250v.... (In the pictures it is actually off and i have opened it to try and fix it but that swithch is huge, crusty, chinese and soldered directly to the mainboard....)

Bonus pic of my solder-station cause idk:

IMG_20160809_034738.jpg

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

but we need one now... can't be that bad.

Cheaper ones really aren't too bad.

It's just that if you've felt a quality meter, then you'll know that they feel like they could survive a nuclear war.

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

Cheaper ones really aren't too bad.

It's just that if you've felt a quality meter, then you'll know that they feel like they could survive a nuclear war.

isn't that everything tho? go sit in a german car then go sit in a japanese car. same feeling lol

but you know... sometimes you just have to not care. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

isn't that everything tho? go sit in a german car then go sit in a japanese car. same feeling lol

but you know... sometimes you just have to not care. 

Yeah, I hear ya.

But the Fluke's are built so that they will survive anything you throw at it. And $80~100 for a good one is very reasonably for something that will last you decades.

TL;DR of the story.

Cheap works. Fancy is nice to have.

7 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Yeah, I hear ya.

But the Fluke's are built so that they will survive anything you throw at it. And $80~100 for a good one is very reasonably for something that will last you decades.

TL;DR of the story.

Cheap works. Fancy is nice to have.

I bet I could kill one.

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I bet I could kill one.

Australia struggled to kill it, any non Australians will probably get killed in the prosess of trying to kill the fluke: 

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Orion blew the KAT in the S14. Again. Second blown engine in the S14. He needs to swap something actually good for beating on. Like a SR or RB swap

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I'd love to have something like this someday

Just something really shitty just to mess around with and to basically ruin just for fun

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

9 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

I don't know much about the GTRs but with the ls3 in there it's going to be a lot easier to blow up the drive train components. 

You would actually be surprised, a completely stock R32 drive train (except for the clutch) will easily handle 550 crank HP, around there the Clutch pack for the 4WD system will need to be upgraded, and at around 750hp you start to run into problem's with the stock gear's in the R32 and R33 GTR's, but the getrag 6 speed in the R34's will handle around 1000 crank HP stock, at around 1200 crank hp is where they start to fail, and around the same for the rear diff (the rear diff centre is actually far beefier then a ford 9 inch), I don't think I've ever seen a front diff, drive shaft and prop shaft fail that was the result of to much power, usually shoddy maintenance or damage.

Because quotes are broken for me I'll just say it here. 

Not all DSGs are wet.  

I know this is a rather narrow sample,  but the VW 7sp that's in most petrols is dry.  The 6 speed in diesels is wet though. 

I'm glad I live in a place with very little traffic though.  Plus I commute before the rush. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

9 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

BMW E32. A very basic spec'd 7-Series.

9 hours ago, Strando123 said:

Its one of those german vroom vrooms?

8 hours ago, Mister2010 said:

to me looks like an E34 sedan could be a 525td or 525tds? 

or is it swapped with something else in it? xD 

Mister was closest :D 1990 E34 524td . 

The bad thing is.. the guy who owns it doesnt want to sell it , and its just rotting in his driveway :( 

I should have taken more pictures , the only thing the car needs is to pump up the tires , and off you go for another 500 000km .. 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

36 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

DSC05557.jpg

That Civic has some serious balls. :o

I'm sorry in advance, I couldn't help myself. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

finaly got the starlet sideways! With some old worn out dried out tyres and keeping it as close to 9k rpm (or above) as possible through the corner (a couple clutckicks to keep it in the higher revs) and she slid so beautully through the corner, so predictable and and do cobtrollable! (Its a bit "stubby" so you really need to focus if you want to get maximum angle  and avoid spinning out) also, i hit redline (11k rpm although i am going to lower it to 10k) while exiting a corner in 2nd gear flat out while going over a hill, at the exit of the corner i went over the "peak" of the hill (this is where i hit redline) and went downhill into the next corner when i upshifted and let of the throttle so i basicaly coasted through the corner while slowing down really gently to avoid sliding. (Dad went before me in his 86, he took that section flat out and used the "weightlessness" after each "crest" to transfer into the next corner by throwing his car into the next corner before cresting (he basicaly did a near reverse entry jumpdrift) i almost needed new pants after riding with him during that)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server: