Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

19 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Check the level of the transmission fluid and the differential fluid if applicable (I can't remember if they're rwd or not. What it sounds like is you have transmission whine which usually means a rebuild but checking the level of the fluid won't hurt anything, and changing it won't either. Same with the rear end fluid. 

Might give it a full service while you're at it. Just use synthetic blend oil. Not full synthetic. 

And if you do do a full service, try to get a Motorcraft filter

The car is front wheel drive as far as I know.

I'd love to do service on the car.

Quite a couple things are broken that I want to fix.

The ac isn't functioning properly, the button to turn cruise control on has a bad connection and sometimes disengages randomly, the seatbelt sensor for the passenger side seat is malfunctioning and often falsely warns you for not wearing a seatbelt, and the navigation is horribly out of date.

The only thing my mom seems to dislike is the ac not working.

The only issue is that it's not my car and my mom could not care less.

The only time she cared is when the battery died and the car wouldn't start.

Changing the fluid is probably the best I can do if I can convince my mom the problem is bad enough and the car will certainly break down if nothing is done.

My mom is the "aaah it probably isn't that bad" kind.

A rebuild is very unlikely to happen. She'll prefer selling the car and buying a new one altogether over repairing this one.

Gosh, I hate how my mom treats her car. She really doesn't give a shit.

I will try some things tomorrow, or maybe this evening if the car returns before midnight.

Here's one awesome graph that points to the argument of why we don't need self driving cars: 

image.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

18 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Yeah I know a few people like that. I have too much mechanical sympathy. 

I care too much and try too hard. :/ 

Same.

I care too much about other people's cars, and often they will dislike that because they don't give a crap about their car.

Often they are very ignorant as well. The car is a convenience to bring you from A to B, and they assume it just works. You have to put fuel in and the engine will run, just like you have to charge your phone for for it to work.

They don't understand and often don't want to understand that things like the oil needs to be changed every once in a while and such. When you ask them why the oil hasn't been changed for years they just say "because it costs money", or because they don't care because they don't understand why the oil has to be changed.

Well, buying a new engine because it's ruined is more expensive than just replacing your oil every so many kilometers.

And so the car dies a premature dead..

I'm really afraid my mom's ford is gonna end up the same slow death, which is a shame because it's a nice car.

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Here's one awesome graph that points to the argument of why we don't need self driving cars: 

-snip-

My mind hurts when thinking about self driving cars.

Driving the car is the biggest fun in it. Getting from A to B is a convenient side effect.

Just now, deWaardt said:

Same.

I care too much about other people's cars, and often they will dislike that because they don't give a crap about their car.

Often they are very ignorant as well. The car is a convenience to bring you from A to B, and they assume it just works. You have to put fuel in and the engine will run, just like you have to charge your phone for for it to work.

They don't understand and often don't want to understand that things like the oil needs to be changed every once in a while and such. When you ask them why the oil hasn't been changed for years they just say "because it costs money", or because they don't care because they don't understand why the oil has to be changed.

Well, buying a new engine because it's ruined is more expensive than just replacing your oil every so many kilometers.'

And so the car dies a premature dead..

I'm really affraid my mom's ford is gonna end up the same slow death, which is a shame because it's a nice car.

My mind hurts when thinking about self driving cars.

Driving the car is the biggest fun in it. Getting from A to B is a convenient side effect.

I'll drive all day. Worth the risk to me. I don't want a car driving for me... Too boring. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Over a year later and i still love this part of the SEMA drag race.

The Blasphemi makes the hellcat look soo incredibly dull in this that it is laughable 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

If only i had money.. 

6825411772.jpg

8670975120.jpg

This "Hemi killer" would be the one i'd pick though

0131292464.jpg

Note the U Haul trailer. It is in sweden xD 

(Buick GS Stage 1) 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, techswede said:

If only i had money.. 

8670975120.jpg

This "Hemi killer" would be the one i'd pick though

Note the U Haul trailer. It is in sweden xD 

(Buick GS Stage 1) 

I like this one the moist

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 8/7/2016 at 11:13 AM, bcredeur97 said:

The Pistons the selves don't rotate. There's like a mechanical gearing thing behind the piston that winds it in and out. It's weird. I've never seen anything like it before. Which is why I didn't do the rear brakes last time because I wasn't sure how to remove the calipers lol. 

This video explains it well enough:

(NA but same for NB)

yeah, that's weird, never seen that before...  Now I'm curious if my NC rears are the same way.  I've been hearing a weird rotation noise from back there the last couple times I drove it at low speeds, so I'm wondering if my rear calipers are dragging too.  it does seam to stay in place quite well with no ebrake on.

edit:

looked it up, NC has the regular rotating piston thing

On 8/7/2016 at 10:32 AM, techswede said:

If i had $2500 i could pick up a 2010 camaro LLT engine for my car

chevrolet_camaro_2010_motor_bensin.jpg

Would be kind of neat. 

I like this idea much better than the L67 or whatever that supercharged V6 you were talking about.

On 8/7/2016 at 11:14 AM, techswede said:

I recently found out that Z06 brakes are supposedly a direct bolt on for my camaro.

It would be incredibly overkill though. If i could get from 120-0 faster than i could get from 0-60 xD 

can't tell if sarcams, but thats not how brakes work.  distance/time is tires and pads, how long the brakes last till your pedal goes soft is bigger brakes and pads

22 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Doug demuro should buy a Geo metro and do something completely insane to it

haha, unfortunately that wouldn't work with his resale value requirement

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

1 hour ago, deWaardt said:

this is quite possibly the stupidest car thing I've ever heard

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

@MEC-777 @techswede

Twin-charged Celica

DSC05541.jpg

DSC05536.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Just now, chaozbandit said:

@MEC-777 @techswede

Twin-charged Celica

whats the engine?

2 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

whats the engine?

Toyota 2UZFE v8

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

6 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I like this idea much better than the L67 or whatever that supercharged V6 you were talking about.

Can't tell if sarcams, but thats not how brakes work.  distance/time is tires and pads, how long the brakes last till your pedal goes soft is bigger brakes and pads

The L67 is the supercharged version of the engine that is already in the car. Bolts right up with minor modifications. + Its cheaper

While the modern GM high feature engine has more novelties than the old "Fireball" i think i'll go with a safe swap.

Just having a bit of fun. Nothing serious. 

1 minute ago, techswede said:

The L67 is the supercharged version of the engine that is already in the car. Bolts right up with minor modifications. + Its cheaper

While the modern GM high feature engine has more novelties than the old "Fireball" i think i'll go with a safe swap.

Just having a bit of fun. Nothing serious. 

you can also go with the LS1 which already came in those cars and is a safe swap :D:D:D :D 

Just now, warmmilk said:

you can also go with the LS1 which already came in those cars and is a safe swap :D:D:D :D 

In the case of the LS i'd have to go for the Borg Warner T-56 six speed too. (Because why not)

And i still might. If i don't stuff it during the next three years. 

I have been reading up a bit more on the camaro and if the horsepower/Weight bs is lifted i want to build the "Slave"

GM also made a plan in late 2003 on building a spiritual Oldsmobile-badged Buick GNX successor (codenamed "Slave") based on the then-discontinued Camaro SS and Pontiac Trans Am WS6 but canceled the plan due to the Oldsmobile division's then-upcoming closure. Only one Oldsmobile Slave was built; it was a secret prototype and was completely damaged.[10] The owner of the Slave remains unknown. Under the hood was a normally aspirated LS1 V8 stroked out to 8.0 L (488 cu in) and producing 540 hp (547 PS; 403 kW) @ 5100 rpm and 600 lb·ft (813 N·m) @ 2600 rpm,

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

In the case of the LS i'd have to go for the Borg Warner T-56 six speed too. (Because why not)

And i still might. If i don't stuff it during the next three years. 

I have been reading up a bit more on the camaro and if the horsepower/Weight bs is lifted i want to build the "Slave"

I expected an auto based on the fact that you wanted an auto originally... haha

and isn't the T56 a Tremec?

Just now, warmmilk said:

I expected an auto based on the fact that you wanted an auto originally... haha

and isn't the T56 a Tremec?

Yeah i wanted an auto (Still do to some extent) but i feel like a manual isn't entirely wasted on the F-body.

I was expecting a softer GT kind of car. But it has some potential to be a really fun part time track car. 

The rights were sold to Tremec in '92. So yeah it would be more correct to say Tremec. 

Ordered the diff gasket in the hope that i can get the car into the house's garage on wednesday.

If i pop the cover and the gears look fine i'll baby it for a while until i can afford a professional rebuild.

I want to drive the darn thing.. 

On 03/08/2016 at 0:35 AM, chaozbandit said:

DSC09938.jpgDSC09760.jpg

Yeah, I can now confirm that the wheels are fucking horrible. xD

Things that make me not like the car other than the wheels, the Skyline badge on the front grill, and the fact that the front bumper is too low compared to the side skirts and rear bumper... :|

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 hours ago, techswede said:

The V90 is really good and i would totally drive this if it went into production (And wasn't front wheel drive)

the grill though :S

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

34 minutes ago, techswede said:

Yeah i wanted an auto (Still do to some extent) but i feel like a manual isn't entirely wasted on the F-body.

I was expecting a softer GT kind of car. But it has some potential to be a really fun part time track car. 

The rights were sold to Tremec in '92. So yeah it would be more correct to say Tremec. 

As someone from a country where automatic cares are very rare, I'm curious why you think a manual could be "wasted" at all on any car? 

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

this is quite possibly the stupidest car thing I've ever heard

Yet it happens..

Incredibly ignorant people. Unfortunately these exist.

These are the same people that won't believe "Speed up my PC" doesn't actually speed up your PC but just craps it over.

Having an issue with the surburban over last few days. Got in the car on saturday and went to move it out of the driveway. It started, but it started slowly. So that was weird. Checked the battery and it was drained a bit, so I put it on a slow battery charger and left it charging for a few hours. came back and unplugged it, Started it and it started fine (sounded strong like normal). Worked fine for the rest of the day and sunday and this morning I guess... (didn't see it myself this morning so idk)

But I got in the car a little while ago to go pick up a desk my mom had bought and it started slow again. I went pick up the desk (left it running in parking lot because i was scared to get stranded lol, also drove w/o overdrive in hopes it would charge a bit) I went to autozone and had them test the alternator and load test the battery. Both tested fine, the battery tester said the batter was 89% charged though. When I started it when they were done, it started fine (probably because i had been driving without O/D so it charged it fairly quickly, which only to "89%" makes me wonder how low the voltage was when i first started). 

Any ideas? Something is draining the battery. The autozone guy said it could be the starter, he even said they can drain the battery when the car isn't running when they go bad. idk what truth there is to that. But I would like to solve this problem.

@vetali

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, treeroy said:

As someone from a country where automatic cares are very rare, I'm curious why you think a manual could be "wasted" at all on any car? 

Well wasted might be a strong word. 

Driving a manual just gets old pretty quick when its in monday-friday morning traffic.