Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, techswede said:

Out of a crashed 2010 camaro. It is exactly the price of a 2j xD 

The V8 out of a crashed car will go for around $8000.

Holy moly. That's pretty terrible considering you can get Honda V6's around 50k miles for $500 lol

like how is it worth that much more? Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

@Strando123 you /should/ be able to lock vtec in by just feeding the solenoid +12v and if the thingy has enough oil pressure vtec will be locked in. Some say that there's not enough oil pressure at idle, others say that it will kick in at 3,000 rpm, personally I think that it will kick in, but it won't idle. 

What people said over and over again was that you get a Y7 head (whatever that is) and a big husky racing cam

the civic i was hoping to buy is sold, so that is a no go.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

@warmmilk that chewed up little gear thing you saw earlier is for my rear brakes, which aren't automatic adjusting. To wind back the Pistons instead of just pushing it like any normal caliper you have to take off a cover which keeps that little gear from falling out and you stick an Allen key in the end and turn it counter clockwise to pull back the piston and clockwise to push it and clamp the brake. It's very easy to turn. My guess is at some point the caliper got stuck for some reason and someone destroyed the gear trying to turn it and didn't bother replacing it. It's fairly easy to remove the gears with a magnet so I had used the gear from the other side of the car which was in good shape. I do think the other gears it contacts though on that side were chewed up a bit too. It was hard to turn in some spots and I had to fool with the parking brake after tightening it every other turn or so. Not that big of a deal but I'll probably have to replace that caliper at some point.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

So this may be a dumb question, do any of you guys know of a gps app that tracks exactly where you've been shown on the map?

Google.  They know/track all.

2 hours ago, Strando123 said:

i might get an old civic to fuck around with (non road legal, used for auto-cross and stuff) mod the engine a little (better intake, exhaust and cams) plus mod it so that vtec is permanently locked on for lolz. (car with mods would cost 1500 usd (15k nok) and that would once again allow me to avoid thrashing on the starlet whenever i want to have some fun (starlet weould then get put into storage untill im 18))

Don't lock vtec.  You will get less power at lower RPMs than without it locked.

1 hour ago, Strando123 said:

hang on two seconds, is freiburger`s F-bomb camaro actualy the camaro from fast and furious 4?

Back just before the 2f2f movie came out, my girlfriend of the time lived in a rich gated community.  I went to pick her up one day and her neighbor was out washing a car neither of us had ever seen before.  Turns out he bought one of the cars from the movie at auction when they were done filming.

52 minutes ago, techswede said:

Adding full ethanol conversion to the list of stuff i want to do to the camaro..

Why would you do that?  You'll use at least 25% more fuel to get anywhere.  Is ethanol really that much cheaper there?

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Get a LQ out a truck and save a lot of money. 

Only seeing LM7s. Still the same price for one that is certified "OK" xD 

2 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

damn... i gotta move to sweden, you guys regularely see r32 r33 and r34 skylines for sale in your country, you can buy good engines for "cheap" AND you are the country where the best god damn car ever made was produced, the volvo s60 polestar. (i love the polestar, would never buy one because id never have a driverlisence if i had one and speed limits would be concidered a "vague suggestion"

Move to strömstad and work in norway^^

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Holy moly. That's pretty terrible considering you can get Honda V6's around 50k miles for $500 lol

like how is it worth that much more? Lol

Probably only worth that since its a fairly new engine out of a camaro. And because they can charge that much for it. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Just now, techswede said:

Move to strömstad and work in norway^^

Probably only worth that since its a fairly new engine out of a camaro. And because they can charge that much for it. 

that is a genious idea, as long as the norwegian krone is worth more than the swedish krone i might actualy be able to live and have some pennies left by the end of the month!

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 minute ago, Cracklingice said:

Why would you do that?  You'll use at least 25% more fuel to get anywhere.  Is ethanol really that much cheaper there?

Only if they raise the gas prices to 20kr/L ($2.35L)

Current e85 prices $1.08

Current gas prices $1.51 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Paint or wrap?

Keep in mind, Porsche has PTS if that helps.

DSC07154.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

5 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

that is a genious idea, as long as the norwegian krone is worth more than the swedish krone i might actualy be able to live and have some pennies left by the end of the month!

+ Strömstad is a really nice town

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk that chewed up little gear thing you saw earlier is for my rear brakes, which aren't automatic adjusting. To wind back the Pistons instead of just pushing it like any normal caliper you have to take off a cover which keeps that little gear from falling out and you stick an Allen key in the end and turn it counter clockwise to pull back the piston and clockwise to push it and clamp the brake. It's very easy to turn. My guess is at some point the caliper got stuck for some reason and someone destroyed the gear trying to turn it and didn't bother replacing it. It's fairly easy to remove the gears with a magnet so I had used the gear from the other side of the car which was in good shape. I do think the other gears it contacts though on that side were chewed up a bit too. It was hard to turn in some spots and I had to fool with the parking brake after tightening it every other turn or so. Not that big of a deal but I'll probably have to replace that caliper at some point.

oh... I've always just rotated the piston itself on calipers that have rotating pistons like that...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

+ Strömstad is a really nice town

yeah that too!

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

30 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Paint or wrap?

Keep in mind, Porsche has PTS if that helps.

DSC07154.jpg

I think its a Miami blue paint job but i could be wrong.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

oh... I've always just rotated the piston itself on calipers that have rotating pistons like that...

The Pistons the selves don't rotate. There's like a mechanical gearing thing behind the piston that winds it in and out. It's weird. I've never seen anything like it before. Which is why I didn't do the rear brakes last time because I wasn't sure how to remove the calipers lol. 

This video explains it well enough:

(NA but same for NB)

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, techswede said:

Yeah, I realized after posting that you probably don't have many Chevy trucks rolling around there.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

With some work I can upgrade my front brakes to those of a c5 corvette. All I need to do is next time I get tires, is get 17" wheels so it clears the calipers. 

I recently found out that Z06 brakes are supposedly a direct bolt on for my camaro.

It would be incredibly overkill though. If i could get from 120-0 faster than i could get from 0-60 xD 

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

I recently found out that Z06 brakes are supposedly a direct bolt on for my camaro.

It would be incredibly overkill though. If i could get from 120-0 faster than i could get from 0-60 xD 

At least if you ever need an insurance payout you can brake check just about anyone and it's a guaranteed accident. 

LOL please don't do that

Spoiler

Just now, vetali said:

Yeah, I realized after posting that you probably don't have many Chevy trucks rolling around there.

Modern-ish american cars aren't really that popular around here. The newer ones are showing up more and more though 

fifth gen camaros seem pretty popular. And the mustang is a common sight 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

How you think I'll feel :P 

At least you'll have the safest S10 in the states :D

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

At least if you ever need an insurance payout you can brake check just about anyone and it's a guaranteed accident. 

LOL please don't do that

There is no shortage of tailgating audis around so i'd have plenty of opportunity..

But yeah xD Not doing that. 

man, that 2jz swapped nissan patrol has traded hands quite often! it is currently residing in sweden somewhere. @techswede you should totaly go look for it! (except not really)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Just now, Strando123 said:

man, that 2jz swapped nissan patrol has traded hands quite often! it is currently residing in sweden somewhere. @techswede you should totaly go look for it! (except not really)

I'll have a fourth generation with the stock TD42 instead. 

I'll have a fourth generation with the stock TD42 instead. 

but 1000hp at the wheels and awd with lockable diffs and fullyadjustible trophy truckish suspension.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

but 1000hp at the wheels and awd with lockable diffs and fullyadjustible trophy truckish suspension.

Don't really need that to get to my favorite fishing spot. 

Don't really need that to get to my favorite fishing spot. 

but roundabouts at 90 degrees sideways with max oposite lock while banging of the revlimiter in 3rd gear must be more fun than fishing right?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

but roundabouts at 90 degrees sideways with max oposite lock while banging of the revlimiter in 3rd gear must be more fun than fishing right?

Nah

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Nah

oh

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server: