Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

ours has an auto mode. 2high, auto, 4high, 4low

Auto is terrible though. Idk why anyone would use it. everytime you turn and go at a stop sign it makes it hesitate.

We never use 4wd though xD but we didn't choose it when we got the car. was just a used suburban to haul the family around lol The 3 times we used it, we had some fun though lol

Yeah I'm not 100% sure on that though. I don't see any point in auto. Your front diff is gonna be engaged constantly. Waste of fuel. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah I'm not 100% sure on that though. I don't see any point in auto. Your front diff is gonna be engaged constantly. Waste of fuel. 

yeah we keep it in 2WD 99.9% of the time.

this site is only somewhat helpful...: http://www.provenforce.com/transfer_case/TC_suburban_1500.html 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Im thinking it's the NVG 246-NP8. Im seeing "GM246" everywhere. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Has everyone just forgotten how to drive this weekend? IMSA yesterday, ELMS and WEC today with several Porsche crashes, now also a major crash of a brand new Mercedes AMG GT3 at the qualifying for 24H of Nurburgring.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I hate living in London, car insurance is sky high, like almost quadruple the price of the cars I'm looking at, why can't we just insure the car and let anyone drive it like most countries, instead companies get gready and want to insure every single driver

Well, got my first car. Saturn L100. My dads a mechanic and this guy came in wanting to get his car fixed, but wasn't wanting to pay the ~1500 to get it fixed so he effectively sold it to us for $150 (about equal to scrap value).

All it needed was rear brakes and a new fuel pump for $300 and some soldiered wires to fix the ac. Not a bad 1st car for $450.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

@vinyldash303 no I dont have it (and im too lazy to go find it LOL) but im pretty certain I need the auto trac II fluid now. thanks.

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You using gastkets or rtv on the diffs?

Wasn't aware that was needed for a fluid change... Thought it was just a plug

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Trying to find which transfer case our suburban has.

The haynes manual says:

NVG 261-NP2 (manual shift) -> Manual transmission fluid

NVG 246-NP8 -> Auto Trac II fluid

All others -> Dexron VI

We do not have the manual shift so it has to be one of the other two. But which one?

2007 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/5.3 vortech and 4WD (4 speed auto transmission)

We never changed any of the diff/transfer case/ or ATF. So im about to do it all in one go. The ATF was slightly dark but not too far gone so I dont feel so bad.

@vinyldash303 I know your familiar with GM stuff, help me out here? lol

Check the dipstick for the transmission, I know for our vehicles it says the fluid type you need on the handle.

atf_dipstick.jpg

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Wasn't aware that was needed for a fluid change... Thought it was just a plug

Nah gotta pull the cover off. I noticed the new Colorados have drain plugs in the bottom of the diff though. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

yea or nay on side exhaust for a tvr Griffith? (note i know this is a terrible Photoshop just try to not notice:P)

side exhaust for a tvr Griffith.png

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Nah gotta pull the cover off. I noticed the new Colorados have drain plugs in the bottom of the diff though. 

in the haynes manual it pointed out plugs... maybe only for one of them? i cant remember.. how are you supposed to fill it with the cover halfway on?? Don't tell me there is a fill plug but no drain plug. I call that laziness. lol

@vinyldash303

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

yea or nay on side exhaust for a tvr Griffith? (note i know this is a terrible Photoshop just try to not notice:P)

-snip-

nay. Trying to imagine it and it's just not working....

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

in the haynes manual it pointed out plugs... maybe only for one of them? i cant remember.. how are you supposed to fill it with the cover halfway on?? Don't tell me there is a fill plug but no drain plug. I call that laziness. lol

@vinyldash303

Front probably has a fill and drain. Rear one for sure doesn't have a drain. It has a fill plug.

man some of these cars just sound flat out nasty.

and there are some on the list that you probably didn't know would sound good straight piped.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, vetali said:

Front probably has a fill and drain. Rear one for sure doesn't have a drain. It has a fill plug.

so stupid... lol

guess ill buy a gasket and a tube of RTV if I cant find the one tube of permatex black I have somewhere..

We have a bunch of (not even joking) 30 year old sealed (well except one) tubes of all-purpose RTV at the shop. It's a clear color. We found it when we cleaned out the place.

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

AutoZone will be able to get a gasket. They're so much better than RTV (imo) 

apparently you need a little RTV on the gasket. Not much. Just a bit. It's probably optional imo but i might put a little to make it "stick" when I put it on anyway.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

man some of these cars just sound flat out nasty.

and there are some on the list that you probably didn't know would sound good straight piped.

i really dont like viso racer i mean he does none of his own content its just montage of stuff he has ripped from other people 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

so stupid... lol

guess ill buy a gasket and a tube of RTV if I cant find the one tube of permatex black I have somewhere..

We have a bunch of (not even joking) 30 year old sealed (well except one) tubes of all-purpose RTV at the shop. It's a clear color. We found it when we cleaned out the place.

I'd use black or grey on that stuff. With grey it has to be completely clean. 

7 minutes ago, terrytek said:

The s600 is deffinitly a car that falls into that catagory. If you're not familiar with the motor that is :P. Seriously, the sound that come out of this thong is insane!

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

18 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

nay. Trying to imagine it and it's just not working....

ya its probably not the best idea. But what ever car i am getting soon (still cant decide) I am putting some muffler bypass valves so i can have it straight piped when i want and quite most of the time. 

3 minutes ago, bob345 said:

The s600 is deffinitly a car that falls into that catagory. If you're not familiar with the motor that is :P. Seriously, the sound that come out of this thong is insane!

love amg v12s they sound amazing