Flipping PCs for the money

Hey all,
I was wondering what games, specs, and other components and factors were most popular amongst the used PCs market? I know that the 9-12 year olds who usually play Fortnite over other games don't really care about age of parts and stuff, as long as it says "Core i7/Ryzen 7, Nvidia GeForce (insert GPU here), RGB, and runs Fortnite." Is this most of the PC flipping market or is there another large group I should be concerned about selling to?

Budget (including currency): $330 USD (because the sales tax here is 9.75%)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Probably Fortnite? I don't know, whatever the used market wants

Other details 1920x1080 at 75Hz or more is preferred, I just need to flip PCs that people actually want and will buy, and I get fat cash in profit. I am thinking of a 4770K, 980 Ti, 16gb DDR3, and either a 120gb SSD or 1tb HDD

1 hour ago, hanouzz said:

I was just need to flip PCs that people actually want and will buy, and I get fat cash in profit.

Not gonna happen. From my experience at least, building PCs and selling them on FB Marketplace almost always loses you money. The converse, buying PCs and parting them out, tends to be a bit more reliable for making money on, though that's more dependent on what's available near you and how good you are at negotiating for whether or not you can make money. 

19 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

building PCs and selling them on FB Marketplace almost always loses you money

How would I be losing money if I sell it for more than I paid for the individual parts?

7 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

How would I be losing money if I sell it for more than I paid for the individual parts?

That's the thing, you're assuming you'd be able to sell it for more than you paid in parts. That's a lot easier said than done, and usually you end up having to drop the price enough that you're breaking even or losing money before you get people to actually buy it. 

9 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

The problem is selling it for more. Used complete systems don't sell well.

8 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

You are presuming that you can sell a system for more than the cost of the parts. And even if that were so, one still has to account for labour, costs involved in acquiring parts and costs associated with selling the system.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The converse, buying PCs and parting them out, tends to be a bit more reliable for making money on, though that's more dependent on what's available near you and how good you are at negotiating for whether or not you can make money. 

Does this apply to PCs on FB Markerplace or just brand new ones? My local market has some good PCs, not power-wise but for the money it's good deals. If I can buy them and then sell their parts that'd be nice too.

28 minutes ago, hanouzz said:

Does this apply to PCs on FB Markerplace or just brand new ones?

This applies to basically any "used" PC, or any PC sold by a private individual.

The reason you're seeing these good deals is pretty much because they don't sell otherwise.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

-= Locked =-

This not the intended use of this subforum. We are here to assist with building pcs for your use a family member or freind but not to build a business. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER