Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well shit. What do yall think of this. I was looking the tires on my grandma's 4runner. The tires have maybe 40,000 on them and are from 2012 and are dry rotting from the look of it. How much they got in them ya think? This was disappointing to find. Front passenger side is the worst. 

Hard to tell, but looks like they're almost at the wear indicators, they'll last a while longer. That isn't bad dry rot. 

JIg8Yyh.jpg

That is.

So I got my car aligned today. the left front toe was .001 out. Not sure why I was getting such abnormal tread wear unless it was a really bad tire. Anyway I was driving home and my steering wheel is now a few degrees off center, before it was perfect. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

7 minutes ago, vetali said:

Hard to tell, but looks like they're almost at the wear indicators, they'll last a while longer. That isn't bad dry rot. 

JIg8Yyh.jpg

That is.

So I got my car aligned today. the left front toe was .001 out. Not sure why I was getting such abnormal tread wear unless it was a really bad tire. Anyway I was driving home and my steering wheel is now a few degrees off center, before it was perfect. 

sounds like a case of "we forgot to tighten the lock nuts on the tie rods"

Happens here too often...

Im thinking about toe'ing my tires at 0. I want the benefits of toe'ing them out (quicker on-center steering) but I don't want the wear...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

21 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

Had a pretty good turn out last night for iHop

-snip-

what car is that on the right? I thought skyline at first but then I noticed it was a convertible. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@vetali Naw those are just part of the tread pattern. The wear indicators are another 2/3 cm down almost. 

those tires don't look bad to me. it's in the early stages of dry rot but I don't think they need to be replaced just yet. just try to use them while you still have them. burn some rubber maybe? lel

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

what car is that on the right? I thought skyline at first but then I noticed it was a convertible. 

Not a convertible. It's a 1989 R32 Skyline GTS-T. Turbo charged 2.0L Inline 6. Friend of mine just bought it not too long ago.

Just now, TopDollar said:

Not a convertible. It's a 1989 R32 Skyline GTS-T. Turbo charged 2.0L Inline 6. Friend of mine just bought it not too long ago.

ah. It looks like a convertible in that picture for some reason. But pretty nice, I really like it. 

Spoiler

will a (turbocharged) K20 fit in a honda beat? xD

I would die. lol

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

sounds like a case of "we forgot to tighten the lock nuts on the tie rods"

Happens here too often...

Im thinking about toe'ing my tires at 0. I want the benefits of toe'ing them out (quicker on-center steering) but I don't want the wear...

Well if my tie rod end pops out and I die then I'll be pretty pissed off. 

I don't remember much about alignment cause the two automotive repair subjects I give 0 shits about is tires and alignment. I think some cars use toe out because it'll zero out when you are driving highway speeds. Which I believe is only on fwd cars. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Well if my tie rod end pops out and I die then I'll be pretty pissed off. 

I don't remember much about alignment cause the two automotive repair subjects I give 0 shits about is tires and alignment. I think some cars use toe out because it'll zero out when you are driving highway speeds. Which I believe is only on fwd cars. 

On the sheet when I got my alignment, mine was toe in a bit. I thought all cars were toe in except maybe a few sports cars. Maybe Ill just set it as far out as the factory spec sheet says it can be to be safe lol

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

On the sheet when I got my alignment, mine was toe in a bit. I thought all cars were toe in except maybe a few sports cars. Maybe Ill just set it as far out as the factory spec sheet says it can be to be safe lol

Yeah, in, thats what I meant. 

I think

lol

3 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

"Consult your local forum to see if Eclipse is right for you."

-snip-

"crashing may result in serious injury... or death"

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

"Consult your local forum to see if Eclipse is right for you."

"Unsafe manifold pressure"

dying lol

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

"Unsafe manifold pressure"

dying lol

"inability to lift" made me laugh. (assuming a Vtec reference there)

non narcotic oxygen and fuel compressor that carries a risk of dependence xD

Spoiler

Oh, and I found a "fix" for the crappy quote issue that you get on mobile. Try using the "Undo" button until the quote gets removed. Seems to have worked for me.

21 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Oh, and I found a "fix" for the crappy quote issue that you get on mobile. Try using the "Undo" button until the quote gets removed. Seems to have worked for me.

I miss the old forum. I liked this because I thought all the little issues would get fixed but it looks like that isn't happening and the users have to find their own workarounds. That's bad UX.

Spoiler

Tiago Monteiro da best :>

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, GlassBomb said:

Whenever you change a bad bulb.

Make sure that you actually change the right bulb.

Haha. 

Did that on my toyota once..

I was dead tired and about to go home from work. But i was parked with the front of the car close to a wall so i couldn't help noticing 

that the front right headlight wasn't working. So i turned the car off. Grabbed the spare light and went out and changed the right one.

Unfortunately i had changed the right one seen from the front of the car. Which is the one on the left if you are sitting in it.

And you almost need to be a proctologist to change the damn lights on it. So it took me about fifteen minutes to change one..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

11 minutes ago, techswede said:

Haha. 

Did that on my toyota once..

I was dead tired and about to go home from work. But i was parked with the front of the car close to a wall so i couldn't help noticing 

that the front right headlight wasn't working. So i turned the car off. Grabbed the spare light and went out and changed the right one.

Unfortunately i had changed the right one seen from the front of the car. Which is the one on the left if you are sitting in it.

And you almost need to be a proctologist to change the damn lights on it. So it took me about fifteen minutes to change one..

I can't even begin to tell you how long it took for me to change the high/low bulbs on the car back when those broke. Next time I'm just going to remove the box for the air filter if it breaks again. Look at the lack of room to get at the bulbs at the driver side and you'll see what I mean.

330iM-3.jpg

6 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I can't even begin to tell you how long it took for me to change the high/low bulbs on the car back when those broke. Next time I'm just going to remove the box for the air filter if it breaks again. Look at the lack of room to get at the bulbs at the driver side and you'll see what I mean.

The toyota is about as tight in the engine bay as that.  (And its a van so its even more of a bother)

But most modern cars seem to be like this . Even the golf.. Can't even get my whole hand near the ligths..

2006-volkswagen-jetta-23_600x0w.jpg

They really seem to have gone out of their way in your BMW though. Actively putting stuff right in front of the access points..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

The toyota is about as tight in the engine bay as that.  (And its a van so its even more of a bother)

But most modern cars seem to be like this . Even the golf.. Can't even get my whole hand near the ligths..

~snip~

They really seem to have gone out of their way in your BMW though. Actively putting stuff right in front of the access points..

I remember that both the Citroen Nemo and the Nissan NV200 were both fairly easy to do bulb maintenance. Which was nice.

I saw someone trying to change the headlight bulb for a BMW E90/91 earlier, he literally had to go in through the wheel well to change it.

Spoiler

On my dads car you have to go through the wheel well. But he has factory Xenon lamps so we don't have to change them very often (we did it once and he has 220k miles lol)

the suburban is the easiest. Just open the hood and swap em out. Corolla is the same thing but it's a little tighter. Takes me a while but I get it.

Spoiler

Reading your bulb swapping nightmares makes me even more happy about owning an old Volvo, even the hulk could change my bulbs without a problem!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Also this happened at school this week:

image.jpeg

because "let's put a man made swamp in the middle of campus, that's a great idea!! A little 3 foot wall will keep anything from happening!"

Spoiler