Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Also this happened at school this week:

image.jpeg

because "let's put a man made swamp in the middle of campus, that's a great idea!! A little 3 foot wall will keep anything from happening!"

HOLY F*CK!!

images (22).jpg

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

57 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I can't even begin to tell you how long it took for me to change the high/low bulbs on the car back when those broke. Next time I'm just going to remove the box for the air filter if it breaks again. Look at the lack of room to get at the bulbs at the driver side and you'll see what I mean.

330iM-3.jpg

not bulb related, but holy fucking shit, why is the washer reservoir that huge? they couldn't have at least tucked it somewhere and have a long filler neck instead?

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

On my dads car you have to go through the wheel well. But he has factory Xenon lamps so we don't have to change them very often (we did it once and he has 220k miles lol)

the suburban is the easiest. Just open the hood and swap em out. Corolla is the same thing but it's a little tighter. Takes me a while but I get it.

our protege is like dead easy to replace the headlights. though on the drivers side the intake piping is kinda in the way. the van is somewhat easy, but it's somewhat cramped because of the v6 taking up room. and our corolla is a bitch to change lights.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

not gonna lie, matte black looks pretty good on an m5, depending on what rims you get. this just happened to be stock, but still looks good.

20888-terabass-albums-7-e39-cb-now-matte 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Y'all should try fried alligator, stuff is fantastic.

It is! A little tough though lol

but i do like it. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, terrytek said:

not bulb related, but holy fucking shit, why is the washer reservoir that huge? they couldn't have at least tucked it somewhere and have a long filler neck instead?

~snip~

I think it's a 4 liter reservoir? And if I'm going to be honest, I like it. It's easy to fill up, and you can just give it a quick glance to know "Yupp, plenty of washer fluid left". Prefer it over having a small hole with a long neck.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

I think it's a 4 liter reservoir? And if I'm going to be honest, I like it. It's easy to fill up, and you can just give it a quick glance to know "Yupp, plenty of washer fluid left". Prefer it over having a small hole with a long neck.

yeah but i just don't like it just taking up space up in the engine bay, i like it better down low, where you can lower the center of gravity a bit.

2 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

Whenever you change a bad bulb.

Make sure that you actually change the right bulb.

Newish Chevy Malibu, you gotta pull the front bumper to do a headlight. You may as well replace every light. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

25 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Reading your bulb swapping nightmares makes me even more happy about owning an old Volvo, even the hulk could change my bulbs without a problem!

Love the engine bays on old volvos. Compared to modern cars you could almost live in them. So much room for access 

3 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

+ We kind of need a big reservoir around here.. Damn salt

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

5 minutes ago, techswede said:

Love the engine bays on old volvos. Compared to modern cars you could almost live in them. So much room for access 

Blessed big reservoirs for Canadian winters as well. Especially with all the bipolar weather conditions over the last few months.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Just now, techswede said:

Or since it's that time of the year. "Damn pollen"

@terrytek And I don't really think that it raises the center of gravity much, if at all. It's just 4 liters (at the most) + the plastic reservoir after all.

If anything, it helps make room for heavier components that can be kept lower down in the car instead.

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It is! A little tough though lol

but i do like it. 

I've never had tough alligator. :o All the times I've eaten it fried it was pretty tender.

24 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

It's a better spot than behind the bumper. 

Also, good guy driving truck. 

-snip-

it is legal for bikers to go in between cars like that, correct? (in the US anyway)

My parents always get angry when they do that and they think it's illegal... I see no reason why it would be as long as they are not going super fast and are being careful.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

28 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I've never had tough alligator. :o All the times I've eaten it fried it was pretty tender.

hmmm. oddly enough I guess the few places I have had it, they didn't know how to make it then? 

You'd think being Louisiana people would know how to make alligator xD (both times it was fried too)

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Or since it's that time of the year. "Damn pollen"

@terrytek And I don't really think that it raises the center of gravity much, if at all. It's just 4 liters (at the most) + the plastic reservoir after all.

If anything, it helps make room for heavier components that can be kept lower down in the car instead.

I empty my washer fluid reservoir before I autocross. :ph34r:

(I normally just fill it with water anyway though.. we don't have much issues here besides bugs, and the gas station squeegee and sponge things on a stick  work wonders)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

hmmm. oddly enough I guess the few places I have had it, they didn't know how to make it then? 

You'd think being Louisiana people would know how to make alligator xD (both times it was fried too)

That's a bit sad considering I've eaten it in New Mexico of all places. :P

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That's a bit sad considering I've eaten it in New Mexico of all places. :P

what if it wasn't alligator :o 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

it is legal for bikers to go in between cars like that, correct? (in the US anyway)

My parents always get angry when they do that and they think it's illegal... I see no reason why it would be as long as they are not going super fast and are being careful.

Depends on the state I think. Its weird that people get pissed about it. They are trying to make it legal here but people are making a big deal about it. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Depends on the state I think. Its weird that people get pissed about it. They are trying to make it legal here but people are making a big deal about it. 

Haha yeah. North America seems to be the only place folks make a big deal about it. The rest of the world it is the norm and in most places encouraged.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Its illegal in all but like 2 states. and there is a good reason for it its a good way to get yourself in an accident 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

In a select few states it is. Cali, Florida, and I believe Oregon. I think it should be legal to lane split everywhere  and that Filtering at lights like this guy was doing should also be legal. Jut gotta watch out and go slow while you're doing it. There's more space out there than it looks like from in a car

gotcha. I agree with you. As long as they are careful, it should be legal. It's not really endangering anyone as your supposed to keep to your lane unless you go through the process of signaling, looking, and changing anyway. But I can also understand why it would make some people feel uncomfortable (the first time you experience it, it isn't comfortable, not something most people look for and they come by surprise)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

not gonna lie, matte black looks pretty good on an m5, depending on what rims you get. this just happened to be stock, but still looks good.

not gonna lie ... TE37s would look nice :P and i prefer white :P 

65fb63fa.jpg 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Winter wonderlaaaaaaaand!

Gotta love a Fiesta R2, and even though it doesnt have a lot of power and it's only FWD, you clearly still have a fun package to take rallying.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

ALSO if you have free time today, IndyCar will be streaming the Long Beach Grand Prix on YouTube FOR FREE.

They are doing warmup atm; dont remember if Pirelli World Challenge has run their GT classes yet. IMSA will be wrapping up the day afterwards.

Folding@Home | BOINC