Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 12/21/2014 at 7:35 PM, brownninja97 said:

am i the only person that prefers the 1972 charger but in the end im not too much into muscule cars, they would struggle in britain

1972_dodge_charger-pic-61251.jpeg

Really nice car. I have an old Challenger 1970 T/A 340 cui six pack bought in Los Angeles, CA 1979 by myself.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

13 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Subaru diesels love to break crankshafts cause of a manufacturing defect untill a certain model year IIRC, it was fixed after 2013 or something like that and mileage is not really a good way to tell if it will happen or not, other than that its quite a good engine from what i have researched before

Somehow my Peugeot 407 is still running perfectly at 240,000. I would imagine in EU they'd be a lot cheaper too, and its a little longer than the Passat. 

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Ah, fuck, my lust for obscenely rare regular cars is showing again. There's an Isuzu Oasis for sale locally and I really want it.

Go lust after a Vehicross or an X-90 if you want regular and rare. If you want regular, cool, and rare go snatch up a Dodge Spirit R/T

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Go lust after a Vehicross or an X-90 if you want regular and rare. If you want regular, cool, and rare go snatch up a Dodge Spirit R/T

I've actually seen a VehiCROSS local to me a few months ago. Unfortunately I just can't get into it all that much. I like it but I like a lot of other vehicles more.

Dodge Spirit R/T is kinda cool, but I'd love a late 80s/early 90s Chrysler Fifth Avenue over that. Rare rebadges are why I live.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I've actually seen a VehiCROSS local to me a few months ago. Unfortunately I just can't get into it all that much. I like it but I like a lot of other vehicles more.

Dodge Spirit R/T is kinda cool, but I'd love a late 80s/early 90s Chrysler Fifth Avenue over that. Rare rebadges are why I live.

Alright there Doug Demuro.

50 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Two Words, One Dead Chrysler Off-shoot brand...

PLYMOUTH BREEZE

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

12 hours ago, floofer said:

Somehow my Peugeot 407 is still running perfectly at 240,000. I would imagine in EU they'd be a lot cheaper too, and its a little longer than the Passat. 

My parent's BMW 330d E46 2001 is rocking 480.000km (almost 300.000 miles) and we only changed the clutch and the turbo once

I mean most modern engines with good oil changes and maintenance can/will make it to 300k miles without any major issues. It is the lack of proper maintenance most times that kills cars, or fixing easy things. Rarely will a rod be thrown from a block, sensors here or there, plugs and such is all regular wear items on cars. Now how long certain brands sensors last is another story all together lol.

Hoping my next car is this... Would make commuting more fun and be cheaper to maintain lol. Plus more tech than what I have now ;) looking at hopefully mid year 2020 to switch over if the pieces fall together like they should! 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Grey Pearl. That color should do well with the dirt roads I live down lol.

spacer.png

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

On 12/17/2019 at 4:13 AM, Kaloob said:

A Jeep

a jeep even i can work on, maybe not the new ones, but the older models ones are super easy to work on, heck i did a whole rear end in a pick n pull parking lot, did an oil pan on the street, oil changes in parts store parking lot, drive shaft on the street too.

Amazing to find a thread with so many pages and all about cars ?

I've been mostly a lurker here, but I've seen there seems to be some love for bimmers.

Here are my old means of transport:

First my one true love, BMW e28 535is E0-EA8-A6-E-6104-46-EC-BABE-4-B017-D4-A7

C07-E4813-03-FC-461-A-92-F6-DDBBC5-CE148

383-A48-C9-8-B89-4637-83-DC-CC149-D5-F91

The car where I learned to drive, still have it, was my grandad's

Fiat Spazio

misc16.jpg

And my last acquisition, a 1969 Jeep CJ5 (Brazilian edition ?)

B0046835-31-FE-48-FF-8-A7-E-3-D6599-E30-

E6-CBD8-B1-DEA9-4-C45-B455-3-C0-DECDA663

some teaser pics...

2019-12-13.jpg

2019-12-13.jpg

(that mishicrapo oil thermostat block is going away... but the mishicrapo oil cooler is staying)

@bcredeur97

@vetali

@vinyldash303

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Welp just left my job at valvoline. After working there I encourage everyone to avoid places like that like the plague. More then half the employees were ex felons and almost half were constantly high on the job. Also their transmission services are shit. Tire rotations done on a jack without lowering the car down on the jackstand. ? least it’s better then Jiffy lube we had a jiffy lube tech work for us he said they drained a car by taking the filter off and and running it to get the oil out. At another store they forgot to put the oil cap back on and the car caught fire and burned through the hood, and on another one didn’t put the drain plug in and destroyed a motor. -_- I have so many horror stories oh and management sexually harasses you and treats you like shit as well. ??‍♀️ Never working at a place like that again. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

some teaser pics...

2019-12-13.jpg

2019-12-13.jpg

(that mishicrapo oil thermostat block is going away... but the mishicrapo oil cooler is staying)

@bcredeur97

@vetali

@vinyldash303

Is this a evo endings in a Rx8? Cool.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Is this a evo endings in a Rx8? Cool.

this isn't an RX8... wish it was... but thats a much more expensive project

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

4 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

some teaser pics...

-snip-

@bcredeur97

@vetali

@vinyldash303

My gosh the NC engine bay is so much messier than the NA/NB lol

I'm not gonna lie I'm kinda embarrassed it took me a solid minute staring at this picture before  I saw the turbo. I was like "what is he doing? about to pull the motor?" LOL

That thing is going to be a riot! Can't wait to see it all finished and a comparo of your lap times from before and after :)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

this isn't an RX8... wish it was... but thats a much more expensive project

WHoops, I see its a miata. The front end looked similar to me since I havent seen either in a long time I only remembered the basic shape lol

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

My gosh the NC engine bay is so much messier than the NA/NB lol

I'm not gonna lie I'm kinda embarrassed it took me a solid minute staring at this picture before  I saw the turbo. I was like "what is he doing? about to pull the motor?" LOL

That thing is going to be a riot! Can't wait to see it all finished and a comparo of your lap times from before and after :)

yeah I'm excited about it too!  just worried about cooling, boosted NC's have always struggled in that department.  I drove it with the turbo before it went under the knife, its a blast! but I've never driven anything this fast on a track, so there's gonna be a little bit of a learning curve there.  although my track tune will only be 230-250whp...

39 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

yeah I'm excited about it too!  just worried about cooling, boosted NC's have always struggled in that department.  I drove it with the turbo before it went under the knife, its a blast! but I've never driven anything this fast on a track, so there's gonna be a little bit of a learning curve there.  although my track tune will only be 230-250whp...

detuning it a bit for the track will aid your reliability and heat quite a lot. Hopefully make it manageable. I think you'll be OK, especially knowing you, I'm sure you'll make sure the cooling is a bit overkill for what you need to start to be safe.

what turbo are you using?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

detuning it a bit for the track will aid your reliability and heat quite a lot. Hopefully make it manageable. I think you'll be OK, especially knowing you, I'm sure you'll make sure the cooling is a bit overkill for what you need to start to be safe.

what turbo are you using?

well there's only so much available for cooling parts for the NC... if I tried to do anything more than I already have I'd need to do custom stuff... like a custom radiator and custom fab to fit the custom radiator...  I have some ideas for ducting that hopefully will help.  if that doesn't work I'm gonna put a watersprayer on the radiator.  considering that works for pikes peak cars, that should work for me.  but I'm really hoping I don't have to resort to that.

the turbo is a Borg Warner EFR 6758 with the low boost actuator so that I can turn down boost low enough for my track power goal.  high boost should be 300-320whp

4 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

well there's only so much available for cooling parts for the NC... if I tried to do anything more than I already have I'd need to do custom stuff... like a custom radiator and custom fab to fit the custom radiator...  I have some ideas for ducting that hopefully will help.  if that doesn't work I'm gonna put a watersprayer on the radiator.  considering that works for pikes peak cars, that should work for me.  but I'm really hoping I don't have to resort to that.

the turbo is a Borg Warner EFR 6758 with the low boost actuator so that I can turn down boost low enough for my track power goal.  high boost should be 300-320whp

did you have to build the motor? I thought you had one of the earlier (pre 2009) ones which iirc were a bit weaker than after 2009. 300 whp is a lot lol

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

did you have to build the motor? I thought you had one of the earlier (pre 2009) ones which iirc were a bit weaker than after 2009. 300 whp is a lot lol

engine is a stock 2.5, they can handle up to 400whp so my power level isn't an issue

I did... still actually have my 2007.  I bought this one from a friend of mine for less than his last bill from the shop was... :D 

he tried it twice, and was having some serious cooling issues and didn't wanna deal with it anymore.  So I'm changing some things around to hopefully take a big bite out of that.  we also discovered the thermostat was stuck... so that could have really been the case for it.  he couldn't even do a single hot lap...

and yes 300whp is a lot for a car this light.  I drove it in its 270whp tune and felt every bit as fast as my 350whp evo was...

4 hours ago, Kaloob said:

A new one should still be decently easy to fix(?) don't quote me on that.

well depends on the years, and depends on if any are in the junk yard to pick parts from.