Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Yay for buying stuff! 

IMG_20180607_163347.thumb.jpg.0ccbe001d3a8ba4ad051d64296096a06.jpg

Got one of those gel batteries, a chain brush, oil filter and a new tank pad. Not really sure what's so good about the gel part or even what it means tbh but it's what they had that fit my bike so I just went with it. Fairly cheap at under €50 :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Yay for buying stuff! 

*SNIP*

Got one of those gel batteries, a chain brush, oil filter and a new tank pad. Not really sure what's so good about the gel part or even what it means tbh but it's what they had that fit my bike so I just went with it. Fairly cheap at under €50 :)

I have a very similar tank protector on my SV!

The Gel batteries use a slightly different chemistry, but the part that you care about is that you dont have to fill it, and it wont leak. :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Srt8 is the fun model, chrysler trannies aren’t the greatest but just enjoy the car. Other than the usual number of things to look over not really from what I’ve read, and I’m by no means an expert

I just do not like my focus, but it now looks like ide be fucking myself selling it now till the 2019's make a full run

Hello :) 

Epa traktor.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix z390-f

RAM: Hyperx

GPU: Asus rtx 2080 8gb OC

Case: Kolink observatory rgb 

HDD: x1 Seagate HDD x2 Hitachi HDD  

PSU: 500W something  

Monitor: x1 HP Compaq LA2205wg 22 Inch

Fan's: x4 kolink fans

Keyboard: Corsair k55 rgb 

Mouse: Trust Gxt 

Headphones: Razer Kraken 7.1 chroma Headsett

17 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The Gel batteries use a slightly different chemistry, but the part that you care about is that you dont have to fill it, and it wont leak. :D

dont gel batteries typically last a little bit longer as well? And also don't they off-gas very little?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Alfa Romeo 4C by Mole Design:

alfa-romeo-mole-costruzione-artigianale-

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

dont gel batteries typically last a little bit longer as well? And also don't they off-gas very little?

I believe you are correct on both accounts!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

42 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

the part that you care about is that you dont have to fill it, and it wont leak. :D

soooo, just like any other battery? i still havent managed to find of these elusive ones that arent fully sealed anywhere... maybe Sweden is just very advanced in just that part of cars? :P 

43 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

nice, mine has some green metal flakes in it which look horrible tho. didnt notice untill i came home though so its not like im ever going to notice it anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I hear you. Couple people I know have 300s. One has a normal one, the other has an SRT8. Both like them.

there's one person here at work who has one and they cannot park to save their life.

I hate it when they get here before me because they are almost always parked nearly sideways and leave a just big enough gap to take up as much space as possible in the area I park in. it's infuriating but I'm too scared to tell them anything because they work here and I literally see them everyday xD

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

you forgot the last step: proceed to put a 2 ton piece of machinery into a tree because you didn't know what you were doing.

xD but really I think the age to start is too young, and im saying this as a 20yo who started driving at 15

I've never had any incidents caused by myself, and I try to learn from other people's stupidity. But after seeing what went on in my driver's ed class, I can kind of understand how a lot of people know nothing about how to control a car. The thing I've noticed is that all of the assholes and less-experienced drivers are older people driving huge land boats.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

15 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I've never had any incidents caused by myself, and I try to learn from other people's stupidity. But after seeing what went on in my driver's ed class, I can kind of understand how a lot of people know nothing about how to control a car. The thing I've noticed is that all of the assholes and less-experienced drivers are older people driving huge land boats.

My main problem is they don't teach people basic car physics. If you go watch car crash videos most of them can be avoided with common sense; the others (like people swerving and somehow managing to spin off a highway) mostly come because people don't know a lick about basic car physics.. they just input way too much steering, throttle, or brake and just hang on for the ride.

Plus knowing what a car can and will do and how it will react based on a scenario is a person who genuinely understands the car who is less likely to make some of those common sense mistakes as well.

I'm not saying everyone should be a pro. But they should at least have a chance to learn basics. Oversteer, understeer, how much steering to input, what to do in certain scenarios, understanding weight transfer, etc. And get them in a car on a skidpad and build some confidence with some objectives that they try to meet.

My sister is terrified of driving. She gets it. But she doesn't truly "Understand" it enough to have confidence and she is prone to making stupid mistakes. And she knows this... which makes it worse. She's already put my dad's last A6 into another car in a parking lot when she mixed up the gas and brake. One should not make such a simple mistake after going through a driver's ed course!

I've been trying to think of ways to help her... besides bringing her to an autocross (which honestly would be ideal for growing confidence if done in an smart and understanding manner[not just "i wanna go fast"] ) which she doesn't want to do lol

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

My main problem is they don't teach people basic car physics. If you go watch car crash videos most of them can be avoided with common sense; the others (like people swerving and somehow managing to spin off a highway) mostly come because people don't know a lick about basic car physics.. they just input way too much steering, throttle, or brake and just hang on for the ride.

I'd say this is the main reason why a lot of people crash their cars. Another common one I see often is just bad situational awareness. The other day, these 2 people were at a stop light right next to me, and they a bit too close for comfort. As we started moving (I was in a turn-only lane, they were going straight), they were slowly making their way into my lane, to the point where I was hugging the curb and their car was about 4 inches from mine. Nothing happened, but it definitely was not fun. It doesn't really help that I have a super low car compared to everybody else, although it can be really fun since it only weighs 940kg.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

8 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I'd say this is the main reason why a lot of people crash their cars. Another common one I see often is just bad situational awareness. The other day, these 2 people were at a stop light right next to me, and they a bit too close for comfort. As we started moving (I was in a turn-only lane, they were going straight), they were slowly making their way into my lane, to the point where I was hugging the curb and their car was about 4 inches from mine. Nothing happened, but it definitely was not fun.

thats a very good point too... they also don't teach how traffic flows. and how every driver should optimize their driving for the majority instead of themselves.

Example: the interstate system is far more efficient if you use the passing lane as the passing lane. Pass your people then move back over. Rinse and repeat as you come up on others. It's dead simple; the left lane stays fairly empty, and traffic flows well. No one needs to pressure anyone by tailgating either. which alone would avoid a bunch of accidents as well!

Another example: If your on a road with no turn lane and you want to make a left turn onto a busier road. Wait and see if you can make your left turn.. but if you are unable to and people are piling up behind you. just make the right and figure out how to turn around shortly after. so the other people who were behind you don't have to sit there and wait for 2 ages and can get where they need to be. Simple!

I mean there are some areas where things are impossible. But those are design flaws. That's not in your control. Just optimize wherever you can.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Another example: If your on a road with no turn lane and you want to make a left turn onto a busier road. Wait and see if you can make your left turn.. but if you are unable to and people are piling up behind you. just make the right and figure out how to turn around. so the other people can get where they need to be. Simple!

What I do with those left-hand turns when there is not left turn lane is if the on-coming lanes are empty, I pull across into the on-coming lanes early to let traffic behind me go while I slow down. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

10 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I'd say this is the main reason why a lot of people crash their cars. Another common one I see often is just bad situational awareness. The other day, these 2 people were at a stop light right next to me, and they a bit too close for comfort. As we started moving (I was in a turn-only lane, they were going straight), they were slowly making their way into my lane, to the point where I was hugging the curb and their car was about 4 inches from mine. Nothing happened, but it definitely was not fun. It doesn't really help that I have a super low car compared to everybody else, although it can be really fun since it only weighs 940kg.

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

thats a very good point too... they also don't teach how traffic flows. and how every driver should optimize their driving for the majority instead of themselves.

Example: the interstate system is far more efficient if you use the passing lane as the passing lane. Pass your people then move back over. Rinse and repeat as you come up on others. It's dead simple; the left lane stays fairly empty, and traffic flows well. No one needs to pressure anyone by tailgating either. which alone would avoid a bunch of accidents as well!

Another example: If your on a road with no turn lane and you want to make a left turn onto a busier road. Wait and see if you can make your left turn.. but if you are unable to and people are piling up behind you. just make the right and figure out how to turn around. so the other people can get where they need to be. Simple!

I find that people, in general, don't know how to read the traffic ahead and react accordingly. You see a pile of brake lights ahead and some people don't bother slowing down until the last second, or they're only looking at the car(s) immediately right in front of them and aren't looking far ahead. Such a dangerous situation that causes rear-end collisions and makes traffic bunch up where it wasn't necessary when the cars ahead start moving again. So frustrating.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

What I do with those left-hand turns when there is not left turn lane is if the on-coming lanes are empty, I pull across into the on-coming lanes early to let traffic behind me go while I slow down. 

so what your saying is you pull into the oncoming lane on the road your trying to turn onto and just effectively "merge" into the correct lane with the moving traffic? That seems fine so long as it's clear..

or do you pull into the oncoming lane on the road your about to turn off of? I'd say the downside to that is what if your forced to wait and someone ends up coming up on the main road wanting to turn right?

Spoiler

@MEC-777 you're smart. any tips on actually teaching someone who has no confidence/is scared how to drive (my sister)? I've honestly been ignoring this issue... but now I feel like I should be more responsible for her livelihood (and, effectively others)

Also she obv can't do manual.. so i'd have to borrow my dad's car to teach her... should I even do this? should I just get her to learn a manual transmission from the start? even then... the lightweight flywheel for a first-timer concerns me. even I can't always launch 100% smoothly with it every time either haha

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you forgot the last step: proceed to put a 2 ton piece of machinery into a tree because you didn't know what you were doing.

xD but really I think the age to start is too young, and im saying this as a 20yo who started driving at 15

The age isn't the issue, it's the teaching methods.

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Plus knowing what a car can and will do and how it will react based on a scenario is a person who genuinely understands the car who is less likely to make some of those common sense mistakes as well.

I'm not saying everyone should be a pro. But they should at least have a chance to learn basics. Oversteer, understeer, how much steering to input, what to do in certain scenarios, understanding weight transfer, etc. And get them in a car on a skidpad and build some confidence with some objectives that they try to meet.

and thats why a lisence in Sweden costs ~$1000 and takes quite a bit of effort to get. we have a mandatory cource where we do a load of really fun stuff if you like cars and a load of fucking horefying stuff if you are not into cars. sliding about, moose tests in ramping speeds, sitting in a stationary car that rolls over, break tests in wet and dry paired with theory of why the car does what it does and thats just the second risk cource. If you do it in the winter you also get to learn how dangerous summer tires are in the winter when there is snow and ice out. Would be nice if you guys at least had that stuff as an option that was easely accessable :/ 

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@MEC-777 you're smart. any tips on actually teaching someone who has no confidence/is scared how to drive (my sister)? I've honestly been ignoring this issue... but now I feel like I should be more responsible for her livelihood (and, effectively others)

Also she obv can't do manual.. so i'd have to borrow my dad's car to teach her... should I even do this? should I just get her to learn a manual transmission from the start? even then... the lightweight flywheel for a first-timer concerns me. even I can't always launch 100% smoothly with it every time either haha

id start from the begining in an epty parking lot or industrial area and start with pedals, mirrors and instruments. then crawling around slowly and maybe some cones or something. thats how i started two years ago at least and i found it useful :)

Builds:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

or do you pull into the oncoming lane on the road your about to turn off of? I'd say the downside to that is what if your forced to wait and someone ends up coming up on the main road wanting to turn right?

This. And I only do it when there's clear visibility for on-coming traffic on the road I'm turning off of and on the road I'm turning onto - to make sure I don't get caught with someone turning right and hitting me head-on. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Flanged M14 nut please!

Noise fixed! No more heads turning hehehehehehehe hiccup

Grinder button fixed please!

Mr. Sub owned by the Russian, preferred over typical other franchise owners. Yes Sub of the day.

No other plans for the day.

But I do gotta figure out why my battery isnt up to snuff. And order more batteries.

Oh yeahhhhhhhhh need a small wheel for trailer.

Lata

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Learning manual at this point for her would probably be overwhelming as she is already nervous and unsure about her abilities and/or driving on the road with traffic to begin with. Better to teach her about driving with common sense and to learn to read traffic ahead, gain more confidence first and foremost. Learning to drive manual is a whole separate thing and can come later when she feels more confident.

I would take her out (in an automatic car) and just talk to her as you or she is driving. Tell her what's going through your mind as you read the traffic and what you do as you go along to help traffic flow more smoothly and be more prepared if something happens. It all comes with experience and if it's taught properly, it becomes a habit she won't even think about as she drives and she should feel more comfortable behind the wheel in due time. 

Some people will just always be nervous, unsure to a degree no matter how much you train/teach them and there's not much you can do about it. It's confidence they must gain for themselves. 

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

The age isn't the issue, it's the teaching methods.

Mostly agree. It's also experience. Some young drivers have confidence and some don't. Some require more time to gain experience and confidence. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Mostly agree. It's also experience. Some young drivers have confidence and some don't. Some require more time to gain experience and confidence. 

If you're unable to teach confidence the very least you can do is teach someone the common sense of knowing when they shouldn't drive if they're incapable.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

I hear you. Couple people I know have 300s. One has a normal one, the other has an SRT8. Both like them.

Thats good news! Come November when im not upside down on my car I'll probably get it