Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Eh Id build my credit up first c:

if you have a job at present (you SHOULD have a job lined up BEFORE you buy a car)

then I'd either finance the car for as little interest as possible and also get it paid off as quickly as possible, or continue working the job saving for the car, and then pay cash for the car.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

if you have a job at present (you SHOULD have a job lined up BEFORE you buy a car)

then I'd either finance the car for as little interest as possible and also get it paid off as quickly as possible, or continue working the job saving for the car, and then pay cash for the car.

I have a job already

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

I have a job already

Im a Customer Service Manager at a Grocery Store. It's literally a title and not much else. More responsibility. Same pay. 

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I have a job already

perfect. Learn to save money and live off of as little as you can. save for your car.

Keep in mind that credit is just a measure of how well you pay off debt... it's pretty unimportant up until you get a mortgage on a house IMO. And if you do things right, you can get a cash-secured credit card at a bank 6-10 months prior to buying a home  and use for expenses to build your credit up enough to get yourself a good mortgage.

And if you end up getting yourself a good income don't forget to start saving retirement and making money off of compounding interest immediately.

ok so now I just gave a couple million dollars worth of advice. up to you to take it or not. :P

I'm 19 years old btw

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

perfect. Learn to save money and live off of as little as you can. save for your car.

Keep in mind that credit is just a measure of how well you pay off debt... it's pretty unimportant up until you get a mortgage on a house IMO. And if you do things right, you can get a cash-secured credit card at a bank 6-10 months prior to buying a home  and use for expenses to build your credit up enough to get yourself a good mortgage.

And if you end up getting yourself a good income don't forget to start saving retirement and making money off of compounding interest immediately.

ok so now I just gave a couple million dollars worth of advice. up to you to take it or not. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

What is a cash secured credit card? 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 minute ago, arnavvr said:

Instead of borrowing the bank's money you're borrowing against your money.

1 minute ago, arnavvr said:

it's a credit card that requires you to put down a security deposit that also becomes your credit limit. If you fail at all in paying it off as you use it; then the bank takes your security deposit.

because they require strict money management, they tend to build credit scores very quickly so long as you use it responsibly.

so it's great for short-term credit building.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

it's a credit card that requires you to put down a security deposit that also becomes your credit limit. If you fail at all in paying it off as you use it; then the bank takes your security deposit.

because they require strict money management, they tend to build credit scores very quickly so long as you use it responsibly.

so it's great for short-term credit building.

Cool, I'm not 18 yet (won't be for a while lol, check my profile) but that sounds interesting. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

9 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Cool, I'm not 18 yet (won't be for a while lol, check my profile) but that sounds interesting. 

i'd prefer if we didn't have the stupid credit system in the first place but in a world where you'll have to borrow money for something at some point I guess it's necessary lol

A lot of our economy is based on people borrowing money anyway... if everyone had the focus of not borrowing if they can avoid it then the economy would be a LOT different than what it is now.

But really through your life... finances don't have to be complicated. Just learn to budget yourself and learn how to save money and you'll be fine. just focus on getting a good income in the first place because that will be your biggest wealth-builder.

It's just aggravating because you want to do all these fun things when you are young... like I enjoy racing/autocross and all. I'd love to do trackday events or even get involved with racing but man it eats into your income like nothing else... eating turkey sandwiches only goes so far lol

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i'd prefer if we didn't have the stupid credit system in the first place but in a world where you'll have to borrow money for something at some point I guess it's necessary lol

A lot of our economy is based on people borrowing money anyway... if everyone had the focus of not borrowing if they can avoid it then the economy would be a LOT different than what it is now.

But really through your life... finances don't have to be complicated. Just learn to budget yourself and learn how to save money and you'll be fine. just focus on getting a good income in the first place because that will be your biggest wealth-builder.

It's just aggravating because you want to do all these fun things when you are young... like I enjoy racing/autocross and all. I'd love to do trackday events or even get involved with racing but man it eats into your income like nothing else... eating turkey sandwiches only goes so far lol

Well, where I live (don't know how it is in Lafayette) you need a loan to buy a home, most people don't have that kind of cash to put down. 

43 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well that's a problem now is it? when I went buy my first car I $5k saved up... bought a 2001 corolla with 150k miles for $3k. took really good care of it. put about $1500 into it. Even had the paint corrected.. drove it for 2.5 years. someone crashed into it. Insurance company gave me $4500 for it lol (like seriously I had that thing looking pretty new from the outside... must of wow'ed the adjuster)

Went buy an 2002 miata for $6k because I like to autocross. Had a bit less less luck with this one but it was kind of sketchy to begin with (I should of ran away from the brown coolant..) Ended up putting a motor in it. So all in all i'm about $8500 into this car(it's been over a year though..), but plan on keeping it for a LOOOOOONG time so I did a ton of research and got myself the best used motor for that I could. Swapped it myself with help from a friend...

Still have had a job this whole time... still making money. I can already afford to replace the miata if anything happens to it... Everything is good. I have 0 worries and no car payment to worry about. and a car with a nearly brand new powerplant...

Now lets look at your possible scenario:

Buy's new car. Spending $300+ a month for 5 years on a $20,000 car that you don't need. Spending more on gas than you would in a little econobox... and have to have a job good enough to maintain all this. And to make it better, look after 5 years of hard work paying for your car, it's now worth $12k!  I just don't see how that's smart in any way...

go buy yourself a 9th gen corolla. Bulletproof. Sure a little ugly, but think of the future!

My plans for the wagon. This thing isn't going anywhere

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

And the dickhead of the year award goes to the driver of the Audi i passed on the way home. (Audi 100) 

He was going a bit too slow so i passed him. No big deal right? Wrong.

Dickhead passed me way too close and then proceeded to brake check me until i just got fed up and turned off the highway. 

He'll be feeling real good the next time the cops spy his license plate. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

And the dickhead of the year award goes to the driver of the Audi i passed on the way home. (Audi 100) 

He was going a bit too slow so i passed him. No big deal right? Wrong.

Dickhead passed me way too close and then proceeded to brake check me until i just got fed up and turned off the highway. 

He'll be feeling real good the next time the cops spy his license plate. 

You reported him to the police? 

6 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

You reported him to the police? 

Wouldn't you? Psycho almost caved my front end in

And i don't mean just gentle little "Hey slow down" braking. I mean "i'm going to fuck your car up" braking. 

First one was a full on, standing on the brakes right in front of me, 70km/h to 20km/h "Fuck you" thing.

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

10 minutes ago, techswede said:

And i don't mean just gentle little "Hey slow down" braking. I mean "i'm going to fuck your car up" braking. 

First one was a full on, standing on the brakes right in front of me, 70km/h to 20km/h "Fuck you" thing.

And that's why I want a truck from the 80s with an exocage.

Are we scooter friendly here too? I'm working on my 1988 Honda Elite 50cc (Rear tire tube needs new) 

images.jpg

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

12 minutes ago, techswede said:

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

And thats why I have a Dash cam!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

This is why i'm currently looking at dash cams. I mean i've seen shit like this before but this guy was nuts.

Just now, TVwazhere said:

And thats why I have a Dash cam!

Just now, techswede said:

This is why i'm currently looking at dash cams. I mean i've seen shit like this before but this guy was nuts.

Great minds think alike xD 

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Great minds think alike xD 

I'm currently using Blacksys CH100B, it's a 2 channel system (front and back cameras)

Another good system is BlackVue DR650S, very similar to the system I bought

Both were around $250 USD (On massdrop)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Are we scooter friendly here too? I'm working on my 1988 Honda Elite 50cc (Rear tire tube needs new) 

images.jpg

Man , the more i see of these the more i want one myself . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

3 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

Man , the more i see of these the more i want one myself . 

They are the most fun you can have. I've rode a Zuma 50 (owned for like a week) and this. This honda is way more peppy but the throttle is 100x more sensitive than the zuma. You kind of need to go 1/2 throttle and get up to 10 or 15 then wide open and go up to 35-40. If you go closed to wide open like you would with the zuma you bog out around 20. No reason not to get one. You can get something japanese (good don't get chinese) used and running well for $600 or less.you get 100 mpg and maintenance is minimal (tires is all basically if you get a 2 stroke) also they last forever like this 88  elite did (2 stroke will last longer because you never need an oil change

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I'm currently using Blacksys CH100B, it's a 2 channel system (front and back cameras)

Another good system is BlackVue DR650S, very similar to the system I bought

Both were around $250 USD (On massdrop)

$250 USD

tenor.gif

But i suppose you can't put a price on having proof in the event of an accident..

Going to have to read up on our dash cam laws too.

hey see this hose that's disconnected from the air resonator box? The one that someone tried to glue at some point?

mHpqfbM.jpg

WTF is it? A a pcv hose? The whole res box is not even in any documentation 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch