Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

so maybe the next toyota supra will have a manual? because the z4 seems like it will have a 6 speed available. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a12032012/bmw-z4-weight-rumors/

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

16 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so maybe the next toyota supra will have a manual? because the z4 seems like it will have a 6 speed available. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a12032012/bmw-z4-weight-rumors/

so you're comparing a supra to a Z4.

apples to oranges?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

so you're comparing a supra to a Z4.

apples to oranges?

but they are sharing the same platform, so maybe they could share transmissions and stuff? idk

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

but they are sharing the same platform, so maybe they could share transmissions and stuff? idk

oh didn't realize that. Interesting.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

oh didn't realize that. Interesting.

I thought this wasn't new already, and I even knew a while back that BMW and Toyota were kinda collabing on their new sports car, but that was back when everything was still in the air. I still wanna see a concept of the new supra that looks production ready though.

20 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=649222

first time i've actually seen one with a V6 other than the people who make the kit lol

um... so... you're prolly gonna hate me for this... isn't that how much you bought your car for?  wait, shit, thats how much I bought my car for...  dammit!

anyway, did you ecu come in yet?

I bought a Cobb AP for my sister's WRX kinda like you bought your ecu.  I found one for cheap on CL in SF, call up my buddy that lives down there, he went and bought it for me after confirming it was unmarried.  turns out it was actually brand new.  So I got a brand new Cobb AP for 450, the cheapest used one I've seen otherwise was 570-580 (for the model that the 2017 WRX needs).  should be here next week :D

on a side note, the stock WRX tune suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!!  I finally got to drive it after break in, it just cannot deliver power smoothly, you feel the power dip and bump all the way through the rev range.  at first I thought it was maybe cause the car was sitting there and the intercooler got heatsoaked (top mount and all), so I cruised at low rpm for a while to cool it down.  and same thing...  down side is no one makes an OTS map for the K&N intake I got for her... 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

8 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

um... so... you're prolly gonna hate me for this... isn't that how much you bought your car for?  wait, shit, thats how much I bought my car for...  dammit!

I bought a Cobb AP for my sister's WRX kinda like you bought your ecu.  I found one for cheap on CL in SF, call up my buddy that lives down there, he went and bought it for me after confirming it was unmarried.  turns out it was actually brand new.  So I got a brand new Cobb AP for 450, the cheapest used one I've seen otherwise was 570-580 (for the model that the 2017 WRX needs).  should be here next week :D

on a side note, the stock WRX tune suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!!  I finally got to drive it after break in, it just cannot deliver power smoothly, you feel the power dip and bump all the way through the rev range.  at first I thought it was maybe cause the car was sitting there and the intercooler got heatsoaked (top mount and all), so I cruised at low rpm for a while to cool it down.  and same thing...  down side is no one makes an OTS map for the K&N intake I got for her... 

wait, your sister has a WRX? you guys must be the coolest sibling duo EVER.

and the thing is intakes really shouldn't require a tune unless it shoves in air unless i'm looking at this all wrong.

@RevoltTrain if you ever travel abroad, maybe take a visit to malaysia and visit this shop. i'm sure you'd love it. http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/08/yhs-autonet-saab-kuala-lumpur/

Just now, terrytek said:

and the thing is intakes really shouldn't require a tune unless it shoves in air unless i'm looking at this all wrong.

well ... my sister really fucking wants an evo 8 .... while i want a volvo or saab wagon ... xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Just now, terrytek said:

if you have the same exact size MAF housing, you don't.  but the K&N one is just a pipe... K&N says it'll be ok, but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't run it without a tune.  that and her husband is super paranoid... this is his first new car purchase so he's all overprotective about it.

at one point she had an STi and I had an Evo, that was a pretty good driveway shot :D

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

mmmmm no. automakers should try to band together and find a much cleaner fuel that can basically be a direct replacement for gasoline (like you can use this fuel in old classic cars with pretty much no modification) and give off little emissions.

Yeah, good luck with that, lol. I mean, I agree to an extent, but I just can't see how anything like that could be sustainable, considering just how many thirsty vehicles are out there. 

I LOVE many things about ICE's but the truth is; they are very inefficient and "old tech". Electric motors are far more efficient and for daily driving and commercial use, they are the answer for the future. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true. The issue still stands with regards to battery tech, longevity and recharging time, but those are all things that can be developed in time. 

When it comes to racing, heck yeah, ICE's all day long. Formula E is just... strange and kinda boring to watch without the "noise". ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Yeah, good luck with that, lol. I mean, I agree to an extent, but I just can't see how anything like that could be sustainable, considering just how many thirsty vehicles are out there. 

I LOVE many things about ICE's but the truth is; they are very inefficient and "old tech". Electric motors are far more efficient and for daily driving and commercial use, they are the answer for the future. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true. The issue still stands with regards to battery tech, longevity and recharging time, but those are all things that can be developed in time. 

When it comes to racing, heck yeah, ICE's all day long. Formula E is just... strange and kinda boring to watch without the "noise". ;) 

I actually think even daily driving would be boring without noise. I like to know my car is working while it's driving, if it's silent, I become paranoid, thinking something's gone wrong.

3 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

if you have the same exact size MAF housing, you don't.  but the K&N one is just a pipe... K&N says it'll be ok, but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't run it without a tune.  that and her husband is super paranoid... this is his first new car purchase so he's all overprotective about it.

at one point she had an STi and I had an Evo, that was a pretty good driveway shot :D

well then put a tune on it then once you get the accessport.

It's kinda weird how you downgraded from an Evo to a Miata, but all in the name of fun i guess :P 

13 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

racing

Aw yus HCCI

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well then put a tune on it then once you get the accessport.

It's kinda weird how you downgraded from an Evo to a Miata, but all in the name of fun i guess :P 

tune is another $450... hence the disappointment in no OTS tune for this intake

actually I went to a Mustang GT from the Evo, I wanted low end torque :D  

then I got an RSX as a second car to track cause I came across a cheap one, after spending more in parts on it than the purchase price and realizing how crap the suspension setup on it is (literally minivan suspension), I got the miata, and my sister's engine on her sti blew, so she bought the RSX off me

5 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

tune is another $450... hence the disappointment in no OTS tune for this intake

actually I went to a Mustang GT from the Evo, I wanted low end torque :D  

then I got an RSX as a second car to track cause I came across a cheap one, after spending more in parts on it than the purchase price and realizing how crap the suspension setup on it is (literally minivan suspension), I got the miata, and my sister's engine on her sti blew, so she bought the RSX off me

so your sister went from STi to RSX to WRX i assume?

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

so your sister went from STi to RSX to WRX i assume?

well, actually, RSX to STi to RSX (different one, but also silver, now repainted white) to WRX

well, actually, RSX to STi to RSX (different one, but also silver, now repainted white) to WRX

so did you two both have an RSX at any point in time?

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so did you two both have an RSX at any point in time?

yeah, but not at the same time.  she bought her's new, I got mine with 105k on it

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

lol nah i paid $6k for mine... and put a $2k engine in it a year later but that doesn't count... right? lol

yes. surprised you didn't see my horrid soldering skils a few pages back. It's in the car and working. 

Like the original ECU I got. still thinks it's an auto. -----______-----

on the bright side I have found diagrams in japanese that can help me. lol 

scan-2-2.jpg

But really i figured out the suppossed fix is to bridge another two pins...(4Z and 4AC.. which is serial communication to the 'TCM') so I did that with a paperclip today. then my code reader refused to work at the spur of the moment (The CEL doesn't work with the other ECU... you just have to *look* manually) so there's that. 

I drove it a little ways in paperclip mode to deliver some money to the person who cuts my parent's grass since i forgot to give it to him this morning... and it seemed fine. idk. still does the odd rev-up a little thing when you push the clutch in and select a gear when it's cold. Maybe that's a 'feature' idk xD

but really i still think it's the same and it didn't do anything. idk... don't know if I care at this point. the car runs and drives fine just a couple quirks and no CEL indicator..

im still questioning why mazda left "automatic transmission mode" in a definitely manual-only ECU. the BP6D-18-881C is from the MX-5 'RS'

Spoiler

@warmmilk if I didn't have to pay someone to tune it, id honestly probably get one of these and be done with it: https://www.miataturbo.net/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/1990-2005-ms3x-diypnp-assembly-14598/

but meh i can do that after I get a *real* job. If my budget allows anyway

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I drove it a little ways in paperclip mode to deliver some money to the person who cuts my parent's grass since i forgot to give it to him this morning... and it seemed fine. idk. still does the odd rev-up a little thing when you push the clutch in and select a gear when it's cold. Maybe that's a 'feature' idk xD

so the actual driving part in gear, full throttle, part throttle, throttle modulation, that part is fine?  doesn't seam too bad...

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk if I didn't have to pay someone to tune it, id honestly probably get one of these and be done with it: https://www.miataturbo.net/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/1990-2005-ms3x-diypnp-assembly-14598/

but meh i can do that after I get a *real* job. If my budget allows anyway

haha, I was actually just gonna suggest this.  maybe you can find someone that already has a map? for stock?

also, paying someone to tune isn't always expensive...  or maybe you can learn? :D 

so the actual driving part in gear, full throttle, part throttle, throttle modulation, that part is fine?  doesn't seam too bad...

haha, I was actually just gonna suggest this.  maybe you can find someone that already has a map? for stock?

for a japanese engine. suuuuure. good luck with that xD 

i guess  i could modify the map they send me myself (I understand a lot already and am very capable of learning) but that's a little risky there isn't it... lol

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

for a japanese engine. suuuuure. good luck with that xD 

i guess  i could modify the map they send me myself (I understand a lot already and am very capable of learning) but that's a little risky there isn't it... lol

yeah, you can adjust it a little, I think there are really only 2 things to worry about between a USDM and JDM engines.  first one is AFR, and thats easy.  second would be VVT, mostly to make sure you don't adjust it to far and cause mechanical damage.  but hours of reading of the internet should help with that :D 

and here I am refusing to do my own tuning but trying to make you do it, haha

maybe I should mess with it on my current engine since I'm gonna be getting a 2.5 anyway..

Anybody ever deal with free promotions on Amazon? Ordered a tool that had a free battery promotion, tool arrived, no coupon or anything for a free battery.

Spoiler

8a0451b462.png

f2c2aa7ad6.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max