Windows Hello critical vulnerability, defeated by pictures of people's faces.

ItsMitch

A new critical bug has emerged in Windows 10 Hello which (I dunno if the LMG team uses, maybe @nicklmg can confirm or not) bypasses its authentication by a very simple printed picture. The bug is currently affecting all Windows 10 Hello machines (Version 1607 with enabled Enhanced Anti Spoofing Feature) The user in the video sets up his Windows Hello and uses a printer to get a normal picture of his face. He uses a picture of the resolution of 340x340p (which might I add, Microsoft how the fuck you break this so badly) and the picture was awfully dark, barely showed his main features. He shows it off twice and voila, it bypasses Microsoft "secure" Microsoft Hello.

If you want a quote, here you go

Windows Hello, a new face scanning security feature in Windows 10, has been defeated with the use of a printed out picture. ZDNet reports that security researchers from German firm SYSS have defeated Windows Hello on Windows 10 machines running older versions of the operating system. Multiple versions of Windows 10 are affected, and a number of different hardware.

SYSS tested Microsoft’s own Surface Pro 4 device running last year’s Windows 10 Anniversary Update, and found it was vulnerable. Even Microsoft’s anti-spoofing feature of Windows Hello didn’t help protect systems running older versions of Windows 10. SYSS found that if the anti-spoofing feature is disabled on the Creators Update (released earlier this year) or Fall Creators Update (released in October) then you can still bypass Windows Hello. Many modern laptops do not support the anti-spoofing feature of Windows Hello, so devices are still vulnerable even with the latest Windows updates.

It was also found out that SOME windows devices don't support the Anti Spoofing features

The main source is from SYSS YouTube channel demonstrating the exploit. 
Microsoft has yet to respond for comment on the matter. 

dam you screwed up microsoft. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

I dont understand? Where is the vulnerability here? its just bad software.

Fairly sure that using pictures shouldn't be able to fool Windows Hello, bad software or not, IR pictures, especially of poor quality shouldn't be able to bypass it. 

3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I dont understand? Where is the vulnerability here? its just bad software.

really? it allows anyone with a picture of your face to get in to your device. if thats not a vulnerability idk what is

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Fairly sure that using pictures shouldn't be able to fool Windows Hello, bad software or not, IR pictures, especially of poor quality shouldn't be able to bypass it. 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

really? it allows anyone with a picture of your face to get in to your device. if thats not a vulnerability idk what is

A vulnerability is a defect in code that allows you to bypass. A face recognition software being bad at recognizing faces is not that. Its just a crap algorithm. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

The camera is detecting his real face that's popping out from behind the paper. This test if f*cking bullsh*t! They can like find something more productive like go to IKEA and get a proper desk for that Surface Pro instead of plopping it on top of a printer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

A vulnerability is a defect in code that allows you to bypass. A face recognition software being bad at recognizing faces is not that. Its just a crap algorithm. 

Fairly sure you need code to make a software, just doesn't poof out of thin air, Microsoft still fucked up. 

Jokes on them, my laptop doesn't even support it :P But seriously, that has to be one poorly thought out algorithm if its defeated by low res pictures. (Wasn't Windows Hello supposed to have depth detection too?)

Edit: Another thought, they might need to disable supporting facial logins when lighting is poor

8 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Jokes on them, my laptop doesn't even support it :P But seriously, that has to be one poorly thought out algorithm if its defeated by low res pictures. (Wasn't Windows Hello supposed to have depth detection too?)

Edit: Another thought, they might need to disable supporting facial logins when lighting is poor

I have it but I don't use it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Matu20 said:

Not surprised at all, notebook webcams are horrible.

this is a 1080p one. its a microsoft surface 4 so its not bad and microsoft should have it working on their own devices  properly. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Looks back at all the shade people tried to throw on Apple

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Can we just get rid of face recognition seems like there are more issues than benefits. Why is it so hard to type in a password...or use the fingerprint reader which is built into everything these days..I mean you can even get fingerprint locks for your goddamn fridge

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Can we just get rid of face recognition seems like there are more issues than benefits. Why is it so hard to type in a password...or use the fingerprint reader which is built into everything these days..I mean you can even get fingerprint locks for your goddamn fridge

Or maybe an Iris scanner that's well developed and a fingerprint reader for the ultra security conscious, in that way if someone wants to steal your computer, they'll need to steal your life. 

8 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

You mean *gasp* using someone's face, an incredibly non-unique biometric, as authentication over fingerprints or passwords actually isn't that secure?

How strange.

Eh, if it's topographically mapped as well it's pretty unique. Course, that requires a hell of a lot more sophistication than Windows Hello.

This is why:

PIN/Passcode (most secure) > fingerprint ID >  facial recognition (least secure)

Also, it would be better if Windows 10 will add a similar anti-brute force feature similar to smartphones which will wipe out all data after ten accumulated failed PIN/password attempts especially if Device Encryption is enabled. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

You mean *gasp* using someone's face, an incredibly non-unique biometric, as authentication over fingerprints or passwords actually isn't that secure?

How strange.

Face security is fine when it's done well.  This is why Apple bent over backwards with its depth sensing approach to Face ID -- so you couldn't fool it with a photo. The problem is that Hello just isn't as sophisticated.

11 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Could one argue that a bad algorithm or bad implementation of an algorithm is a defect in the code?

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Name me one way except a passphrase that's actually hard to find that's secure. Someone can lift your fingerprints pretty easily. Eyeballs are a pain in the ass so nobody wants to use that, especially if you have glasses/contact lenses. Just use a random passphrase. It's not rocket science.

A) Using an irrelevant and out of date version of Windows 10

B) I'm calling bullshit.

C) I'm calling bullshit.

Too many "security researches" claim they find shit but it's just a bunch of lies with stuff like the iPhone 10.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Microsoft really need to face up to this.

I hope this is fixable. I understand the convenience behind things like Windows Hello and Face ID, but at the cost of security is it really more convenient?