How illegal is downloading a torrent?

IamODIN

Say like i downloaded Photoshop and using it. 

will i go to jail in the US? and if yes. how long?

Just now, IamODIN said:

will i go to jail? and if yes. how long?

No, they dont really do anything about it, they arent gonna arrest the 500k people who did.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I doubt many companies would jump through lots of hoops to sue an individual downloader, but if you stick a giant target on your back, kind of like what you're doing now, you may draw the attention of some intimidating-looking men in suits.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The police is on their way as we speak.

/s

You could be taken to court, but you're not that interesting of a target: unless you start spreading around the torrent.

But if you don't want to pay for your crap, just get free/open source crap.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

likely not. possible? yes. 

they tend to go after businesses and such more than individuals. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1) It's not criminal, you can't be arrested for it

2) It is illegal, a violation of CIVIL law, you could be SUED FOR IT but for individual users it's not that likely.

3) If you use pirated creative software to produce creative works for profit then the copyright holder could also sue for money you made using their pirated software.  By purchasing software you also enter an agreement where the software developer has waved any rights to what you produce with their software.  You can actually find a number of stories of even large companies that had to pay through the nose because they got caught pirating software that they used to run their businesses.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

1) It's not criminal, you can't be arrested for it

2) It is illegal, a violation of CIVIL law, you could be SUED FOR IT but for individual users it's not that likely.

3) If you use pirated creative software to produce creative works for profit then the copyright holder could also sue for money you made using their pirated software.  By purchasing software you also enter an agreement where the software developer has waved any rights to what you produce with their software.  You can actually find a number of stories of even large companies that had to pay through the nose because they got caught pirating software that they used to run their businesses.

@IamODIN the short answer is if you "acquire" it to learn the software or do stuff as a hobby? Not really that big of a deal - though I don't advocate for pirating software.

But as soon as you want to earn money? You damn well better have a valid license.

Frankly, Photoshop is pretty affordable now as part of Creative Cloud monthly subscription - even more so if you are still a student, since there's additional discount for students.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Torrents are completely legal... It's the content that you are illegal obtaining that is the problem. But to answer your intended question, no. You won't get in any trouble. At all. As long as you aren't the source of the content, you are okay. Nobody will enforce laws on someone who downloaded Photoshop for free.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

The worst that will happen is Your ISP will see your torrenting and they will send you a notice to stop, and if you don’t they can stop providing you service.

i think it’s like 6 notices and then they cancel your service (for my ISP atleast) 

Mine only sent letters when I torrented tv shows. Never for games or software have I gotten a letter 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

you will more likly to get a warning from your ISP if they are are tracking your history

lives on

BAKABT

You don't download a torrent, you torrent a torrent. Torrents are both downloads (leech) as well as uploads (seed) by default. It's the upload part that is illegal depending on the thing being torrented. US copyright law only mentions distributing material, it does not mention receiving copyrighted material.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

It depends what you are downloaded via a torrent file. Many Linux distributions offer downloading the ISO file via torrent and that would be legal. However, downloading copyrighted content via torrenting (unless allowed by the studio) is not. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

It depends what you are downloaded via a torrent file. Many Linux distributions offer downloading the ISO file via torrent and that would be legal. However, downloading copyrighted content via torrenting (unless allowed by the studio) is not. 

really? wow. so its almost like a hypocritical thing then

32 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

really? wow. so its almost like a hypocritical thing then

It’s not hypocritical. P2P/torrenting is just an alternative way to distribute files which is much convenient that direct downloads and since operating systems like Linux distros are big files, torrenting is very convenient especially for people with slower connections. However, torrenting is also being used for piracy which is why the pirate bay was shutdown years ago and the same fate happened to other torrenting sites. 

Back in early 2000s, music piracy via P2P is widespread. Anyone in their 20s probably remembers the programs Limewire, etc. 

LimeWire2.PNG.42ece732e669612ca88fb8b8bdca7fb2.PNG

But it has been shutdown since it’s a very good way of infecting PCs with viruses. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, Clockwork_princess said:

The worst that will happen is Your ISP will see your torrenting and they will send you a notice to stop, and if you don’t they can stop providing you service.

i think it’s like 6 notices and then they cancel your service (for my ISP atleast) 

Mine only sent letters when I torrented tv shows. Never for games or software have I gotten a letter 

to get around this you could always use a VPN

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Just don't pick a shitty one like Tunnelbear. A lot of VPns block all P2P traffic.

yeah i made that mistake lol. i bought a year of tunnelbear, figured out i couldnt torrent, emailed tunnel bear support and they refunded me

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

5 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

It’s not hypocritical. P2P/torrenting is just an alternative way to distribute files which is much convenient that direct downloads and since operating systems like Linux distros are big files, torrenting is very convenient especially for people with slower connections. However, torrenting is also being used for piracy which is why the pirate bay was shutdown years ago and the same fate happened to other torrenting sites. 

Back in early 2000s, music piracy via P2P is widespread. Anyone in their 20s probably remembers the programs Limewire, etc. 

But it has been shutdown since it’s a very good way of infecting PCs with viruses. 

From what I remember, Limewire wasn't shut down because it was notorious for spreading viruses. Rather, it  was shut down to do the widespread piracy it brought upon. Much the same way Megaupload was taken down in 2012.

21 hours ago, IamODIN said:

will i go to jail in the US? and if yes. how long?

If Adobe finds out and decide to press charges, you can be fined and potentially jailed. That being said, at this point there hasn't really been a company that has targeted end-users on a large scale for piracy. They mostly target the distributors of the pirated content and heaven forbid, other companies that use this pirated software.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Let's first establish that downloading torrents in general is not illegal - downloading paid software for free is.

As for what could happen to you, you could definitely be fined and possibly go to jail if you do it a lot.

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

it  was shut down to do the widespread piracy it brought upon. Much the same way Megaupload was taken down in 2012.

Of course, it's all nonsense - in fact, megaupload was taken down 100% illegally, but the FBI is above the law apparently.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Let's first establish that downloading torrents in general is not illegal - downloading paid software for free is.

As for what could happen to you, you could definitely be fined and possibly go to jail if you do it a lot.

Of course, it's all nonsense - in fact, megaupload was taken down 100% illegally, but the FBI is above the law apparently.

When large sums of money is in the equation, anything and anyone can be above the law. That's how our world works sadly.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580