AMD Ryzen 2 Pinnacle Ridge 12nm CPUs

Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,
Just now, JDE said:

Maybe since this is a refresh of Ryzen, and not a new architecture

More than likely. Just as its the first tech/news place I've seen call it Ryzen 2(so far anyways) I was curious if thats just their nicknaming for it, or it it actually will be called Ryzen 2.

This is from the Dutch tech website Tweakers so I'll throw it through the translator:

According to the Taiwan newspaper DigiTimes, AMD arrives in February 2018 with the first Ryzen processors made on the GlobalFoundries 12nm process. Also, new chipsets for motherboards would come. In the Ryzen 7-, 5- and 3-series new 12nm models are expected. Probably it's a refresh of current models, with minor improvements like a slightly higher clock speed. It would be about cpu's with the code name Pinnacle Ridge. DigiTimes says the information is from motherboard manufacturers. The newspaper is known for its good sources in Taiwanese brands such as Asus, Gigabyte and ASRock. The release of the 12nm processors was due to the arrival of new chipsets in March: X470 and B450. What motherboards with this chipset have to offer compared to the current X370 and B350 variants, is not yet known. Probably the new cpu will also work on the current motherboards, such compatibility has already promised AMD. AMD announced last week about moving to the 12nm procedure of GlobalFoundries for Ryzen CPUs and Vega GPUs, but did not specify when the first products were to be expected. According to DigiTimes, a refresh of Ryzen 7 comes first, followed by the cheaper models. In April a series of economical Ryzen processors will follow and in May a refresh of Ryzen Pro will be expected at 12nm. Beginning this week, a Spanish website showed an image that would show the AMD roadmap to 2019. It is not clear whether this roadmap is true and whether all information is correct. The code name Pinnacle Ridge matches the information of DigiTimes. On the roadmap, AMD will come with Zen 2 in 2019, the successor to Ryzen, which will be produced at 7 pm. The code name for that would be Matisse. Also, the roadmap that shows the Raven Ridge Apu's next year with Zen-cores and a Vega-GPU. These would have up to eight threads and the GPU would have up to eleven computing units. The RX Vega 56 and 64 video cards have 56 and 64 cu respectively. There are apu's that can be tricked into AM4 motherboards, but they also come to FP5 socket laptops.

Source: 

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/130097/amd-komt-in-februari-2018-met-refresh-van-ryzen-processors-gemaakt-op-12nm.html

Thoughts? If true it shouldn't bum out current Ryzen owners. Hell, we don't even know for sure if the same motherboard socket can be used but it is likely knowing AMD. 

2001667999.jpeg

nice

probably the same socket, but a different chipset.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

As I said before, if this refresh can overclock to 4.5GHz+, it's going to be a hit :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

AyyMD go for it , i hope it comes with 5-10% IPC improvement, 15% lower power draw, 3-400 mhz higher clock speeds and fixed all quirks of 1st gen ryzen like memory issues.

Those would be some winner cpu's for a refresh.  Even intel at its worst still had 5% improvement and 10-15% in some isolated benchmark cases.

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If this refresh can overclock to 4.5GHz+, it's going to be a hit :D

I doubt it would go that far but we'll see. :P from how I understand it it's just some refinement here and there. 

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

This is a repost right?

Oh woops. If it is then close it. I looked around a bit but didn't find anything resembling a title like this. 

I hope it is true so Intel doesn't take too long on those sweet 10nm processors.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, yian88 said:

AyyMD go for it , i hope it comes with 5-10% IPC improvement, 15% lower power draw, 3-400 mhz higher clock speeds and fixed all quirks of 1st gen ryzen like memory issues.

Those would be some winner cpu's for a refresh.  Even intel at its worst still had 5% improvement and 10-15% in some isolated benchmark cases.

Shouldnt be any IPC improvement. The table says it is still Summit Ridge architecture just a performance uplift like clock speed and power draw. Both are welcome!

I build PCs as a hobby. 

2 minutes ago, skyler_mertz said:

Shouldnt be any IPC improvement. The table says it is still Summit Ridge architecture just a performance uplift like clock speed and power draw. Both are welcome!

Minor improvements can come from node shrinks.

Improving subsystems like cache structure and IMC can also yield per clock improvements, if said subsystems bottleneck IPC at any capacity.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It clearly says socket AM4 on those slides :P 

24 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Hell, we don't even know for sure if the same motherboard socket can be used but it is likely knowing AMD.

If anything about this report is correct I don't see why the socket compatibility wouldn't be.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It clearly says socket AM4 on those slides :P 

If anything about this report is correct I don't see why the socket compatibility wouldn't be.

Because the slides aren't confirmed 100% true afaik. :P

28 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Hell, we don't even know for sure if the same motherboard socket can be used but it is likely knowing AMD.

IIRC they promised like 4 years of CPU support for the platform

1 minute ago, ignaloidas said:

IIRC they promised like 4 years of CPU support for the platform

Yep true, but idk if that also is true for refreshes, but honestly it's likely the same socket. 

4 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Yep true, but idk if that also is true for refreshes, but honestly it's likely the same socket. 

I can't imagine it being false, as they've done this for a while, most notably recent of which was Bulldozer to Piledriver, both on AM3+ (albeit needing BIOS updates).

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

42 minutes ago, ignaloidas said:

If they will update that quickly for long, intel is gonna go panic mode for sure

it isn't an update so much as a refresh. it similar to intel going from haswell to devils cannon. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 minutes ago, Tedny said:

waiting news for  rushing Cannonlake than, hehe 

Cannonlake is dead for Mainstream.  Icelake rush would be what Intel does, but they're locked in a bit for that schedule already.

Earliest we'd see the new CPUs is probably April/May. A staggered release from June through August makes the most sense. As it was, AMD rushed out the Ryzen 7. There won't be a need for a new chipset, as these are "refreshes" with maybe a some update to the IMC.

First post in tech/news.

According to motherboard manufacturers (unconfirmed which ones), AMD has advised them that the "Ryzen 2" or code-name "Pinnacle" CPUs will be released February, followed by the 5 and 3 chips in March.

Lower powered chips will be ready in April (Mobile maybe) and enterprise in May.

400 series chipsets will be released in March, which is weird considering the CPUs are being released in February. The X470 and B450 chipsets will obviously work with these new chips, and I assume older B350 and X370 will work too, as promised by AMD.

AMD readies 12nm Ryzen processors

Original article here : https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170927PD212.html

Let's hope for better IPC and better clockspeeds?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

GF 14nm -> 12nm shouldn't show any major change, single core will be probably same as with current but overclocked Ryzen (160-170CB).

I am excited for the new mobos if the ol' chips will work with them.

I might buy X470 just for the lulz and hope someone will implement IR3575 (and charge a fortune for it XD)

The actual change will be with 7nm, that is a huge improvement and should tie with intel on the IPC side.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

well AMD said that Zen 2 would be compatible with the current motherboard IIRC, i know they said compatible with AM4, but im not 100% about the current motherboards one, only pretty sure. anyway this is great, i really hope they have gotten some work done on that IMC

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

right now ryzen is staying at kind of 4ghz overclocking boundary. if it increases to 4.5ghz atleast, things gonna get really interesting ;)