The following is an open letter to Linus Media Group

================================================================

Good Afternoon Linus-

As a father of two in his mid 30’s, one who shares a passion about computer performance, an IT professional of 15 years, and an avid subscriber of your channel for the last several years I would like to offer some constructive criticism about your channel in the last several months.

Don’t get me wrong I love your sense of humor and your realistic outlook on life and tech, but I’m going to list a few recent examples below of where all this went sideways…

-          1920 x 1080 Meme PC:  This was just a trolling video right? 

-          How many PCIe Extensions: You never tested latency, which is the main concern of extending the signal length; therefore missing the value of the content.

-          $140,000 on 8k Camera:  The extra step to compare this solution to others on the market would have then how much longer? 

-          Anti-RGB PC:  Again, a troll build? It seemed to me that you were just intentionally wasting valuable PC parts that many of your watchers could only dream to own.

-          Thumbnails:  Just look at your thumbnails and captions recently.. is the objective to be a meme of yourself, to be the Jester of the industry, or to be a serious technology reviewer in an entertaining way.  Do these thumbnails represent your “brand”?

I would like to offer up some ideas from a layman’s perspective since in your recent WAN show; it sounded like you were out of “good” ideas. 

-          Budget Build-Outs:  Taking the concept of Scrapyard Wars; give MSI/Gigabyte/etc.. a budget and tell them to either send out a rep or send you parts that meet that budget.  Compare the solutions they provide.   This can be done quarterly at different budgets.

-          Guest Hosts:  There are a lot of very specialized areas of the industry.  Bring in some experts from the various niche groups to show off a small sample of their work and how they do a portion of their “art”.  (Think case designers/Custom water loops)

-          Wired vs Wireless vs 4g:  Technology is always evolving and it seems like wireless technologies are almost matching the speed and latency of a decent wired connection.  Compare various routers to wired (100/1000Mbps) connections.

-          WiFi Saturation: Many of our homes have more wireless connections than we realize.  Compare many common wireless routers and identify when each router starts to see latency issues with 5/10/15 connections.  The connections should also be playing games/watching youtube/Netflix much like in our homes.

-          Scrapyard Quickies:  If you look back at your history of Scrapyard Wars, you will note that Episode 1 usually has more views than subsequent episodes.  Although this might seem counterintuitive to fans like me, your audience speaks volumes.  As I’m sure your time is hard to come by... I would start using your other staff as the participants against each other.  They should order the parts from Amazon (with links to your affiliate of course) and can include used parts from amazon.  This cuts down the travel/filming/editing time associated with the project, and ultimately a quick buildout, benchmark, and vote by you and Luke.   45 minute episodes monthly would keep the fans happy.

If you find any of this helpful, possibly even resulting in video production; I request no direct compensation.  I’m rocking a Sandy Bridge 2500k and an Radeon 7700  on my “main” rig, so perhaps a fair deal on any last gen parts you need to clear out would be helpful but not expected.

There are many, many, many more ideas that I have but wanted to keep this fairly brief. 

If you find these ideas more than just a little helpful and you would like to discuss them in more detail I can make myself available for a conference call and have an LLC that would allow me to be a remote consultant if you would like. 

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherGamerInHis30s said:

It seemed to me that you were just intentionally wasting valuable PC parts that many of your watchers could only dream to own.

yeah kids in africa could have eaten those pc parts

Anyway , they know how to run their company better than you do dude. Don't be surprised if they 100% ignore everything you say and go with whatever brings home the bacon.

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i will tag Linus so he can see it@LinusTech 

Thank you. 

If there are other ideas on how this message can be spread across the community feel free to contribute.  I have looked at many of your comments and my thoughts here mimic a vocal majority of your own.

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherGamerInHis30s said:

If you find any of this helpful, possibly even resulting in video production; I request no direct compensation.  I’m rocking a Sandy Bridge 2500k and an Radeon 7700  on my “main” rig, so perhaps a fair deal on any last gen parts you need to clear out would be helpful but not expected.

lol , lowkey begging for parts.

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

The weird meme-y stuff brings in the goods for them.

Same as this forum, which once upon a time was a place where people people expressed themselves through computers and mods to them, different ways to rig them up, solutions to problems nobody knew how to fix. Now it seems as though it's starting to turn into a place for people to vent their personality in any way they feel is ok.

And the majority likes that, so that's how it'll stay.

Far better than another forum I tried to be in, about Toyota's (cars). They're the most pretentious bunch, who will literally cuss any newcomer out if they don't demonstrate a huge depth of knowledge in cars.

As long as we don't hit that point I'm fine

Shipping sucks

7 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

lol

Agreed, if this guy is some hot shot in the IT business with 15 years experience and seriously cares about PC performance... Why could he not just purchase a new high end enthusiast build rather than trying to get some parts off Linus?

Edit: Oh and by the way, your tags sound like Trump. Hahaha.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

16 minutes ago, JustAnotherGamerInHis30s said:

Thumbnails:  Just look at your thumbnails and captions recently.. is the objective to be a meme of yourself, to be the Jester of the industry, or to be a serious technology reviewer in an entertaining way.  Do these thumbnails represent your “brand”?

Completely agree. However, they have stated that these retarded thumbnails result in more clicks, and thus more views. That is sad, but it's all about the clicks.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

Far better than another forum I tried to be in, about Toyota's (cars). They're the most pretentious bunch, who will literally cuss any newcomer out if they don't demonstrate a huge depth of knowledge in cars.

that's every linux forum I've ever been to. linux people hate newcomers that don't immediately submit to their knowledge. lol

18 minutes ago, JustAnotherGamerInHis30s said:

-snip-

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

3 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Edit: Oh and by the way, you tags sound like Trump. Hahaha.

what?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, Orangeator said:

His tags for this post, "bad videos", "the best ideas", "the biggest ideas".

oh lol

Make a diss track on Linus! Diss Tracks are the hip thing to do!

Spoiler

/s

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Ahem. Thank you for telling them the opposite of what their marketing team (probably) is. They have a video 'formula' that works and makes money for them, so they don't care what other people think. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

Ahem. Thank you for telling them the opposite of what their marketing team (probably) is. They have a video 'formula' that works and makes money for them, so they don't care what other people think. 

Ur sig is 3D on my phone

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

27 minutes ago, JustAnotherGamerInHis30s said:

wow i initially didn't even see how sleazy this part was.

10 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

That was the first full LTT video I've watched in about a year, really good one

Shipping sucks

3 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Ur sig is 3D on my phone

Wait wut?? Attach a screenshot :D

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

32 minutes ago, JustAnotherGamerInHis30s said:

Anti-RGB PC:  Again, a troll build? It seemed to me that you were just intentionally wasting valuable PC parts that many of your watchers could only dream to own.

Yes! It's their dumbest video to date.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, Slick said:

This topics purpose has now been changed to posting funny dancing gifs.

Please proceed accordingly.

And if we don't?...

So basically every complaint on that list has already been addressed in various other places, and as for the suggestions... with the exception of completely destroying the rather popular Scrapyard wars... haven't they already done pretty much everything else at one point? So basically what I'm getting from this post is just another person trying to look smart by jumping on the "Let's whine about the way Linus does things but still keep watching" train... And btw. the people who yell the loudest aren't necessarily the majority.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

3 minutes ago, Alariel said:

the people who yell the loudest aren't necessarily the majority.

westboro baptist church effectively