Pewdiepie uses racial slur on livestream of PUBG, Firewatch dev files DMCA

I'd imagine countless other streamers use words like these on a daily basis. Of course 2 camps will form for and against this shit. 

Its a win for the game and a win for pewdiepie. 

Might probably boost his channel to 60m as well. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, mr moose said:

But that's exactly their right as copyright owners, they get to decide who is can use it and who can't.    

Whether we like what Sean is doing or not, he isn't exactly showing favoritism or abusing laws.

As long as what Pewd is doing falls under the definition of Fair Use (critique is fair use for instance), the developer has no legal right to use the copyright law to take his videos down.

Whether or not something constitutes Fair Use is a bit complicated though, and it's unclear whether what Pewd did is indeed Fair Use. But if it is then the dev has no right to take his videos down whether they call the game a marvel or a cuntfest.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Whats strange to me is that developer of FIREWATCH decided to file the claim after watching a PUBG stream. So, if he was fine with the way his game was presented and is just baffled by the use of word nigger, whats his legal ground? Its like michael bay decides that he doesnt want anybody reviewing his transformer movies given they have called the cast of new ghostbusters cunts

1 hour ago, Muffinmaddness said:

In some minor tech news ( as its kinda relates to youtube/twitch

well done. He just wants attention and achieved his goal with you spreading the word

Just now, hobobobo said:

Whats strange to me is that developer of FIREWATCH decided to file the claim after watching a PUBG stream. So, if he was fine with the way his game was presented and is just baffled by the use of word nigger, whats his legal ground? Its like michael bay decides that he doesnt want anybody reviewing his transformer movies given they have called the cast of new ghostbusters cunts

If that's what it is, then there is no legal grounds and it's just a case of someone thinking that it's cool to be an asshole if you feel justified. Which is a problem that plagues the internet and especially team games like Dota :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not for fair use, just for regular licensing. They're assuming that they provide free, no questions asked licensing to anyone who wants to stream when the argument is that no permission is needed if it counts as fair use by nature of being transformative.

As I said game streaming probably gets to the very edge of what's truly fair use and is just as likely to be considered over said edge if it makes it to court. But we'll see. So yes technically correct but there's still another argument that could potentially be made.

19 minutes ago, Energycore said:

As long as what Pewd is doing falls under the definition of Fair Use (critique is fair use for instance), the developer has no legal right to use the copyright law to take his videos down.

Whether or not something constitutes Fair Use is a bit complicated though, and it's unclear whether what Pewd did is indeed Fair Use. But if it is then the dev has no right to take his videos down whether they call the game a marvel or a cuntfest.

See my earlier post,  Fair use is a defense not a mitigation strategy,    In many cases the simple fact PDP makes money from the stream makes it much harder for him to claim fair use as it isn't transformative (like a parody). In fact much of game streaming doesn't meet the requirements for protection under fair use, especially if their is a note in the EULA about it or they have streamed the same game more than once.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

well done. He just wants attention and achieved his goal with you spreading the word

As opposed to the major publications commenting on it,...yeah I'm to blame here.

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If that's what it is, then there is no legal grounds and it's just a case of someone thinking that it's cool to be an asshole if you feel justified. Which is a problem that plagues the internet and especially team games like Dota :P

Well, in dota at least it all just for teh drama and soldi. Here a dude suddenly retrospectivly decided that he does not want his game to be presented by somebody coz, after the fact of his game getting marketing and pewds getting moneyz, he, for some reason, thinks the coverage and image of the game are gonna be damaged by a stream of an unrelated game. And coz its a DMCA claim, he doesnt even really claim all of the above, just "its mine you cant use it fuck off".

Its like the law for protection of the feelings of believers in Russia, easiest think to sue on, like a dude posted a pic on his blog saying "Fuck god" and got sued for not capitalizing god :D damn i need some vitamins to not die of this sudden mass empaphy for the meek

If this guy thinks Pewdiepie is an actual racist then he is deluded. But he probably doesn't actually believe that, just someone who enjoys virtue signalling on top of his high horse. 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

14 minutes ago, Muffinmaddness said:

As opposed to the major publications commenting on it,...yeah I'm to blame here.

fair point

Some edgelords here have to remember it's not that he said it, it's that he said it in a derogatory way. 

Now bombard me with 'you filthy SJW!' 

As idubbbz said:

Spoiler

"All of you people out there who hold these words at such high esteem, you are giving it the power that you so desperately want it to not have."

And I bet that the people who wrote the articles have never played an online game in their lives because if they had they would know that, sometimes, if you are really into the game and someone annoys the fuck out of you, you want to insult him in the worst way possible. 

I'm not saying that what Pewdiepie said was right, but it really doesn't deserve all this media coverage -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

fair point

The point of the post was not pewdie said this! news ( as I cant stand him) but the point of a dev of a different game claiming DMCA on videos because a streamer said the word *Nigger* on a stream of a different game by a different company, that's why I believe it to be news worthy ... let me be clear, I don't wish to promote pewd's (not like he needs me to) but the situation as far as im aware hasn't happened before or, hasn't happened to a prominent figure in streaming/youtube =) sorry if that wasnt clear by my posting of this. =) 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Lol... this is hilarious. He said it without thinking in the heat of the moment. A YouTuber says something pretty off the wall, obviously recognized it and said he didn't mean it like that, and yet someone still gets butt hurt. Let's see how many times in life someone has done something without thinking, like cops sometimes, and never get reprimanded for it. They should be happy they are making tons of money. Racial slurs and even offensive language is said on gaming ALL THE TIME. Get over yourselves CampoSanto. He wasn't even playing your damn game when he said it.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

Attorney Leonard French has chimed in on the issue, perhaps it's a good idea to add to the OP

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

@Muffinmaddness if you paste a YouTube link (without BBCodes) it will automatically parse it and embed the video :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

@Muffinmaddness if you paste a YouTube link (without BBCodes) it will automatically parse it and embed the video :)

thank you im in a mess of chrome tabs here trying to find out how to do it xD

Specs 

he would be filing DMCA take downs on pewd's videos of their games. 
Do you agree?  

No, the DMCA has nothing to do with this. Either he could post the video to begin with (which he most likely could due to fair use) or he couldn't, in which case neither could every other youtuber that made a similar video - his other videos and streams are completely unrelated. Firewatch's devs would have all the rights to end a sponsorship deal with him, but not to DMCA his video.

54 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

-Fry quote-

While I like Stephen Fry as an actor I find this sort of statement very misguided, and he tends to make a lot of them. The phrase "I'm offended" has a very precise meaning and indicates that you're making a person uncomfortable and uneasy - it's a person's way of telling you that you're being a dick. Just because sometimes it can be used as a poor cop-out in a losing argument, you have to realize not everyone is here to win arguments. Many people are unaware of internet "street cred" and the array of nonsensical parameters that determine the "winner" of an argument. Before dismissing another person's point of view simply because they stated you're offending them, try to understand what exactly is offending them - is it your sensible argument, or the way you're shoving it in their face with a smug air of superiority and no respect for their point of view? Have you considered that these are human beings and are unlikely to instantly change their mind the moment you present a reasonable argument?

55 minutes ago, mr moose said:

But that's exactly their right as copyright owners, they get to decide who can use it and who can't.    

Whether we like what Sean is doing or not, he isn't exactly showing favoritism or abusing laws.

They really don't, there are fair use laws that allow the use of copyrighted work in transformative products (such as a commentary/gameplay video) without the holder's permission. Watching PDP play a game is hardly the same as playing it yourself - unless the game requires almost no user interaction, in which case it's better classified as a movie as far as I'm concerned.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can't wait for the memes.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

stephen_fry_offended.jpg

I love this quote. I can only recommend people watch John Cleese's video on the same topic here:

Seriously, stop this retarded nonsense. If you're offended, that's your problem. The end.

That being said ALL adults understand that any and all quotes are completely useless if you don't have context. CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING! It's horrifying how few adults even realize this, but it's really not that difficult to understand.

As for the snowflake indie dev (why are all indie devs such idiots?). Legally he has no leg to stand on. I really don't understand why fake DMCA's aren't illegal with a proper fine.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

use the DMCA to issue a takedown that isn’t actually for a copyright issue.

Isn't fraudulent use of DMCA a felony?

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

1 hour ago, hobobobo said:

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Well, no, there is legal grounds.  Permission was granted with no specific terms agreed to.  As such the Dev can revoke that permission what what ever reasons or motivations as they see fit.

There is a seperate issue of 'Is streaming fair use?' and that is really up in the air with some companies making claims and being able to hold them without much trouble.  But this is really something to debate in the courts, it's far too murky and complicated to reliably argue from our perspective of 'Arm Chair Lawyers'.  However, if it's not fair use, and the dev gave permission for their content to be used and there's no contractual definition as to how long that permission will stand, then it can be revoked on a whim.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, no, there is legal grounds.  Permission was granted with no specific terms agreed to.  As such the Dev can revoke that permission what what ever reasons or motivations as they see fit.

There is a seperate issue of 'Is streaming fair use?' and that is really up in the air with some companies making claims and being able to hold them without much trouble.  But this is really something to debate in the courts, it's far too murky and complicated to reliably argue from our perspective of 'Arm Chair Lawyers'.  However, if it's not fair use, and the dev gave permission for their content to be used and there's no contractual definition as to how long that permission will stand, then it can be revoked on a whim.

Yes, you can revoke that permission on a whim, but only for the future content. Not retroactivly. They gave the video on their game the green light, they profited from it and, as i see it, there is zero ground. Streaming doesnt have to do anything with the question, its not like its PUBG devs who are unhappy, they would be in their right to limit the coverage of the game by undesirable actors.

The retardation with this case is strong, nothing to do with streaming, nothing to do with pubg, random nigger in the middle of a sentence and a dev of a game everybody forgotten exists suddenly decides that pdp is their brand representative and his image and actions have direct reprocussions on the product.

I guess the point im trying to get to is that you cant suddenly decide that an unrelated piece of content damages your product, unless the person producing the content is contractually a representative of your brand. I mean they give an explicit license to do whatever with their game. If they really want to pull it down they will have to find something in the youtube video of their game to back up the claim, and still they would be kinda on shaky grounds. There is no taksy-backsy in law

7 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Yes, you can revoke that permission on a whim, but only for the future content. Not retroactivly.

No, you can totally revoke it at will.  There was no agreement to allow copyrighted content to be used for perpetuity.  There would need to be an agreement for their content to be used perpetually or for a specific term.  None of this is set.  The agreement, even if just implied by granting permission for streamers in a comment on their site, can be revoked as the dev sees fit and they can have all previous uses taken down.

From a legal perspective, as much as you may not LIKE IT, it's a pretty straight forward issue.

Again, as to weather streaming is fair use or not, that is a HECK of a lot less straight forward and all the conjecture in the world is no replacement for testing it in the courts and setting legal precedents.  But for sure, a dev is absolutely in the right, assuming it's not fair use, to come in an have any usage of their content taken down, for whatever reasons they so choose.

Similarly, if I grant you permission to enter my home, the moment I decide to order you to exit my home and you do not immediately comply, you are trespassing.